PDA

View Full Version : Justifying a lack of results

Steve
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I had a talk with a friend who was telling me how he felt most people including himself were just average. Average with everything.

Do you think this is true? Or does this simply justify lack luster results?

musician/lawnman
09-05-2008, 06:12 PM
That's kind of a ridiculous statement your friend made there Steve. I mean I guess by definition MOST people are AVERAGE..... That's why they call it the average.

I don't know your friend personally but it sounds like a cop out for being lazy & accepting marginal sucess or failure because that's what "most people do". You get out what you put in.... no effort, no results it's that simple.

Steve
09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
The thing I thought about as he said this was, I think everyone is special in their own way. Each of us has different skills, talents, or interests that make us stand out.

If we want to find success, it's up to us to find what we excel in and then harness that.

That's my view at least.

I hate seeing people get down on themselves and beat themselves up. Why bother doing that? Everyone else will try to do that for you.

Maybe it's a mental thing we all need to overcome to push forwards.

cklandscapingorlando
09-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Your only what you want to be.I've spent more money on books than I care to talk about and its that education that gives me an edge when talking to clients.In this industry you need luck or time.I've seen yahoos get rich because they new the right people or was at the right place at the right time.I've also seen some of the best give up because they ran out of time to make it.I think you just have to keep going untill you get a break or you'll kick your self for life

musician/lawnman
09-09-2008, 12:40 AM
I don't know Steve...

I've been told by many people that I am a very resourceful and maybe I am but I don't see it or don't see myself that way. I have managed to survive and even thrive under some ridicoulous circumstances in the past. I have for lack of a better word B.S.'d my way into job fields that I had no clue about & learned on the fly with nobody knowing I was doing so. From automotive repair, Auto shop managment, auto sales, Construction sales & estimating, even home security systems at one point.... maybe the ability to sell myself in an interview & the aptitude to learn quickly is my skill set, but I have just viewed it as survival. Yeah I may have fibbed on during interviews in my past but I've never had an employer end up sorry they chose me, so what the heck right? Now, while I have done all the work in this field before I had never started & run a company in this field.... I jumped in head 1st & figured it out, with a wife, 2 kids, mortgage & all. I took a huge risk I guess, I know most guys on here start small while working another job & do this on the side... but I have sold myself (figuratively speaking) to potential employers before because I belived I could do it? So I just had to do the same only this time for myself.

You can do anything you put your mind to, so pick a direction, GROW A PAIR & JUMP!

quickcleanlawn
09-13-2008, 10:32 AM
"I have managed to survive and even thrive under some ridicoulous circumstances in the past. I have for lack of a better word B.S.'d my way into job fields that I had no clue about & learned on the fly with nobody knowing I was doing so."

I think thats what what it comes down to, surviveing.If you had the will to survived nothing will get in your way to do so.Survival is human nature.
I do believe the "some of us got it, some of us dont" concept. I have a couple friends from the old neighborhood that when I started my business, swore that they could do the same, but when it came down to it they din't even know how to get started.

jackmcmanus21
09-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I couldn't agree more with the survival comment. People willing to do anything to reach a goal often do.

8307c4
03-14-2009, 03:56 AM
I had a talk with a friend who was telling me how he felt most people including himself were just average. Average with everything.

Do you think this is true? Or does this simply justify lack luster results?

It all depends, but speaking strictly in terms of statistics the odds are rather in favor that your friend is right.

And while I do agree that to some it could be just an excuse...
There are those of us, that attitude might help keep us humble.

picframer
03-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Mindset is everything, If one thinks they will fail they probably will, if they feel they are average they are probably satisfied with the status quo, if a person is positive with the attitude they will win, succeed and overcome, more than likely they will.

When I do a job for a client, my thought is I want them to be impressed, I don't want to go at something with an attitude if I get it done they will probably be satisfied.

swstout
03-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Someone once said "Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle".

The task is the steak

Your attitude is the sizzle

Steve

Steve
03-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Oh I like that very much!

musician/lawnman
03-14-2009, 10:45 AM
You have got to believe in yourself to be sucessful though. If you aim real high & fall a little short, you still did pretty well right? If you aim for mediocrity & fall short where the hell does that leave you? You control only yourself. There's nothing else in this world you can have the ability to be more sure of. If you want to reach greatness & refuse to take No for an answer, It's a very attainable goal. If you are just going to give something half hearted try "well why not, I'll give it a shot...." Then that's setting a half hearted goal, & a 50/50 chance at best of being sucessful.