PDA

View Full Version : Has it changed over time?

Steve
03-30-2006, 03:09 PM
For those of you who have been in business at least a few seasons, have you noticed the way you deal with difficult customers has changed?

If so, how has it changed?

tiedeman
03-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes, I have noticed the change. I am more short with people and less understanding. I think that money was a main problem when I first started out, so I tried to please everybody, but now that I have enough customers to cover if I lose a customer or don't want the work, I am more short with the customers.

Steve
03-31-2006, 02:03 AM
It's pretty interesting. Making more money allows you to focus on a customer group that doesn't give you too many problems. You then get more bang for your buck and can maximize your profit potential while minimizing the time spent with difficult customers.

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 12:40 PM
It might sound bad like I don't provide customer service, but I do. I just know what my limits should and should not be anymore.

Steve
03-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Quote[/b] ] I just know what my limits should and should not be anymore.

That is a very good question! How do you think would be the best way for a business owner to define their limits?

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 04:31 PM
You have to know where to draw the line with how much crap you really want to put up and take, before you "fight back". The only problem is, you may get a bad reputation for being know as someone that doesn't take any crap

Steve
03-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Have their been any companies out there that you have aspired to model your business after when it came to customer service? And why so?

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Well, I have actually found that there are more companies out there worse than me.

There really isn't one company in particular....ahhh I take that back. There is one company that I kind of know their business structure, but not necessarily their reputation per say. It's Atwood Lawn Service. They have been in numerous magazines.

Steve
03-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Do you find that on average a person who starts a business usually is the type of person who doesn't like to take orders from anybody else? And when an owner/customer conflict arises, the owner usually is less capable to handle such a conflict, compared to the non-business owner?

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 06:34 PM
I actually feel that it would be the opposite when first starting out. I think that you bend over backwards for customers. But after a whle you kind of get sick of people trying to take advantage of you

Steve
04-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Ultimately then maybe we all just have to try and reach a happy median.