PDA

View Full Version : Mower questions

Rekrap8
08-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I have two questions about my mower. I have a Toro Timecutter Z4200. While I was mowing today I noticed that the front tire is flat. It is a tubeless tire so I think it must have come off the rim. Have anyone had this happen to them or does anyone know how to fix it.

Also I noticed that this mower does not stripe the grass. I know that stripes are made by the way that the grass is bent, and I always see lawns done with commercials mowers and they are striped. Does anyone know if this can be done without a roller.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Steve
08-26-2008, 07:06 PM
While I was mowing today I noticed that the front tire is flat. It is a tubeless tire so I think it must have come off the rim. Have anyone had this happen to them or does anyone know how to fix it.

Well, could there be a puncture through the tire?

Can you fill it up with air and listen to where the leak is?

Maybe this diagram will help show the difference between tubeless and a tire with a tube.

All Aspects Landscaping
08-26-2008, 09:39 PM
take a belt or a tie down strap and wrap it around the tire... make sure the bead is touching on all sides... you may have to hunker down pretty tight on the belt or tie strap... then fill with air... dont inflate too quickly... loosen up the belt or strap, the proceed to put air in little by little until you dont lose the bead.. then inflate to manufactures setting... works great when you are in the feild also

StartALawnCareBusiness
08-27-2008, 10:31 AM
A slow leak in a caster tire (or any tire) can cause you to lose your bead seal when you make a sharp turn. Checking tire pressure as part of your daily equipment check is a good idea.

As James said, it can be a pain getting a tire to seal on the rim properly. Tie-down straps work well. You can also tie a rope around the tire and use a crowbar to twist the rope tight enough to cause enough of a seal to reinflate the tire.

This question reminded me of some tire seating videos I saw a few weeks ago. Has anyone ever tried sealing a tire like in the video below? I've never done it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZhszvMjvjg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZhszvMjvjg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steve
08-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Has anyone ever tried sealing a tire like in the video below? I've never done it.

I never used it either.

This came up in the past and Chuck said it didn't work well at all.

Little's
08-27-2008, 04:31 PM
I know a guy who does this with car tires at the gas station. He runs a tire shop out of his back yard and runs down to station and installs his tires like this, then runs back to his house and puts them on the customers cars. If you know what you are doing, it works real well.

voodooray
05-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Yep Yep... Ive used this method many times and it always has worker for me. Lawn Mowers, Skid Skeers and even on a gokart!:D

Just be careful and and pleas use safety equipment as the video shows!

Also, I used to work at a trucking company years ago and they even mounted the big rig tires this way!!! :eek:

musician/lawnman
05-12-2009, 10:24 PM
This came up in the past and Chuck said it didn't work well at all.
I didn't see this post last year ... & I don't remember saying it didn't work?

I ran a tire shop for years, It absolutely does work. It's not really safe & I don't recommend it, but it works. I've seen it done with starting fluid, brake cleaner, even rubbing alcohol. The 1st time I saw it was when some guy had welded 2 sets of wheels together to make really wide rims to mount some 44" (might have been bigger than that) tires on for his mudd/hunting buggy. They would not seat & air up using convertional methods even with the right tools at the garage. We had high pressure air lines, and even a "cheetah" (a large pressurized air tank with a lever & a blast spout used to blow air suddenly into a tire to make it expand & seat on the rim) and these things wouldn't go. A tech who had seen this problem before removed the valve core from the stems, Jammed an air line on the stem (so air would continue to flow into the rim) then poured some rubbing alchohol in the tire. He then lit a mach a threw it into the tire. I blew about 5' off the ground, but when it landed... the bead was seated! WARNING.... This is not advisable as the tire/rim combo could have killed him and over blasting or over inflating a tire can cause it to fail dramatically. I have seen them blow out while on a rim clamp machine & cause compound arm fractures, & even hit the ceiling at shop that had 25' concrete ceilings leaving a rim impression in the concrete!
For more tires.... I'd stick to using a rachet strap, or rope to get it to seat.

CheapNEasy
05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Also I noticed that this mower does not stripe the grass. I know that stripes are made by the way that the grass is bent, and I always see lawns done with commercials mowers and they are striped. Does anyone know if this can be done without a roller.

Are you changing directions of the cut with each pass?

Example:

<<<<<<<<<<< Change
>>>>>>>>>>> Directions
<<<<<<<<<<< With
>>>>>>>>>>> Each
<<<<<<<<<<< Pass

Overlaping your tire tracks to make sure the stripes stay even.

Hope this helps