PDA

View Full Version : No Country for old men.

Steve
08-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Has anyone seen this movie, No country for old men? I know it's been out for a bit but I just saw it and it has got to be one of the best movies I have seen in a long long time.

I have to put the book on my reading list.

Did you see it? What did you think of it?

StartALawnCareBusiness
08-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Steve:

I saw that movie earlier this summer. It was great. One of the parts I remember most is when he threw the money over the bridge before going to the hospital.

You know, as I think about this movie it has a correlation to the suicide discussion on this forum. This man risks losing his life for the dream of having 2 million dollars that wasn't his to begin with.

Is losing your life to another person by taking money that doesn't belong to you much different than losing your life at your own hand due to failed dreams?

Keith

Steve
08-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Oh yes I think there is a tie in with the other discussion. This movie is a movie about good vs evil and life vs death.

If you get a chance, read this review here http://essentialgearguide.com/1/654/no-country-for-old-men-on-dvd/

And then watch the movie again when you get a chance. There is much symbolism in the movie. There is more to it than you can get out of it in one viewing.

When Llewelyn finds the money he also finds a man wounded with a gunshot wound who is very thirsty. Instead of assisting the survivor, he seeks out the last man standing to find the money that was missing from the drug dealing scene.

Later that night while he lies in bed he looks up to the ceiling and decides he needs to go back to the scene with water and do what he sees as the stupidest thing he has ever done.

Midway through the movie Llewelyn has a phone conversation with the drug lord assassin Chigurh. Chigurh offers to not kill Llewelyn's wife if he brings back the money but yet again Llewelyn declines to save her.

In the end Llewelyn gives up his life for the money.

Although I wasn't exactly sure if this was a case of greed or was it more a situation where a cowboy was looking for some excitement in his boring life. After all he was in a special forces outfit in Vietnam and did two tours. The only thing he had now was his hunting.

This money and these people gave him a new challenge and he did quite well for quite some time.

UniversityLandscapers
08-17-2008, 01:24 AM
To be honest, I thought this movie was terrible. I don't know what all the fuss was about. The characters were never introduced and terribly developed, and after seeing the movie twice, I still don't understand who half of them are. I think the plot seemed to start and end without any introduction and conclusion and there was really no climax to it. Some might see that as brilliant filmmaking, ignoring the conventions of story telling, but I see it as a fairly poor attempt at making a "great" movie. I hate those kind of movies where the whole purpose of the movie is to make a good movie. It takes away from the natural feeling of the really "good" movies. One of the best examples I have seen recently was Juno. It wasn't a huge budget movie, but it was brilliantly written with an amazing cast, and completely under its own power turned out amazing.

Steve
08-17-2008, 04:49 PM
One of the things about the movie that shocked me was how Llewelyn died. He gets in a shoot out at a hotel just as Sheriff Ed Tom was pulling up. Ed gets out of his car and walks up to the hotel room and there is Llewelyn dead at the door way. I figure it must have been difficult to hold off 4 or 5 guys with automatic weapons when they had the element of surprise and he had a shotgun.

In most Hollywood movies, the battle between the antagonist and the protagonist is the pinnacle of the film. It's the epic battle. But in this movie it is anti-climactic.

To me this was a really creative artistic and story telling element. After all, there are times death comes unannounced. As it did when I heard about my friend killing himself last week. It just happens, we hear about the story and are left to deal with it.

A good movie is a movie that generates thought and discussion and that's why I think this movie was so good. It gives us all a chance to get together and think and reflect on it.

I think the plot seemed to start and end without any introduction and conclusion and there was really no climax to it.
At this point, I see the movie as a movie about the Sheriff. He is struggling through life trying to find where he fits. He is trying to figure out how this battle of good vs. evil exists. Has it changed over time? Have things really gotten worse over time or has it always been the same and just like this.

The movie begins with his monologue and ends with him telling us about his dream. Both discuss his father.

What's your take on this?