PDA

View Full Version : Dave is quitting the lawn care business

UniversityLandscapers
09-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey guys,

I'm officially out of the lawn care business. It's been a great two years, but I finally got what I was looking for: getting accepted to the Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario. I've really enjoyed my time in the landscape industry and the chance to run my own business, and I'm sure the experience will serve me well in my remaining academic career.

I want to thank everyone on here who's had answers/advice for me over the last season, and I plan on checking in still to see what's going on in the industry etc. I guess I can still provide some business insight still, so if anyone has any questions, fire away!

Thanks guys!

Steve
09-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Oh Wow!

Congratulations first off!

What do you plan on doing in the future with your future education?

justin_time
09-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey guys,

I'm officially out of the lawn care business. It's been a great two years, but I finally got what I was looking for: getting accepted to the Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario. I've really enjoyed my time in the landscape industry and the chance to run my own business, and I'm sure the experience will serve me well in my remaining academic career.

I want to thank everyone on here who's had answers/advice for me over the last season, and I plan on checking in still to see what's going on in the industry etc. I guess I can still provide some business insight still, so if anyone has any questions, fire away!

Thanks guys!

Congrats on getting accepted.

I wish you luck. Where is this school located ???

Anyways, good luck in the future

Keep us posted

UniversityLandscapers
09-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Congrats on getting accepted.

I wish you luck. Where is this school located ???

Anyways, good luck in the future

Keep us posted

It's in London, where I have been spending my fall/winter/spring months these last two years. I'm still "managing" the business in a loose sense until the end of the season in October, just taking care of the billing/administrative stuff.

In response to Steve, I plan on investigating the fields of asset management (mutual funds/portfolio management) or consulting for the summer recruiting period. One of the major advantages of a school like this is that the companies come to you, especially with the summer internship positions. I've met seniors who spent the summer working for companies like Goldman Sachs, Merril Lynch, Credit Suisse, etc. so I'm pretty excited to see what kind of opportunities are around. The economic slowdown is having a pretty big hit on the introductory job market, though, most big financial companies have dropped their hirings quite significantly.

Steve
09-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Very neat stuff! Do you see yourself involved in future entrepreneur projects or what would be the dream job?

UniversityLandscapers
09-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I'd certainly like to work for myself, having the chance to do so has taught me that. Whether that would be in a startup situation or taking a partnership in something, I don't know. Looking forward to testing out the "business" waters.

Steve
09-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Well I can't wait to hear what knowledge your new explorations bring!

Keep us posted on different business concepts you are learning! I am sure everyone would love to read your updates. I know I would.

jackmcmanus21
09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Good luck with the university Dave