PDA

View Full Version : My first cruise!

Lukacs Property Maintenance
08-18-2008, 11:46 AM
hello,

I have a question for you all.

I am goin on my first caribean cruise. What things should i do to prepare for the cruise. What should i do to prepare for the flight. I know i could ask my travel agent but insight from anyone that has been on a cruise or on a plane in the last little bit i think would halp me more.

Mike:D

StartALawnCareBusiness
08-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Mike:

One of the most important aspects to me is documenting my travel with photographs and video.

Before traveling, buy extra memory cards and charge your batteries.

A tip I learned how to do a few years ago is to sync the time of my camera with the time of my hiking GPS. I carry my GPS everywhere I go snapped to a loop on my backpack or a belt loop. The syncing of my camera's time allows me to determine exactly where each photograph is taken.

When I was in VT earlier this summer, I took the GPS with me on a dinner cruise we took on lake Champlain. I now know the exactly location where each picture was taken and I can upload those photos to a Google Earth tour and share that tour with friends.

Apple Iphones in a year or two will have integrated GPS cameras. Each photograph will be automatically georeferenced removing several steps from this procedure.

If you are into photography at all, this tip might be really fun and helpful for you. I hope you take lots of pictures. Share them with us after your cruise.

Keith

Steve
08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
What should i do to prepare for the flight.

When I travel by air, I always make sure I bring some kind of sweatshirt that can be taken off or put on easily. I am always amazed at how other travelers walk onto a plane with shorts and flip flops on then realize after the plane takes off that it's freezing cold in the plane and there are no more blankets.

Also you can take an empty water bottle through the security line and then fill it up at the water fountain beyond the check point. That way you don't have to wait for the stewardess to bring you a drink.

I hope this helps. Let us know how the trip goes.

UniversityLandscapers
08-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Prepare yourself for airport security...everyone hates the guy who doesn't take his shoes off (only an issue in the U.S.) and has a bunch of change and stuff in his pockets. I recently flew out of Seattle to Houston and they had an "expert travellers" line through security, which sped things up nicely.

Also, I reccomend checking in on the internet before leaving your house. You can do this 24 hours before your departure and it gives you a better selection of seats. Also, make sure to carefully read baggage restrictions, as most airlines now charge $25 for your second piece of checked luggage. They've also tightened up rules on carry-on bags and enforce their limits pretty strictly.

VPS Lawn Care
08-19-2008, 10:19 AM
The best way to vacation is a cruise!!! i go atleast once a year.
Last dec. we went on a 8 day western caribean cruise, was fantastic.
One very important thing to remember to bring is an empty duffle bag. Why, well you always buy stuff on vaca and never have the room in your luggage on the trip back. If ya go to cozmel a must stop is carlos & Charlies grat place. Never go on any un guided tours in south america, bad elements look for americans that do this. they will tell you about this and other warnings on the cruise. Go on as many excurtions as ya can. Have a blast

Steve
08-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Also, I reccomend checking in on the internet before leaving your house. You can do this 24 hours before your departure and it gives you a better selection of seats.

Oh this is a good one. TOTALLY do this.

One time I got stuck in traffic and got bumped from my flight even though I was there 30 minutes before the flight was to take off. The person at the desk said this wouldn't have happened if I had checked in online.

justin_time
08-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Well since were on the topic for going on vacation cruise, i'd figure i'd keep going with my vacation

I'd tought i'd let everybody know that I am going on a 1 week holiday to see my buddy 8 hrs from here. Gonna visit him for 3 days. Then for 2 days i'm gonna move city about 2 hrs from there to see my other friend.

So I rented a car, because I usually use the car but it's getting old (95 eagle vision with 285,000 km ) so yeah. I rented a car, 1800km for 6 days it's not bad. I'm sure i'm gonna probably use all of those 1800km.

Then I rented myself a room for 2 nights... collecting major points on my Aeroplan card.. 800 for hotel + 500 for the car + points for the gas.

I bet i am gonna get 2000 by the time I come back :D

Ah man, can't wait.

I've sent my vacation letter btw haha

08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Goin on the royal caribbean cruise line. Any body else do the rcl? Leavin from galeveston goin to cozumel, george town and montego bay, then back. Haven't figured out what i want to do in each area yet. Any ideas? Checkin bags and stuff sounds pretty tight with security issues. Is there a web sight of restrictions and stuff?

Mike :D

Steve
08-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Let us know on how all this turns out.

01-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Hey all,
I finally have time to write something!

Thought i give you guy a well diserved update. If you guys ever want to a "Trip before you die" you have to go on a ROYAL CARIBEAN INTERNATIONAL CRUSE SHIP! Ok guy i have done all the research you need. I dare you to look on line at Carnival or disney. Compare them to Royal Caribean International. The best way is to look at the size of ship first(Dunnage) then look at the virtual tour of the ships.

My ship was The Voyager of the Seas and was literally a city on the water. Ok let me refrase, A FIRST CLASS CITY FROM TOP TO BOTTOM. Do you know what first class is. First class is when you sit down to dinner your three waiters first lay out your napkin out for you, offer you wine and refill it without hessitation, ask if you want fresh ground pepper and if you do will grind it for you. WOW. This is the life.

The price for the cruise includes the food, room service, beverages, the room, all the food you can eat(and not the cheap stuff). If you ordered lobster(included in the price) you could order as many as you like. So much more. Can you believe that i was watching a ice skating show live on the ship! Yes there is an ice skating rink on the ship.

When you get to a port of call(ship stop) you can get off the ship and do an excursion. I chose to to a jungle tour and zip line. Ill see if i can put it up for you guys. It was amazing.

Anyways like i said its well worth the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out the royal caribean web site.

Mike

Ill keep addin more.Sleepy. Later:eek:

Steve
01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh Mike that is fantastic! I look forwards to seeing some of your pictures!

01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
This is me holding the camera going along a 1200 ft long zip line in Jamaca, above the jungle.

justin_time
01-23-2009, 11:28 AM
This is me holding the camera going along a 1200 ft long zip line in Jamaca, above the jungle.

There seems to be missing a picture :p

Steve
01-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Can you try entering the picture again?

01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I'll add some pics too. I tried to upload the video.
-The beach where i went snorkling.
-The views from the platform 30 feet up in the air. The platform is attached to the tree.
-The tarzan tree. The pic is the branch of a tree. You don't see branches this large in diameter.Were in the jungle.
- The zip line

Mike:eek:

Steve
01-28-2009, 11:50 AM
That is awesome! How long did it take to ride the zip line?

01-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Gona see if this works. Go here to see the video.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pj_8DRDFOjc

Mike

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pj_8DRDFOjc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pj_8DRDFOjc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steve
01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
That is awesome! You really got some good speed going there!