PDA

View Full Version : Lawn chemical alternatives

Steve
08-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Have you ever tried using any of these lawn care chemical alternatives? Do any of them work?

Heard of Soda on Grass? If It's Up to Ryan Baker You Will (http://www.theledger.com/article/20080818/NEWS/808180311/1178&title=Heard_of_Soda_on_Grass__If_It_s_Up_to_Ryan_B aker_You_Will#) - Beer: Plain old Budweiser can be used as a source of carbohydrates for the microbes in the soil. Microbes help in converting food matter in the soil to elements plants use.

Whiskey, scotch or bourbon: Not just for drinking, these liquors can be used as a disinfectant to keep bugs away.

Soda: That pop you drink with lunch can also be used to provide carbohydrates to microbes.

Ammonia: Provides nitrogen that plants absorb.

Mouthwash: It freshens breath and can act as an insecticide or fungicide.

Dish soap: A solution for chinch bugs.

Molasses or corn syrup: Provides carbohydrates, just like beer, and sugar and can promote the greening process in plants.

Epsom salt: Deepens the color, thickens petals and improves root structure of plants.

justin_time
08-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Beer: Plain old Budweiser can be used as a source of carbohydrates for the microbes in the soil. Microbes help in converting food matter in the soil to elements plants use.

Now why would you go waste beer like that :confused: :eek:

musician/lawnman
08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Epsom Salt works pretty well, I've mixed it into my fertilizer prior to spreading it.

Don't know about the others but I'm not wasting beer either unless somebody gave me (I know this won't make me popular on here, but....)
budwiser.... uhhhh, swamp piss beer gives me an instant hangover before I finish the 1st one!

UniversityLandscapers
08-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I spot treat dandelions and other big broadleaf weeds with vinegar, which is what I also use for weeds in driveways, etc. I once bought some "organic weed killer" then read the label and realized it was a weaker than table vinegar solution of acetic acid.

I use an organic fertilizer which is mainly composed of potash, some fish bone meal stuff, and some other random plant based things. Some of that stuff seems like it would cause problems in a wet climate (any of the acidic things) but I guess you can always offset the addition of acid to the lawn with lime.

Lukacs Property Maintenance
08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I have used just diluted soap and water for bugs on plants. It works on the soft sheled bugs like aphids. I also used hot boiling water right out of the kettle for weeds on the driveway. I've only used it on the driveway and sidewalk. I think the boiling water will kill weeds and more if you use it on the turf areas. I have seen the city goin around with a steem cleaner/preasure washer killin weeds along fence lines.

Mike