PDA

View Full Version : Scag or Exmark?

arcada
08-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Hello,

Im just starting out and I have the option to purchase one of the two mowers. 2004 Scag 48 Advantage which is said to be used as a residential mower only or Exmark 48" Hydro ECS not sure how many hours or year. Can anyone give me some insight on which one to purchase and why I should purchase that particular one. Thank you in advance.

Steve
08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi and welcome to our forum.

Does anyone have any advice to share with him about either machine? I know I have read a lot of positive posts about scag on here.

LOUROCK
08-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I own both a Scag walkbehind and a Exmark rider. Both machines are top in the industry, I would buy the one that is in best condition. No matter the price. Since you're starting out you need something thats reliable. also, the one with the highest hores power engine would also be a good idea!:D
Good Luck! By the way, I started with a Scag 48 very good machine 17 horespower Kawasaki eng.
Green Star Lawn Care North Jersey

StartALawnCareBusiness
08-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Check out everything on both mowers. Start at the front tip and work your way backward. Look for every possible thing that might go wrong with the mower and work that into your price.

Wheel bearings, deck condition on top and underneath, spindle wear, belts, shifters, throttle cable, switches, etc. Check the engines...oil (changed often), air filter (in good shape and kept clean), pull or electric starter (starts easy) blade engagement (full power or slipping), tracking (pull to one side or straight line), tires (new or need replacing).

How many hours does each machine have? How much of a discount are you getting over paying for a new machine?

Keith

LynnCo
08-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I have 3 exmark riders, 1 2005 60" and 2 2006 72". These machines take a beating. I only do industrial, very rough industrial. 06's have around 600hrs and all hydro pumps had to be replaced along with a few other odds and ends but besides that its just blades and tires.I LOVE my exmarks so they get my vote. But DEF check everything keith says

univland
08-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Hello -

I bought my first Exmark in 1988. It still has the original Kawasaki FC420v on it, and my brother still uses it to mow his lawn. I have since owned Bobcat, Scag, Walker, but always went back to Exmark. Found the Bobcat and Scag to be far heavier, but no better. Everyone is different, and likes different things so try them out thoroughly before you buy. Hope my experience helps..........JB

Steve
08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
What did you like most about the Exmarks?