PDA

View Full Version : my stripes

makbootzy
08-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Here is a lawn with my Rzt50 and my striiper I made out of a pvc pipe

Steve
08-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh that is a great picture! Have you been getting many compliments from the owner on the stripping? I would be complimenting you if that were my lawn!

I'd love to see a few pictures of how you made your stripping device as well. You are always creating fantastic devices!

UniversityLandscapers
08-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Pics of a front/back lawn. Just cut with a 22" rotary mower set at its lowest height (1.25")

makbootzy
08-16-2008, 03:01 PM
I just started striping so not had a chance to hear what they think but here are the pics of it up for transporting and down also of one I just put on my JD commercial walk behind

Steve
08-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Nice pictures Dave!

Rick,

What made you decide to make your stripping kit like that? It's a very fascinating design!

Did you put anything in the pipe to weigh it down?

makbootzy
08-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Well the Rzt doesnt have clearance behind the deck so off the back was all I could really do but I am adding a bracket to bring the angle closer to the ground so I dont have to be soooo careful in reverse (it wants to go under) as for the push mower I ripped off the design of http://patternyourlawn.com/
They are both filled with dirt and rocks.

Steve
08-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Have you ever experimented with other types of stripping material? Like for instance I have seen dangling chains used. How do you like the results so far with this type of striping kit?

With the design you have now, do you have the bolt going through the entire pipe and coming out on both ends?

makbootzy
08-17-2008, 12:30 PM
How I made it....I found the 4" pipe after a trailer moved and left it so I went to Home Depot and paid about $7 for each of the end caps and $4.50 for a 3' threaded rod I think it was 5/8" thick and like $1 on nuts and washers and I had the two flat metel brackets already.
So basically drill a hole in each cap
Put one cap and pipe on
put washer next to pipe the a nut
fill with sand or dirt
put the other cap on washer then nut
put your brackets on
then two nuts on both ends and tighten together so it can roll

Steve
08-17-2008, 03:53 PM
That is very creative! I look forwards to seeing more of your pictures as you experiment more with your striper!

makbootzy
08-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Just added new pics to the website
http://greenviewsuperior913.angelfire.com/photos.html

Steve
08-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Very Very nice!

justin_time
08-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Nice stuff Rick

makbootzy
08-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Thank you. I really like how the stripes are turning out.

Steve
08-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Do you have any big lawns that would allow you to really get creative with striping?

Totally Green
08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey Rick,
How long does the striping effect last? Does the grass need to be damp? Dry? I've never done this but would like to try it.

makbootzy
08-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Steve,

I wish I had a bigger lawn but no. Maybe next year. I plan on alot of door to door with pictures of lawns and testimonials maybe. I wonder if I send out christmas cards and ask for them to return comments about the service they recieved?

Totally Green,

The stripes last all summer once you get a few cuts in as long as you mow weekly. If it is nicer grass the effect is waaay better.

Steve
08-20-2008, 04:49 PM
I wonder if I send out christmas cards and ask for them to return comments about the service they recieved?

That is a good question. What is the best way to get testimonials?

Maybe you could just send out a letter explaining you would like to get a few testimonials from your customers and if they had any you could you to send you back say a pre-printed and stamped postcard? Would that help?

Lukacs Property Maintenance
08-21-2008, 04:03 PM
When i cut lawns that are growing, and are healthy the lawn looks striped from just the mowing. When i mow i go back and forth in straight lines not round and round. It automatically leaves the stripes. One thing i don't do is, when i'm done the lawn, go right through the middle of the freshly mowed area. I go around the outside edge. I've seen some rookies screw up the striped by goin right across the middle of the lawn. Looks very bad.

Mike:rolleyes:

justin_time
08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I may build my own stripe kit like Rick for my 21 inch mower.

makbootzy
08-21-2008, 04:25 PM
One thing i don't do is, when i'm done the lawn, go right through the middle of the freshly mowed area. I go around the outside edge. I've seen some rookies screw up the striped by goin right across the middle of the lawn. Looks very bad.

Mike:rolleyes:

lol yeah I see that too....I had to get on my brother about it once. When your done it is good to take a lap around the lawn to clean up the edge from the marks of turning around.

Justin,

Its not a bad deal especially if you have an old mower....thats what I made my brackets out of(the old mower handle).

justin_time
08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Justin,

Its not a bad deal especially if you have an old mower....thats what I made my brackets out of(the old mower handle).

Yeah I do have an old mower in the shed.

I might just do that when I return from vacation

Steve
08-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Is it possible to charge more for lawns when you stripe them?

Do you experiment with different striping concepts? What patterns have you found to look the best so far?

makbootzy
08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Is it possible to charge more for lawns when you stripe them?

Do you experiment with different striping concepts? What patterns have you found to look the best so far?

I dont think you should charge....I think it is somethin you should expect when hiring a professional lawn care company. I think it gives a better look and if 1 person on the block likes it, then that is a potential customer.

I have only done straight stripes but I have been searching aroung and found pics from fescue farmer..I think you know who that is from ********. His stripes are somethin nice. I will be targeting larger lawns to play with next year.

Lukacs Property Maintenance
08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I agree. Its to be expected. The lawn lookin great is what brings in 80% of my clientel. So striping just makes the lawn look so much better then the other guys that " just cut lawns".
Mike

realhuntin
09-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Here is a lawn with my Rzt50 and my striiper I made out of a pvc pipe

I have a question about the home made striping kit you have installed on your ztr50

Why?

Did you have trouble with it striping with out the striping roller?

I just don't understand why a striping kit is needed, I have a Scag SW36 that is so old SCAG doesn't even have records of the SN any more, and it stripes better than fine, I also have a SCAG 52 ZeroTrun that is about as old no issues there either with stripes and the Hustler Super Z 72 also no problems.

As far as someone wanting to charge for striping that is just ludacris and unprofessional. As lawn care professionals it is expected of ALL of us to stripe ALL lawns we services. Granted some customers could care less if there lawns had zigzag stripes or arrow straight stripes. But on the other hand most people call on us as professionals and expect nothing less than PGA golf course cut perfection and that's how it should be.

Here are 2 jobs we do weekly cutting for both we use the SW36

Steve
09-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Tim,

Do you feel stripe kits with chains or rollers are just unnecessary? Do such kits make it easier to leave stripes?

realhuntin
09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Tim,

Do you feel stripe kits with chains or rollers are just unnecessary? Do such kits make it easier to leave stripes?

Yes to both

1st stripe rollers mash down the grass giving it and exaggerated stripe look and is more harmful to the lawn.

Imagine taking a lawn roller over your lawn week after week, compacting the lawn damaging the root system not to mention breaking down the grass and causing premature drought symptoms.

2nd yes it is easier to stripe a lawn using a stripe kit