PDA

View Full Version : Dog waste clean up franchise idea

Steve
09-19-2008, 04:43 PM
If I were to make a dog waste clean up franchise, I would call it Pooper Scooters. The pooper scooter would have a trailer attached to it that would have a large sign to promote it. It would also have a shovel and a utility box to hold bags, invoices etc.

The rider's helmet would have dog ears on it as well. Maybe even some kind of costume.

The slogan would be "We pick up Fido's poo, so you don't have too."

This would be a great add on service to sell to existing lawn care business clients. It could be started with a minimal investment. It is a service that would be easy to perform as well.

justin_time
09-19-2008, 05:46 PM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/petwaste.jpg

Steve
09-19-2008, 06:04 PM
That is sooo funny. I love the bumper sticker and the license plate.

Steve
09-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I was doing a little searching and found something similar. Very creative!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Dvqp85dlTg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Dvqp85dlTg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CloseCuts
01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Has anyone ever tried this type of work. I mean I know its a ****ty job and somones got to do it. But how much would you charge for a service like that?

Steve
01-17-2009, 08:48 PM
As I look around the internet for pricing, it seems these pet waste disposal companies charge between $10 and $20 a visit. Although I do wonder if you are already at a location performing lawn care, you could probably add on the service as an upsell for cheaper possibly depending on the time it takes.

CloseCuts
01-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Yea thats a great idea.

musician/lawnman
01-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Steve,
Where did those first two photos come from?

Did you just come up with the idea & photoshop them?

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 11:38 AM
we still have yet to have anyone around my areas to do this service...I remember talking about this on the forums about 3 years ago.

I thought it was a silly service before but now that I am trying to expand and grow and I realized that crap = money

I think I am going to try this service add on this year.

CloseCuts
01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Ritch tell me how it works out because I'm thinking about adding it to my business also.

Steve
01-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Where did those first two photos come from?

Did you just come up with the idea & photoshop them?

LOL yea.

I was hoping the idea would inspire someone to do it.

CloseCuts
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey guys found this website. Should help your price a little bit. http://www.stinkies.net/residential-service.html

EasyPro
01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
https://www.petbutler.com/pbx/

Steve
01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Oh very interesting! $14 per weekly visit, but I am thinking that if you are already there mowing, you could maybe lower that or just keep it and see how that goes.

CloseCuts
01-20-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking about going with there prices when I start out at first Steve. Just to see how it goes and then after a few months or even after the first year adjust the prices to where they need to be. Whether that be lower or higher.

EasyPro
01-21-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm thinking about going with there prices when I start out at first Steve. Just to see how it goes and then after a few months or even after the first year adjust the prices to where they need to be. Whether that be lower or higher.

I dunno about you guys but i would DEFF not LOWER em .. .

CloseCuts
01-24-2009, 08:51 PM
no i wouldn't lower it unless i was cutting grass on the same day and even then they might only get a dollar off if any at all.

Steve
01-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Keep us posted on how the customers react to your marketing of this service. It should be very interesting.

CloseCuts
02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Hey Steve,
I was looking in my phone book to see if there is anyone who removes dog waste and there wasn't even a section. I even looked under pets. I'm going to try to get my name in there and i would be the only one. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of anyone in there phone books who does this and what would it actually be under?

Steve
02-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Thats a good question and the thing I wonder is this. If we can't figure it out, would anyone be able to figure it out and look it up in a phone book? I guess it could be pet waste removal.

Another thing you could try is this. Everyone that has a dog, has to have it licensed in the town they live in so there is a mailing list of dog owners. I bet you could rent such a list and market directly to them with postcards.

What do you think of something like that?

CloseCuts
02-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Yea thats a great idea Steve. I will have to look into that.

GottaMow
02-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Well this would have been my second year of running Gotta Mow Lawn Maintenance as a side job. Did ok last year with just a push mower, a new trimmer and a blower out of the back of my Tahoe, but really felt that I did not have the investment capital to add the equipment I needed to relly expand.

I have been thinking about pet waste removal and the low cost of getting started. I can do it, I have the marketing expertise and I can still work my "real" job for the state department of transportation. This would be great extra money.

So I have begun to modify my website www.gottamowohio.com and will aggressively market the site after it is completed via flyers, the vets offices, and craigslist. All cheap. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

Anyone know where to find a scoop like the one in this picture? I have seen smaller ones but this would be much more efficient.
http://www.insiderpages.com/photos/business/full/899/15240108899/202310.jpg

Steve
02-18-2009, 01:41 PM
I did a search for broom and dustpan and there were a bunch of results. Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?revtab=true&D=900760&Ntt=900760&recN=112370&langId=-15&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=P_PartNumber&storeId=10051&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&catalogId=10051) carries something similar to that. Check the link.

but really felt that I did not have the investment capital to add the equipment I needed to relly expand.

What did you feel you really needed?

GottaMow
02-18-2009, 01:53 PM
I think for the lawn mowing to really make it I would need to get a larger mower. My push mower is just 22", really should have a 36" or 48" in order to be efficient. A trailer or Pickup would be ideal rather than lifting the mower into the back of the Tahoe.

The problem is that we are living paycheck to paycheck as it is. I know you need money to make money but... Just have not been able to purchase the big items.

Ben

Steve
02-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Did you happen to look and see if you can get a mailing list of dog owners in your town? That could help you send direct mail right to your potential customer.

GottaMow
02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
My wife works for the county auditor, who sells the dog licenses. OH yea I can get all the info.

Steve
02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
That would be fantastic! You could send postcards right to your potential customers. Oh that would be so sweet. Let us know how that works.

SuperiorPower
02-22-2009, 04:41 PM
My wife works for the county auditor, who sells the dog licenses. OH yea I can get all the info.

Be careful with that. It is not impossible to get her fired for using that type of info for personal use. I have seen people be fired for the personal use of government information even though the info was "public info"..... Just be careful with that....