PDA

View Full Version : Hello Fellow Brothers and Sisters...

JerseyStyle
09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
My Name is John and live in New Jersey. New Jersey is known for the Monopoly of Landscapers where competition is all about making a living.

So, I hope some of you can help me out with some very much needed advice because I am starting new in 2009.

I will need lots of help on bids and how long to make a contract....How much to charge for residentual and commercial.

Hope all is well!!!

All Aspects Landscaping
09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
where from in Jersey?? Im down south Near Cherry Hill

Steve
09-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi John,

Welcome to our forum! What got you interested in starting your own lawn care business and why are you waiting until 2009 to get started?

Did you ever run a business previously?

JerseyStyle
09-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I have 20 years of Lawn Maintenance under my belt. I have worked for several companies over the years and stopped about 8 years ago. Since then I have been working for a distribution company and recently resigned. Over this past weekend I visited a friend of 20 years, whom I worked with in the field of lawn care. I helped him do some lawns on Saturday and realized that lawn care is what I enjoyed the most. So now, I have made my final decision to start my own here in New Jersey. I live in Jamesburg, NJ which is completely surrounded by Monroe Township in Middlesex County. My only concern is the monopoly of company's here and the heavy competition I face.

I know about the business and know what it takes to dedicate myself in making it work. I have great customer relations senses since I have dealt with these endeavors as a driver for the company I use to work. My other promblem is the fact that I don't really know hwat to charge for cutting lawns. You have one company that charges $60 to $70 per cut and I don't think that is right. I feel that a $50 charge would be a good idea....but, is it really a good idea? what I dopn't want to do is kill myself before I actually get started, so I decided to start it up for the 2009 season. That way I can blanket flyers around the new areas that were just buiilt and then some. My goal is to have 10 to 15 accounts per day for at least 5 days. I'm looking at having a few more residentual than commercial for now. Within 5 years time if it looks good enough...I will hire 1 person to hel;p me out and build the company larger and pick up some heavier commercial accounts.