PDA

View Full Version : High Points

StartALawnCareBusiness
08-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi everyone:

Sorry I've been out of touch lately.

This "pursuit of happiness" board is a great idea. So, I will let you know of my latest pursuit.

I am working on hiking to the highest elevation point in each state. The activity isn't rare. It's called "highpointing" and lots of people do it. I learned about the idea earlier this summer.

Some highpoints are very simple hikes from nearby parking lots. Others require technical climbing skills and GPS navigation. There are even a few that I will probably never have the ability to reach in my life...but, the attempt will be fun. The whole endevour might literally take me years to complete. It takes time and money to travel to and then climb some of the more remote locations.

A friend got married in upstate Vermont last week. The road trip gave me a great chance to knock out a few more states.

I truly believe having long term goals away from business and the "normalcy" of life gives us better appreciation and perspective of our day-to-day pursuits.

Steve, btw, I was able to see Todd Rundgren in Woodstock while I was in New York.

Keith

Little's
08-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Keith, that sounds like a blast. I live about 45 minutes from Mt. Shasta. I have been fortunate to look at this beautiful mountain every day of my life. After 30 years, I am still in aww when I look at it. Let me know when you make it out here to Northern California to give it a shot. There are some great climbing shops around here (naturally), and a lot of people have attempted it, and succeeded, but at 14,440 ft., every year there are people that die on this mountain, and many people have never been found up there. Probably turned to ice cubes.

Be careful in your adventures. I would like to show you around if you need any locals knowledge I may be able to assist you.

http://www.littlestreeworks.com/random/shasta.JPG

Steve
08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
WOW now that sounds very interesting!

In fact that is book material! I hope you are writing a lot about your adventures and taking pictures.

Do you find yourself thinking much about anything when you are climbing these places or is it more of an activity that helps you clear your mind?

Steve, btw, I was able to see Todd Rundgren in Woodstock while I was in New York.

Nice! How did you line this up?

Brandon,
That is a great picture! What is that in the for ground? It looks like rows of purple?

Little's
08-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Steve this is a lavender farm. You can come here in the Summer and pick your own lavender. They also make and sell products from the lavender such as soaps, lotions, oils, etc. It costs like $3 per 100 stems to pick yourself. It is a lot of fun for the wife and kids.

Also, this picture is looking at the North side of the mountain. We are about 25 miles from it here, to give you a visual perspective of its size. I live on the south side of it. This is also in the middle of Summer where it is 100 degrees all Summer long, and this is about the least snow you will ever see on it. Great skiing and snowboarding through the Winter though! whoo hooo!

quickcleanlawn
08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
that is awsome ! looks like the side of my coors lite can LOL.
Keath sounds like your enjoying life to the fullest. Hope one day I can get out of this mudhole and and show my chidren what the rest of the world looks like .Reminds me of when I was young I used to ride all over the US with my dad and his freind that who collects 1950 olds.we were mostly through Verginia and that area though.
Thats awsome keep it up Keath!

StartALawnCareBusiness
08-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Do you find yourself thinking much about anything when you are climbing these places or is it more of an activity that helps you clear your mind?

Yes, I think about not falling. :p
It is mind clearing and cathartic to be miles away from civilization.

I would like to show you around if you need any locals knowledge I may be able to assist you.

Mt. Shasta looks amazing. I get goose bumps just looking at that picture. California is not on schedule for this year but maybe in 2009. When I get out that way I will definately let you know beforehand.

Hope one day I can get out of this mudhole and and show my chidren what the rest of the world looks like

I have travelled quite a bit the last two years when I've had time. It amazes me how cheap you can actually travel if you are willing to tent camp or drop your rear seats and roll out a sleeping bag or have a camper top on your truck bed. I also try to keep a cooler stocked with food in my vehicle so I'm not tempted to eat out all the time. Gas money was the biggest expense for this trip to VT. Oh, and tolls...I can't believe how many toll roads and toll bridges there are in the North East.

Steve
08-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Keith,

Which place has stood out the most so far and which place are you most looking towards visiting?