PDA

View Full Version : Branding Bloopers

Steve
03-31-2006, 06:23 AM
Here is an interesting reflection on branding bloopers as viewed by Kelly O'Keefe an independent branding consultant and CEO of O'Keefe Brands.

Microsoft is calling its own customers "dinosaurheads?" The idea behind Microsoft's ads that feature office workers with heads of a dinosaur is to tell the company's business customers that's it's time to upgrade or risk missing out on new features and benefits.

"It's sophomoric and it doesn't work," said O'Keefe. "Microsoft is demeaning its own customers who are already using its products by implying they're dinosaurheads if they don't upgrade quickly."

I didn't get this ad campaign either. The dinosaur head thing just didn't grab me.

Steve
03-31-2006, 06:27 AM
Wal-Mart The giant retailer has been on O'Keefe's bloopers list a few times. Wal-Mart's attempt to tweak its merchandise and marketing mix to appeal to an more upscale consumer is a mistake, he said, adding that Wal-Mart's Christmas ads this past holiday featuring singer Beyonce at home with her family opening gifts were a bad idea.

"Beyonce doesn't speak to Wal-Mart's core customers," he said. "Wal-Mart's always been about low prices. Instead of trying to be someone who they're not, Wal-Mart should refocus on who they once were to the customer, which was a no-frills provider of products at great prices and friendly service."

O'Keefe's other gripe is about the disappearance of "Mr. Smiley" from Wal-Mart's ads. "The smiley face wasn't only about low prices but it became a symbol of Wal-Mart.

We all know Beyonce does not shop at Wal-mart. No one would ever consider she does. Why use her as a spokeswoman?

Steve
03-31-2006, 06:30 AM
O'Keefe applauds American Express (Research)' "My Life. My Card" campaign which features well-known celebrities such as Robert de Niro and Ellen DeGeneres talking about the role of the brand in their lives.

"One thing we look for in great brands is how they maintain long-term consistency of the image, said O'Keefe. "With the new campaign, American Express is once again promoting the concept that the brand isn't a commodity but rather that those who use it belong to an exclusive club."

I have always liked these ads as well. The American Express brand is classic. Something you strive for. It does feel like having such a card is to be a part of an exclusive club.

One of our forum members Ned had mentioned in another post of his not to mess with your brand. Here is a great example of American Express sticking with what works.