PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

Steve
03-31-2006, 05:00 AM
Which do you feel is better and why?

When you are getting your business off the ground, is it better to do less desireable work in your business, for instance say gutter cleaning etc.

Or

Is it better to take on a part time job?

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 12:45 PM
It is better to do less desireable work. It really gets your foot in the door and starts to get your name out there.

But of course, I worked a part time job too the first two years of my business

Steve
03-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Quote[/b] ]But of course, I worked a part time job too the first two years of my business

Why did you? Was it because it was tough finding jobs for your company or because of another reason?

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 04:33 PM
It was mostly because I wanted to make sure I had a back up plan in case the business did not work out. But I also needed money coming in while I built up the customer base

Steve
03-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Was there a defining moment when you realized you no longer needed that p/t job?

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 04:44 PM
There was two things that finally drove me away from:
1. I couldn't keep up with work. I get in over my head and realized that I need to really stop what I am doing and get a handle on things.
2. I could realize that I would more money if I devoted my extra time from the part time job into my business instead.

The only kind of little thing that drove me:
1. At my current employer I always have to work on holidays and weekends because I was the new guy. Now keep in this in mind it was a party store. So during the holidays it was the busiest. One year in particular I wanted a holiday off (the fourth of July) but I was told that they were not available to take off until a month in advance. No problem I thought. I thought for sure I would be able to take it off since I work St. Patricks Day, Easter, Memorial Day, etc. I was the only one that had not had a holiday off yet. So when the time rolled around to be able ask for the holiday another employee already had it reserved and low and behold they were somehow able to get Labor Day off as well. So I asked, how come I can not have a holiday off or even a weekend like everybody else. I never got a straight answer. So, when I locked up for the night after my shift, I left a note on managers desk basically telling her that I was done immediately, and I will not give them a two week or one week notice since they never gave me a proper notice to get time off.

Steve
03-31-2006, 04:54 PM
That's a really good point.

You know it makes you think about the way employees are treated. If you're not careful, as an employer, this could happen to any of us.

Did you ever have any regrets after you left or was it something you felt good about immediately?

tiedeman
03-31-2006, 06:32 PM
I felt great about it after I left. So much stress was lifted off from my shoulders.