PDA

View Full Version : 21 inch mower

tomcat172002
08-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi,

I have a question regarding using a 21 inch residential mower. I started my business this year and I have 15 accounts. Over this past season I picked up a couple of customers and I've dropped a few customers due to location. One of the lawns I picked up is on a street where I now have 6 accounts and might get one more. This customer is right were all my other accounts are. But the problem is this women only wants me to use my 21 inch Honda. Her yard is very small she has a full time gardner for her back yard. It probably takes me about 20 minutes. Right now I am looking to increase my business and she is in the exact area where I am hoping to expand. Most of the other grass cutting services said they wouldn't consider using a 21 inch mower its too small and its not worth their time. I checked into a Exmark Metro 26 inch but the dealer said for $1200 dollars for one lawn? Just drop her he said its not worth it. I am only getting $23 dollars but it is really a small yard. Should I hold on to her or at what point should I drop her?

sgl41377
08-27-2008, 10:42 PM
If you are making money, continue cutting it. If you cut her yard, maybe more people will want your services. Don't give up any job until you have enough work to weed out the yards that are less profitable.

Steve
08-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Very good point!

I would say that if you are making money on the job, use the lawn as a beach head and then spread out your marketing attack from there.

What kind of marketing are you doing to take advantage of mowing that lawn and letting the neighbors know you exist?

quickcleanlawn
08-28-2008, 01:55 PM
how long will it take to cut the yard ?
she may want the smaller mower becouse it makes a better cut.
if the yard is realy that small it will be easier to cut with the smaller mower anyway, that way you dont leave scalps in the lawn. but if you dont feel its enough money try, to milk an extra 5 or 10 bucks from her, Im sure she will pay it if she is that particular about her lawn. just explain it takes more time, so it will cost her more.

tomcat172002
08-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Steve,

I found the best way for me was to advertise is in the church bulliten. I got the most bang for the buck. I took out an ad that is in color on the back side. It is perfect because it targets the people who need lawn. Older people go to church and read the bulliten. Also geographicly it is large enough that it covers a small community, but not too large where I would have to run all over Northeastern Ohio. I did pass out flyers but I got 3 customers out of 15 from that so the bulliten worked out. The other thing that works great is I targeted my parents neighborhood where I grew up. The neighborhood is getting older and many of the families have since moved on, since I lived there. But whenever anyone sees my truck I tell the I used to live here and we talk about some of the old families that we know. That works great I have a good memory and people like to know some history about there home. One person who lived near my parents didn't even know they had a sprinkler system in there lawn until I pointed it out. It was kind of funny but they hired me right there on the spot. Thats the marketing and advertising that has worked for me. What do you think?

Tom

Steve
08-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Tom,

Those are all great marketing ideas.

I was thinking if you want to use this property to your greatest advantage, you should be using the cloverleaf marketing technique to gain more customers right around it.

Check out this article and let me know if it will help.
http://lawnchat.com/?p=156

tomcat172002
08-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Steve,

Thats great I will have to try the cloverleaf technique. I usually like to try different things to see which one works the best. I am going to try to use door hangers with the price on the door hanger next year.

Tom

Steve
09-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Let us know how it works for you.