PDA

View Full Version : Young men with unlimited capital.

StartALawnCareBusiness
08-15-2008, 12:36 AM
After being in Woodstock, NY a couple weeks ago I have been fascinated with the origins of the concert.

Woodstock (which actually was more than 40 miles from the town) got its start (kind of) with an ad in the newspaper which read:

"Young Men With Unlimited Capital looking for interesting, legitimate investment opportunities and business propositions."

From a business perspective, this is a cool read:

http://www.woodstock69.com/wsrprnt1.htm

Keith

Steve
08-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Great find.

It is amazing when you think about it how it just takes a few people or even a single person to get the ball rolling for big things to happen.

Do you feel that the ball was dropped and more could have come from this or this was it and it was big and nothing could follow it?

StartALawnCareBusiness
08-16-2008, 03:06 AM
I think what amazes me most is that Woodstock was one fiasco after the next.

Yet, for all their mismanagement and all their foibles they pulled off the greatest rock concert ever. Sure, it could have been managed better from a business perspective. But, then, it wouldn't have been "WOODSTOCK."

I think these guys were amazing. They had this huge crazy dream that nobody thought could actually be brought to reality. Though they had tons of trouble beforehand and repercussions for years, they brought their dream to life by bouncing off every obstacle standing in their way.

Steve, maybe we can get a discussion going on another attribute successful entrepreneurs exhibit; tenacity. More entrepreneurs than you can imagine suffer setback after setback after setback. However, truly successful entrepreneurs seem to be launched ahead by each setback as they tenaciously strive toward their dreams.

BTW, "RUDY" was on one of the cable channels last week. Did anyone happen to watch? I saw it in the mid-90's but didn't realize how emotional that film is. Have you seen the movie? Talk about crazy dreams coming to reality by never giving up on something you want to do and think is right. The character is based on a real person. He is now well recognized and has springboarded his story into a career as a successful corporate consultant.

Keith

Steve
08-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I think what amazes me most is that Woodstock was one fiasco after the next.

Yet, for all their mismanagement and all their foibles they pulled off the greatest rock concert ever. Sure, it could have been managed better from a business perspective. But, then, it wouldn't have been "WOODSTOCK."

I think these guys were amazing. They had this huge crazy dream that nobody thought could actually be brought to reality. Though they had tons of trouble beforehand and repercussions for years, they brought their dream to life by bouncing off every obstacle standing in their way.

I agree this was amazing. They were four young guys with some money to back their ideas.

I have seen and know of many business ventures that are able to hang on because they have positive cash flow or they have cash reserves to cover the mess ups.

It's amazing how cash can help you get over many hurdles and let you survive another day.

Other businesses that don't have the luxury of a positive cash flow or have cash reserves usually aren't able to make it through the first problem they come across.

I do love the big thinking though. Why not!

Steve, maybe we can get a discussion going on another attribute successful entrepreneurs exhibit; tenacity. More entrepreneurs than you can imagine suffer setback after setback after setback. However, truly successful entrepreneurs seem to be launched ahead by each setback as they tenaciously strive toward their dreams.

I agree. I have had people come to me to talk about their new business ventures and they have said, 'look i got one shot at this and if it doesn't work, I am gonna pack it in.' I tell them you can't look at things that way. You are almost guaranteed to fail at your first attempt at anything when you know nothing about it. It's then your goal to learn from what you attempted and try to make it better on your second attempt. You need to be an inventor. You need to keep experimenting until you find results you are looking for.

Does any entrepreneurial story stand out for you where this applies?

BTW, "RUDY" was on one of the cable channels last week. Did anyone happen to watch? I saw it in the mid-90's but didn't realize how emotional that film is. Have you seen the movie? Talk about crazy dreams coming to reality by never giving up on something you want to do and think is right. The character is based on a real person. He is now well recognized and has springboarded his story into a career as a successful corporate consultant.

I did see that movie and isnt it amazing how all the guy wanted to do was play football. It wasn't rocket science. He was able to make it by practice and showing those who were the gate keepers that he had heart, he wanted this.

How often do you meet anyone with that amount of determination? It seems so rare.

Can you imagine if we all had that much focus? We could achieve anything!