PDA

View Full Version : Do you have your applicators license?

Steve
03-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Do you have your applicators license? If not why?

Do you feel you can make more money with this or not?

ritchiem
03-31-2006, 07:20 AM
I am a Licensed Landscape Exterminator - Under the Pesticides Act of Ontario.

I have to have it to apply anything...well you only need your Technicians License, however as an Exterminator I can have up to 5 Technicians under me.

kc2006
03-31-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm certified in Ohio for turf and ornimental area pesticide and fertilizer applications.

I decided to not offer the service this year though as I am still learning. *I didn't want to get head first into it and end up looking like a fool because I'm not up to par on it all. *I am however using it for applying pre emergence apps & *non selective apps in beds when I do mulch installs.

Considering I'm younger, it's nice to be certified so when someone ask's my qualifications I can say "I'm certified by the state to apply pesticides and fertilizer", it helps make me look more professional I think

Steve
03-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi kc2006,

Couldn't we get someone on the forum to explain to you a little more what you need to get yourself started with this? I think there is potentially more money to be made by offering these services.

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Yup, have my license and love it. Heck, I am pursuing an application only type business.

The hardest thing about it, is following the regulations. Getting your shop, vehicle, paperwork, MSDS sheets, etc. up to par.

kc2006
03-31-2006, 03:30 PM
TG, I know of the regulations due to all the study material for the exams. I have everything set up actually to start offering the service (all the paperwork and storage of the chemicals). The only equipment I lack is a spreader, but I'll be picking one up soon.

I never did fertilizing back when I worked for the other company so this is a totally new ball game for me, and I want to keep learning about it before I actually get in it. I'm thinking next year I will for sure offer the service, by that time I think I'll have learned enough about it to feel comfortable doing it and hopefully the rest of the business is more stable at that point.

Steve
03-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi kc2006,

Just to pick your brain further. Do you think you could make more money this season if you offered it now? Would this be something that could really help you get this season going?

I know it's outside of your comfort zone at the moment, I am just trying to see if you need an extra push and if that would help you.

I would think that Troy could offer you specific suggestions on how to do certain things.

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 04:34 PM
I would be more than happy to help out with some different ideas, thoughts ,and growth

kc2006
03-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Honestly I doubt it would be a good addition just yet. This area is cornered by 3 local companies and trugreen. Although I noticed one company (the largest local company) is doing a horrible job, a ton of pesticide laying out in the street and on the driveway, they don't clean up after their done like regulations say you should. Using Troy's approach with this company might be a good thing to try next year.

I haven't had one call yet about fertilization either, that's why I say it probably wouldn't be a good service to offer yet. I'll probably market the service in the fall to try to get it out that I offer the service and then go full bore next spring and see what I can add.

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 08:12 PM
I will admit that it is frustrating at first with the applications. Last summer, I started around July/August and marketed the heck for new customers. Even all the way up until January. Not a single customer. I probably threw around $3,500 down the drains. That is when I stepped back and looked at my approach again. Gopher really helped me look for different ideas as well and not go with the normal approach. So far it has worked great. Anymore you really do have to think outside the box.

Steve
04-01-2006, 02:42 AM
Quote[/b] ]I haven't had one call yet about fertilization either, that's why I say it probably wouldn't be a good service to offer yet.
As we have seen with Troy. There can be quite a lag time before things start happening. If you started to put in your marketing material now that you have your applicators license it could start picking up interest for the fall.

I also wonder as a test, what if you started to hand out letters the way Troy did. What if you started getting calls? It's just something to consider. Sometimes you have to pull out all the stops and try anything to find something that will work.
It does seem like you would have a lot less competition in the lawn application business than in the lawn cutting business in your area. That's all the edge you may need to push on to the next level.