PDA

View Full Version : Clean air lawn care is using neuton lawn mowers

Steve
08-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I just got an update of photos from Clean Air Lawn Care and they have a real nice set up.

They are using neuton electric lawn mowers.

What do you think of this?

UniversityLandscapers
08-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I've never heard of Neuton? Do they make higher quality stuff?

The only battery mowers I've ever seen are the Black and Decker pieces of junk they sell at Home Depot.

Steve
08-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I don't know of their quality but I am hearing of them more and more

http://www.neutonpower.com/

Check out the site.

Little's
08-08-2008, 12:53 AM
While I think the battery powered equipment is very catchy, I have an issue with them. They are great for being quiet, but the whole "clean air" thing is misleading. The majority of electricity is produced by coal which is very poluting. So every time you charge the battery, you are using electricity provided by burning coal.
Probably not a big deal to some people, but I would feel as if I was cheating my customers who hired me for the "clean air".

Just a thought off the top of my head, thats all.

quickcleanlawn
08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
While I think the battery powered equipment is very catchy, I have an issue with them. They are great for being quiet, but the whole "clean air" thing is misleading. The majority of electricity is produced by coal which is very poluting. So every time you charge the battery, you are using electricity provided by burning coal.
Probably not a big deal to some people, but I would feel as if I was cheating my customers who hired me for the "clean air".

Just a thought off the top of my head, thats all.

Never realy thought of that , good point though.
I guess the only way to realy have clean air mowing, is to mow with manual mowers but who wants to do that right.

Little's
08-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I used a reel mower a few times when I was a kid. Man that was a pain. They sell them at home depot and such, but I wonder if they work any better then they used too. Im sure the one I used was all rusty and dull as hell!

Steve
08-08-2008, 01:19 PM
It would be neat if they had solar panels at their building and could use them to recharge the batteries for the mowers.

Little's
08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
That would be an idea. I wonder if it would be cost effective. I know the cost of solar panels are coming down. Maybe in the near future, they will be more affordable for more people. What if you could use wind power on top of your building to charge your batteries. Of course it wouldnt work for everyone, but some people may be able to do it. Especially in areas like Chicago.

quickcleanlawn
08-08-2008, 02:21 PM
all the reel mower I see are peices of s***. the best one I ever used was an old one.

clarklandscaping
08-08-2008, 07:55 PM
looks like he has a solar panel mounted to the roof of his truck. I wonder if thats how he is recharging his batteries?

I dont think I would be up for pushing a 22" mower around someones lawn though. I wonder how many lawns he is doing on a daily basis using this type of mower? I really dont see how this business model will bring him profits though.

quickcleanlawn
08-08-2008, 10:30 PM
looks like he has a solar panel mounted to the roof of his truck. I wonder if thats how he is recharging his batteries?

I dont think I would be up for pushing a 22" mower around someones lawn though. I wonder how many lawns he is doing on a daily basis using this type of mower? I really dont see how this business model will bring him profits though.

yea I see that. are the mowers for comercial use. I bet as long as you maket small lawns and not over grown ones, an outfit like that could do pretty good.

grasskeepers
02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Removable, rechargeable battery
Recharging costs about 10 cents
Fully charges in 12 hours
Runs for up to an hour (depending on grass conditions)
Battery lasts for five years (with proper care)
Battery is over 95% recyclable

you would need 8 batteries for last the day and 80 bucks a pop its would take a long time for pay for it self

Steve
02-21-2009, 01:22 PM
That is a very good point. That is $640 for all he batteries. How long would it take to use that much gas to power a similar push mower?

Recharging costs about 10 cents
Is that per battery? That is fascinating! I wonder how that cost is calculated.

So then maybe it would cost about $.80 a day to charge the batteries.

VPS Lawn Care
02-22-2009, 09:21 AM
it looks to me that it is very labor intense also which we all know time is money, therefore you would have to charge more per lawn & in these times people just cant afford to spend the extra

Polands lawn care
02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I think it could work for a "speciality" market of lawns such as town home or very small lots big house type developments or even the Green crowd. I have alot of small lot, big house, and heavy landscaped yard and even a pool in the back which leaves very little grass too mow. Just charge a premium price, advertise saving of the enviroment by using these mowers and market in the right areas to the right people and boom you have a "GREEN" mowing service!..............Hey, thats a good idea I think Ill do that.

Steve
02-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Just charge a premium price, advertise saving of the enviroment by using these mowers and market in the right areas to the right people and boom you have a "GREEN" mowing service!..............Hey, thats a good idea I think Ill do that.

What do you think you would have to charge per lawn in order to do that? How would the price differ from mowing with a gas mower?

KatieCleanAir
03-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Clean Air Lawn Care is a full-service sustainable lawn care company headquartered in Colorado. 5-10% of the nation's air pollution is generated by conventional lawn care equipment and Clean Air Lawn Care is out to change that. All equipment is powered with renewable energy: charged with wind power overnight and run off of the truck-mounted solar panels during the day. Larger equipment is run on locally produced biodiesel. The company is carbon neutral. Clean Air also offers an organic fertilization program. Check out the Clean Lawn Calculator (http://www.cleanairlawncare.com/calculator/index.html) to calculate the emissions associated with maintaining your lawn.

The company uses both Black & Decker and Neuton electric mowers and runs operations nationwide on the equipment. Clean Air Lawn Care has 15 franchises and 26 territories across the country and is seeing up to 200% growth in the various markets. Learn more at www.cleanairlawncare.com/fran/index.html

Steve
03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Katie,

Thanks for jumping in here and offering all that great information!

How did the company get started? Is there a fun behind the scenes story to it all?

SuperiorPower
03-24-2009, 05:07 PM
I am not a big believer or supporter of the "green movement" but noticed the 2009 Nothern tool catalog has numerous Solar panels and wind turbines. I am all for manufacturing products that get good "fuel mileage" or that are not gas guzzlers but I think today's society has gone completely overboard.

I also recently noticed an ad in the local "add sheet" for a "green team" lawn care company. They even use a bycicle and trailer to pull the lawn mower. I want to know how they trim the lawn. they advertise "no noise or pollution"..... Like I said, I think this is overboard. I wonder if they ever thought about how their bicycle or trailer were made. Without fossil fuels? I doubt it. We live in a society where this kind of thing has not been thought out. We do what is convenient superficially, but nothing more....

Steve
03-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Solar panels and wind turbines.

I love the concept of them. I think we are going to see a lot more great things come from this. Have you considered getting anything like that for your shop? That could be great press for your local media.

picframer
03-24-2009, 07:11 PM
I wonder what the upfront capital costs are, solar panels here are very expensive, she mentioned wind power, does that mean you buy a turbine? We have a lot of wind power here however it's desperate expensive to get set up as you need environmental permits as they generate noise pollution and I see there are studies on how the noise generated effects humans.

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% behind anything that helps the environment but I wonder just how much is factored in. With a 22" mower and having to change batteries every hour, at least here, it would be a very tough sell.

Lukacs Property Maintenance
03-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Just wanted to add this.

There are ikts you can buy. Heres a vid.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7r995_how-to-build-a-wind-generator-3of3

Mike