PDA

View Full Version : 09 Bids and Contracts

cutritelawncareinc
08-14-2008, 08:03 PM
OK, I need some help here. 09 is coming and I was wondering how guys find out which contracts are up for bids for commercial areas as well as housing addition common areas, etc? I have looked at public notices in the newspaper and emailed property management companies with little to no luck. What do I need to do?? Thanks

StartALawnCareBusiness
08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Emailing is a good first step but don't stop there. You have to get your name in front of them and in their heads.

Pick up the phone to find out who you need to speak to. Get the name of the purchasing manager.

Pound the pavement to pay them visits. On your first visit, bring flyers, business cards, and photos of previous (current) lawn care projects.

On your second visit, bring your lawn care equipment. Invite the purchasing manager outside to see that you have the equipment necessary to complete their lawn work in a timely manner and with professional results.

Never take the first three "NOs" as a defeat. :)

Keith

cklandscapingorlando
09-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I might be wrong but I never take my trailer.I think you look smaller when you show up by your self with a bunch of stuff.I did this once and was asked if I thought I could do it alone.I told them that due to rain I gave my guys the day off.I did'nt get the work.I like to go to the site an hour ahead of our meeting so I can walk the whole place.I make a list of what I see and make it a point to tell them that I would never allow this to happen.I came up with a list of 25 reasons for a managment company to switch to us.This is just a list of the most common problems I've seen in my time.This gives them something to judge their current contracter to.Alot of them dont even know the place has a problem.I just put in a bid for Schneck who delivers the beer.I was standing In the entrance for about 20 min. waiting for the head maintanance man.When he got there I had a list of 22 things that I would fire my father for.Now he knows that we know what he needs without him saying a word

Steve
09-08-2008, 05:50 AM
I came up with a list of 25 reasons for a management company to switch to us.

That is fascinating! What kinds of things are on your list?

cklandscapingorlando
09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
1)inconsistant triming on viburnums
2)inconsistant triming of boxwoods
3)Vines growing up vibur.
4)weeds growing through bxwod
5)lack of edging of jasmine min.
6)jasmin growing on entrance sign
7)low tree canopy
8)lack of tree rings
9)lack of round up or eq.
10)dead or dying hollies
11)lack of bed edging
12)annuals need cut back
13)pond not mowed
14)myrtles need trimmed
15)ligustrums need balled
16)african iris oversprayed
17)irg. boxes not edged
18)beds not edged
19)crack weeds
20)juniper die back
21)weeds in juniper
22)tree suckers

Steve
09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
That is a great list. No matter what geographic area you live in, you could probably come up with a list like this too.

I bet the property managers are blown away when you point this stuff out from your list.

When you present this list, is it in the form of a check list and you just hand to them the checklist so they can go over it or do you read it to them?

What do you suggest is the best way to go about this?

cklandscapingorlando
09-09-2008, 06:45 PM
That is a great list. No matter what geographic area you live in, you could probably come up with a list like this too.

I bet the property managers are blown away when you point this stuff out from your list.

When you present this list, is it in the form of a check list and you just hand to them the checklist so they can go over it or do you read it to them?

What do you suggest is the best way to go about this?

Well this is not the list I came up with.This is the 22 problems I seen on this particular site.He was impressed I know that.The bad thing is I've seen 100 time worse.I do this just to show them that we know how to maintain a high profile property.In fact there taking a bid for maybe 5 of these problems so I showed him 17 issues that he did'nt even know was an issue

cklandscapingorlando
09-09-2008, 07:41 PM
1)trees,weeds,ferns,and any number of unwanted plant materials growing under and/or through your hedges.

2)Tree rings have closed up due to lack of chemical control and soft line edging.

3)Flower and shrub beds are full of weeds due to lack of chemical control and soft line edging

4)Shrubs are full of vines because they have been hedge clipped from the top instead of pulled out from the roots.

5)Shrub hights are inconsistent or over grown due to improper trimming.

6)Ligustrums,Wax Myrtles, and other formal specimens are un-kept or improperly maintained.

7)Shrubs that are dead or in decline due to excessive trimming or failure to cut back certain plant varieties at the proper time of year.

8)Ground covers in decline due to over spray from chemical control.

9)Tree limbs to low for comunity activities.

10)Shrubs are growing into AC unit due to lack of trimming.

11)The backs of shrubs are growing into your buildings due to lack of trimming

12)Birds of paradise,philodendrons,crinum lilies,and other tropical plants look un-kept due to a lack of proper maintainance.

13)Weeds are growing in the cracks of roads, sidewalks, and curbs due to a lack of chemical control.

14)Lack of seperation between individual plant species due to improper t
rimming.

15)Turf is cut to low due to improper mower hight.

16)Clumps or stripes of dried lawn clippings left on your turf after mowing.

17)Turf has "hairs" left over after mowing due to dull mower blades.

18)Failure to remove dead plants or declining plant portions from beds.

19)It has been over two weeks since you have talked to the landscape forman face to face.

20)Issues are slow to be resolved or neglected altogether.

21)Failure to remove trash and debris from the property.

22)Difficuty reaching your properties supervisor or company owner.

23)Entrance, office, and/or pool areas have become an eye sore.

24)Ponds and difficult to mow areas are not maintained with a line trimmer.

25)An overall lack of soft scape knowledge, whether it be diagnosing chinch bugs or fungus in your turf or a lack of azalea blooms from trimming to late in the session.

Theres a few things after this list that helps explain how we're diffrent from the next company.I have some other things that I also give out with my bids that sets us apart from other people.At least in their minds.

If any of you guys want to use this I only have 2 request.1)If your in central florida please switch it up some with wording and order so were not giving out the same stuff.2)Make sure your good enough to live up to every thing on it.