PDA

View Full Version : New Guy From Boston Living in NC

univland
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey all -

I HAVE BEEN A SELF EMPLOYED LANDSCAPER FOR 19 YEARS, AND WORKED FOR OTHERS 5 YEARS BEFORE THAT. TRIED TO GET RID OF MY LAWN MOWING DIVISION WHEN I RELOCATED TO NC. JUST DID PATIOS, WALLS, IRRIGATION, AND PLANT INSTALLS FOR LAST 4 YEARS. ECONOMY SOFTENED, AND AM STARTING UP A MOWING DIVISION AGAIN TO GET THE STEADY REVENUE BACK IN MY LIFE. I HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE STARTING SUCCESSFUL LANDSCAPING COMPANIES, SELLING THEM AND STARTING AGAIN, AND I AM ALWAYS AN OWNER/OPERATOR........JOHN BROUDER

Steve
08-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi John,

Welcome to our forum!

Did you find that your marketing differed when you were marketing for hardscapes vs. for lawn care?

What kinds of marketing concepts would you suggest?

univland
08-26-2008, 09:53 AM
I had three hundred maintenance accounts in the Boston area. Marketing was far less of a challenge in that market for me, because I knew everybody. I didn't do any marketing for the last 3 years I was there except for mailers & emails to my client base.

When I moved to NC I was glad that I had been vigilant about taking before and after pictures of my Hardscapes projects. I developed a slideshow CD that I gave to all of my customers. I now have this portfolio uploaded on a photo storage site, and email it to customers upon first contact so that before I even meet them, they have seen my work. I also use Service Magic to market my business here, this computer service charges you by the lead and it is well spent marketing money if you know how to sell.

Flyers are also far more effective in this market. I flyered one subdivision here, and got three clients for $45000.00 worth of work. I never had that kind of success with flyers in the Boston area. I will only use a full color flyer with pictures of our work on it, and believe that this also seperates us from companies with cheaper looking flyers. I am just starting a marketing campaign for mowing, and plan to flyer some close to home subdivisions. I'll let you know how we make out.................JB

Steve
08-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Very interesting!

Which do you think taught you how to sell better? Selling hardscapes or lawn care?

Do you have any advice for new business owners just starting up when it comes to selling?