PDA

View Full Version : Newbie From Oklahoma Over This Way

JamesOkla
09-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Hey everyone,

I have been on this forum for a few days now. I have notice the large amount of information that's available to help me plan out my lawn care company and prepare for the launch in 2009. The company consists of three people which is me, my fiance, and a friend. We are in Woodward, Oklahoma which is the northwestern part of the state. I am originally from Tulsa, however things have brought me up here and I couldn't turn down the great opportunity that I have found within the lawn care industry up here. I look forward to meeting everyone and learning from this forum.

James

Steve
09-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi James,

Thanks for joining the forum!

We don't often see many new lawn care business partnerships started on here. Can you share with us your insight as to why you choose to go that route and what are the benefits/downsides to it, for others considering the same route you are taking?

JamesOkla
09-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi James,

Thanks for joining the forum!

We don't often see many new lawn care business partnerships started on here. Can you share with us your insight as to why you choose to go that route and what are the benefits/downsides to it, for others considering the same route you are taking?

The reason that I chose to go this route is to be able to secure the needed assets at the beginning. It also splits out the work a little more evenly, which helps us all out in the long run. The benefits would have to be less workload on each person and the financial side of it which allows us a more affordable option when buying equipment. The downside would have to be the pressure that it's not just me, which means more work will be needed in order to become successful. Altogether, I see it as feasible if it's done correctly. We will be having to do some heavy networking in order to make this happen. The thoughts of expansion also came to my mind when I decided to go this route. If I want to go to a different city to open a new branch, that can be handled since I can leave one of the partners down here and take my fiance with me where she can assist the start-up of the new branch when that comes into play.

Steve
09-14-2008, 02:45 PM
You have some great thoughts!

What do you plan on doing to market and get the word out about your new business?

JamesOkla
09-14-2008, 05:15 PM
You have some great thoughts!

What do you plan on doing to market and get the word out about your new business?

I planned on starting the marketing in February. I want to pass out 1500-2500 flyers in the first month, put an ad in the newspaper service directory, and network with local businesses. We are still working on additional marketing strategies, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
09-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Well I think a lot of times new businesses tend to put off when they are going to get started until the following spring. Why not start now? What about fall cleanups? Gutter clean outs? Outdoor holiday decorations?

JamesOkla
09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Well I think a lot of times new businesses tend to put off when they are going to get started until the following spring. Why not start now? What about fall cleanups? Gutter clean outs? Outdoor holiday decorations?

Right now, I would rather be able to focus on developing the back-end of the business. This way, I can have the equipment and be prepared to do the work that needs to be done. I am also going to have to switch to an overnight job until it picks up, so I know the bills are paid. I would love to start now, but I wouldn't feel right going in with only half of the tools that I need.

Steve
09-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Very interesting!

What tools do you have now and what do you feel you need before you can get started?

MacTrina
09-16-2008, 08:34 PM
You need to pass out more then 2500 fliers. I passed out over 6000 and got 40 customers.

Steve
09-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Mactrina,

What advice do you have on passing out flyers? How did you do it? Did you hand them to people or stick them in the door? What day or time was the best to do it?

JamesOkla
09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
You need to pass out more then 2500 fliers. I passed out over 6000 and got 40 customers.

Wow, 6000 flyers is quite a bit. I would also be interested in knowing how you did this. Where are you located? Around here, the biggest town is around 15,000 people, if that.