PDA

View Full Version : Here comes Hurricane Charlie II (Faye)

musician/lawnman
08-17-2008, 11:35 AM
August 13, 2004 (was a Friday no less) Hurricane Charlie came right up Charlotte Harbor & tore my community apart, trashed my home, & that of my parents , brother & most homes & bulidings in general took alot of damage if they were still standing at all. Faye is on the same path & looks to be heading up our *** again. :confused: This just sucks. I've lived through 1 major hurricane, I don't wanna see another up that close.

Charlie was reported as a cat. 5 & all initial reports reported wind gauges in several locations here in town breaking at speeds of 180+ mph. 3 days after the storm al that was hushed for some reason & it went in the books as a Cat. 4 (145 mph or less)? But either way it was insane. Charlie wasn't forcasted to be very strong either only a 1 or a 2 but once it passed Cuba & hit the warm gulf waters it intensified a ton in the couple hours just prior to landfall climbing from a catagory 1 to a 5 very quick.

I'm tempted to just books flights & get the hell outta the state with my family now. You tend to get pretty gun shy after see this **** 1st hand.

quickcleanlawn
08-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Chuck I was just thinking of you and wondering if you were in the path.
dude its best to get the hell out of there if you don't feel safe. I know if we get another Katrina headed our way I'm leaving this time. theres no way I can put my family through somthing like that again.
If you do leave be sure to bring some equipment in case you can't get back in for a while, and you can make some money if needed.

Steve
08-17-2008, 04:37 PM
How have buildings and building codes improved to help buildings withstand these storms since previous storms have come through?

Has there been much change or is it basically, you really can't do much in a 150 mph storm?

I have never been through that so I don't know.

musician/lawnman
08-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I will get out if it looks bad.... I don't want that again either. LAst time my wife was pregnant with our 1st. Now I have to children to look out for too. I'm not playing around.

I think most newer buildings & homes will withstand the hurricanes winds without much trouble. My home would hav been fine but about 70-80% of my shingles & tar paper blew off. The rain just ran down the plywood & poored in the cracks destroyed almost everything.... drywall, flooing, cabinetry, furniture etc.
What the buildings don't withstand is the 200-300 mph winds of the tonados that are in the eyewalls of these storms. That's why one home can survive relatively untouched through a hurricane while the neighbor next door is left with nothing but a slab & a mortgage on that slab with no home to live in. they won't withstand flood waters. The storms can however blow trees down into your home, blow any loose object through a wall (if it's a frame home) or uncovered window. The new building codes help & manyhere have been rebuilt better. Some were not done by the book so who knows? Even if your roof holds up to the wind... it may not hold up to getting hit by your neighbors roof.

So here's a delema for ya....
Do I remove my 2 mowers from my trailer (enclosed) & put them in the garage to keep them safe? Or do I leave them in the trailer to try to keep the trailer from getting thrown? The combined weight of the 2 machines is about 1800 lbs + the fuel in them. So it's something I'm trying to decide.

Steve
08-18-2008, 12:04 AM
So here's a delema for ya....
Do I remove my 2 mowers from my trailer (enclosed) & put them in the garage to keep them safe? Or do I leave them in the trailer to try to keep the trailer from getting thrown? The combined weight of the 2 machines is about 1800 lbs + the fuel in them. So it's something I'm trying to decide.

I wonder if you could get some (tent anchors) strong ones and actually tie strap your trailer to the ground.

musician/lawnman
08-18-2008, 07:36 PM
They'd have to be the super strong hurricane straps like the ones used to secure down mobile homes & it would have to be anchored into concrete.
I don't have that kinda time.

quickcleanlawn
08-18-2008, 09:17 PM
its better to put the mowers in, becouse any damage on the trailer can be easily repaired, compared to what can happen to the mowers.

UniversityLandscapers
08-19-2008, 01:53 AM
Could you take your trailer with you? or would that just be too much. As Blaine mentioned, there would probably be a ton of work for you if there is damage, and if you have all your equipment in good working order, you could be ahead of the game. We had some major wind/snowstorms here (it rarely snows in Vancouver) two years ago that tore down half the trees in the city, and every tree/landscaping company made a killing cutting up/hauling away downed trees.

quickcleanlawn
08-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Chuck, how you holding out, Im watching on the news, they say yall got like 26'' of rain:eek:. do I need to bring the flat boat and pull yall of the roof ? lol
just kidden, but whats going on ?

Lukacs Property Maintenance
08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Wounderin if a bunker is available anywhere? You know under ground?
Mike

Prayin for you and the family!:)

musician/lawnman
08-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the concern guys, No we're fine. Alot of rain & wind, but we dodged the bullet this time. Faye came on shore about an hour south of me so wasn't a direct hit this time.

No underground bunkers here man.... lol they call those swimming pools around here! The water table is too high. We don't even have basements in this state they would be like having a pond under your home.

Steve
08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I was reading tonight that parts of Florida have gotten over 30 inches of rain from this storm!

MY GOSH! :eek:

musician/lawnman
08-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Yeah, We kept getting rained out & I'm a couple days behind but the grass is growing like crazy, Customers started complaining that I wasn't there yet. So now we're just cutting in the pouring rain to get caught up. My guys & I were soaked most of the day yesterday & today looks like more of the same.

I was getting stuck in the middle of a couple of yards on flat ground that appears relatively dry. The ground is so saturated it's insane.

Now this damn storm has come back to get us again!

I don't like mowing when it's that wet, but if my choice is either loose customers or mow in the rain.... then it's Aqua mowers to the rescue!
THRU PUDDLES, THRU DITCHES, MUDD, OR LAKES! WE DON'T STOP FOR ****! NOT EVEN DOG ****.

I need a hover craft mower, that would be really cool, not to mention useful for getting that pass around the edge of lakes!

quickcleanlawn
08-22-2008, 01:03 PM
damm thats got to suck cuttin in all that mud, but hey, gota do wacha gota do right. at least you guys dint take a direct hit.

justin_time
08-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I need a hover craft mower, that would be really cool, not to mention useful for getting that pass around the edge of lakes!

That would be sweet. I'm sure it would go even faster than a ZTR... oh the possibilities lol

quickcleanlawn
08-23-2008, 11:15 AM
looks like its comming my way. I better get ready , I tons of crap lying around the yard that need picking up by monday.
so much for relaxing this weekend.:(

Lukacs Property Maintenance
08-25-2008, 02:18 PM
When i first started doin lc a saw my dad had a flymo sittin in the shed for what seemed centuries. I asked if i could have it. He said sure, if you could get it started. He said he was goin to take it to the dump if i couldn't get it started. I worked on that mower for weeks. Rebuilding the carb, de rusting the blade, repainting and more. It was a 2 cycle, mix gas machine. After i was done with fixin it , it purred like a kitten. I wish i had a picture of it. I gave it to my brother. He was lookin for a flymo. So i gave it to him.

Mike

Steve
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Something like this one?

musician/lawnman
08-26-2008, 07:39 AM
These are badass!
I couldn't find a video of the gas version but still.... very cool

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kxo7s8rhDtc&color1=11645361&color2=13619151&fs=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kxo7s8rhDtc&color1=11645361&color2=13619151&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>