PDA

View Full Version : Gopherpreneur Business Book of the month 8/08

Steve
08-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Gopher-preneur book of the month, August '08
How to Get Rich: One of the World's Greatest Entrepreneurs Shares His Secrets
by Felix Dennis

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=gophegraph-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=1591842050&md=10FE9736YVPPT7A0FBG2&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Now I am guessing many of you probably don't know who Felix Dennis is. He isn't a popular business figure in the U.S. However you might know some of the magazines he has created like the magazine Maxim.

Felix has published many magazines over the years and has had quite an interesting life thus far. This book was not your normal how to get rich book. It's full of many quirky pieces of advice such as "If it flies, floats or fornicates, rent it, it's usually cheaper that way." I think that quote should give you an idea how Felix isn't your ordinary everyday run of the mill millionaire.

I liked this book because it was so 'off.'

Have you ever heard of him or read the book? If you have, let me know.

Amazon.com described his book as
This is not your usual get-rich-quick manual. Though Dennis, a poet (When Jack Sued Jill: Nursery Rhymes for Modern Times) and the founder of a publishing empire (including Maxim magazine), wants to help the reader rank at least among the lesser rich (equal to a net worth of $30 million–$80 million by his definition), he isn't himself motivated by money. With his own fortune estimated at between $400 million and $900 million, he doesn't have to be. Instead, Dennis wants to demystify the money-getting process, and his straight-talking, honest advice makes a refreshing change in this oversaturated field. Using humorous examples from his own business life, Dennis's advice, from The Five Most Common Start-Up Errors to The Power of Focus, might sound like conventional fare, but delivered in his signature bawdy, British style, it's altogether more entertaining—and more practical. Dennis highlights the right strategies and mindset to get readers their millions, but he won't air-brush his story or soften the bitter truth along the way. As he says, when it comes to acquiring wealth, being a bit of a **** helps.

Read my previous business book of the month picks. (http://gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=208)