PDA

View Full Version : customers say wrong business name...

landonkade
09-18-2008, 09:51 PM
My business name is J & M Lawn Care, people in my town or who ever i service gets my business name confused with another lawn care business in the area called L & M Lawn Care. This dont happen all the time just rarly, but shouldnt happen at all. I think people try to get there business name as close as they can to another business name to steal business.

After i get done with the service to get a payment some customers are "like make the check out to L & M Lawn Care right" i say no its J & M Lawn Care. Are people just stupid and dont know the differance between a L or a J. Or it wouldnt matter as long as i do my work like it is supposed to be and sooner or later people will get the my business name right

i have thought about keeping the J & M Lawn Care name, but also starting another name for my landscape and nursery. A friend of mine is in the lawn care / landscaping business for 20 years and has 3 business names, and works under all 3 of them.

SC93
09-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Yes, peple are just that stupid!! I'm pretty sure more than 99% of people on earth are decendants of Joe Rockhead (the Flinstones).

For my cleaning service we have people write the checks out to...the cleaners....the maids....merry maids....Sparkle-Clean....Clean and Shine...luckily the bank usually takes them with no problem. lol No, people won't learn the name...a very few will but not the majority. As long as the amount is correct they can call me what ever they want. lol

justin_time
09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah same goes for me

Some they always ask, I make the cheque to what like they don't know my business name then I tell them Just in Time Yard Services then I look on the cheque they wrote Just in Time Lawn Services or Just in Time for short haha

jackmcmanus21
09-19-2008, 10:03 AM
It is a shame how dumb people can be

landonkade
09-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah same goes for me

Some they always ask, I make the cheque to what like they don't know my business name then I tell them Just in Time Yard Services then I look on the cheque they wrote Just in Time Lawn Services or Just in Time for short haha

I have a website called www.dothanlawncare.com dothan is my citys name. Since i have posted this i have asked other people what they thought about J & M Lawn Care as a parent company and me using dothan lawn care( as a business name, if its not took my someone) like i said i already have dothanlawncare as a domain name. People would say " o call dothan lawn care for your services" here is there website also dothanlawncare.com

Easy business name to remember i think

I have the J & M Lawn Care saturated all over the internet....

Google:

lawn service in dothan
lawn care in dothan
dothan lawn care
dothan lawn service

Or should i just keep J & M Lawn Care, and brand it more

justin_time
09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I have a website called www.dothanlawncare.com dothan is my citys name. Since i have posted this i have asked other people what they thought about J & M Lawn Care as a parent company and me using dothan lawn care( as a business name, if its not took my someone) like i said i already have dothanlawncare as a domain name. People would say " o call dothan lawn care for your services" here is there website also dothanlawncare.com

Easy business name to remember i think

I have the J & M Lawn Care saturated all over the internet....

Google:

lawn service in dothan
lawn care in dothan
dothan lawn care
dothan lawn service

Or should i just keep J & M Lawn Care, and brand it more

You got to think of a business name for if you ever want to sell your business.. then they are stuck with J & M Lawn Care and they aren't J & M... it makes it kind of odd.. but for me for example.. anybody can buy my business and your name doesn't have to be Justin .. if you know what I mean

I named my website jitys.ca since the 5 different letters are the initials of the business name, I didn't want people to type www.justintimeyardservices.com because it's kind of getting long

landonkade
09-20-2008, 10:05 PM
bump.........

Steve
09-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Well it is a very interesting topic. I am sure others try to get their names similar to successful businesses they want to copy.

I would say the more unique the name is the easier it would be to defend against an infringement.

For instance if your lawn care business was named Green Coat Lawn Care and another new business started up named Green Goat Lawn Care. I would think you would be able to legally challenge them to stop using that name and potentially win.

landonkade
09-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Well it is a very interesting topic. I am sure others try to get their names similar to successful businesses they want to copy.

I would say the more unique the name is the easier it would be to defend against an infringement.

For instance if your lawn care business was named Green Coat Lawn Care and another new business started up named Green Goat Lawn Care. I would think you would be able to legally challenge them to stop using that name and potentially win.

Yea its crazy why people would do that, it will probaly hurt them in the long run or something. One thing lawn care companies havent done yet is try to get close to me on the internet. Do a google search on those keywords and tell me what you think,lol

i will probaly go to the citys office and ask them about if there is anything i can do,(if they can make the other companys change there name) that other lawn care business are trying to get as close as to my name as they can to get business. The ones that where made after me

Lukacs Property Maintenance
09-22-2008, 12:20 PM
hey guys,

Got a question. Do you have to register your name. In BC you have to register your company name first before you get your business licence to see if someone else has the same name as you.

Mike

Steve
09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Well in the U.S. you don't have to register a business name if you are using your own name. For instance where you tell your customers to make the checks payable to you Joe Smith.

But when you create a business name, you have to register it.

landonkade
11-06-2008, 12:23 AM
my bank called me today asking for L & M Lawn Care. They where supposted to be asking for me J & M Lawn Care.

So i am thinking about keeping the J & M Lawn Care name, but starting a nursery and landscape business name and have it started with the letter A and with the landscape at the end, something like this example (Allscape Nursery & Landscaping) so that way i can be listed #1 in the yellow page phone book index, index is listed A-Z

Is there anything related to landscaping, nursery, or lawn service starting with the letter A. i could use Trimscape, but that would put me almost at the end of the index in the phone book, if you know what i am saying

Steve
11-06-2008, 06:27 AM
What if you went with something like,
"A Perfect Lawn."
"A great looking lawn."
Or something like that with the letter A in the beginning?

justin_time
11-07-2008, 05:36 PM
hey guys,

Got a question. Do you have to register your name. In BC you have to register your company name first before you get your business licence to see if someone else has the same name as you.

Mike

Mike, i think i know what your talking about. What they do is charge you 8$ for a search (they check if the business name is taken) and 60$ for the registration, and your good for 5 years, this is Ontario, but I figure BC is probably the same.