PDA

View Full Version : Is striping lawns a normal service?

JamesOkla
09-14-2008, 07:28 PM
I was just wondering if striping lawns is a normal service or do you all do it on a per request basis?

Steve
09-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi James,

Check out this post and see if it helps

http://gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=5878

JamesOkla
09-17-2008, 11:12 PM
I was actually looking for a response from others to find out if they do this on a normal basis or not. Thanks Steve.

Steve
09-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Well from other posts that have been made, it seems to have been the consensus that you should do it as part of your everyday lawn service. You should really make each lawn stand out in order to attract other customers from the area.

Are you striping your lawns? What's your view on it so far?

clarklandscaping
09-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Im not sure where your located but here in central Florida I have NEVER seen any LCO striping lawns.

choicelandscapes
09-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I was just wondering if striping lawns is a normal service or do you all do it on a per request basis?

I think it depends on where you are. In the south grasses such as bermuda and zoysia do not stripe well at all because of their growth habits "runner grasses". Although you can "burn" stripes in runner grasses. You just cut the exact same pattern everytime you cut the lawn and eventually it shows up. but its not good for the grass to do this. In the south fescue will stripe well but thats about it. IF you are in an area where you can grow rye grass fescue Knetucky blue etc "clump grasses", you can make striping look nice.

It is also one the most effcient way in turns of time to mow. You make a pass turn 180* and make a pass next to it. But you have to make sure you keep the mower straight. No one wants banana shaped stripes.

IMHO i think it comes down to the type of grass you are cutting and if the owner wants it.

when you see stripes in grass you are seeing where the mower past. If the mower wsa going away from you it shows up as a light stripe. if the mower was coming towards you it makes a dark stripe.

hope that helped

StartALawnCareBusiness
09-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Striping a lawn is a great touch especially for customers in higher priced neighborhoods when you can charge for the extra effort needed to make stripes look professional.

The previous poster is right about the south. Specific grasses and well irrigated lawns make for better stripes.