PDA

View Full Version : My opinion of HUSTLER

kolawns
07-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Well….

I bought a HUSTLER 36” Mini Z 1-16-08. I realized after I bought it that all of the build dates on the frame, hydros & the engine said 03/06 (So, it was new, but it had sat somewhere for about 2 years). I only had it for about 6 months, I only was able to put about 61 hours on it. I talked to my dealer & I did an even trade on a TORO 32” Classic Proline w/b w/T-bars & a floating deck. I lost about $1500 in that deal!

I let PJ, Chad (Hustler reps) & Hustler know about these problems and they finally just ignored my calls. At least they wouldn’t answer my calls or return my calls. The mechanic at my dealer said that this is what they put up with from Hustler all of the time!

If the Hustler got damp (as in morning dew) or wet (as in a light rain) it wouldn’t start – or if I could get it started, the PTO switch wouldn’t work (so I couldn’t cut any grass). I can’t tell you how many times this thing was just dead, sitting on my trailer. But d**n, did it ever look good sitting on my trailer (that bright yellow really stuck out!)!!! It died a couple of times off my trailer & it’d be at least a few hours before I could get it started to get it back on my trailer!!!

The HUSTLER only had 56.3 hours on it. Numerous bolts actually fell off from just vibration. But this is normal (or so I was told)! The paint started to bubble up on the frame & rust underneath it! But, this too is normal! Nuts and bolts all over that thing kept unscrewing themselves & falling off. My deck almost fell off on one side because of this, twice!!! The nuts and bolts that held the floor pan on fell off – I noticed this when I opened it & there was nothing holding it! But, as I was told, this is also normal! Ya, maybe for a POS HUSTLER!

The arm rests were replaced at about 50 hours (I think) because they were drying out & falling apart where the seams were. I would go thru one set of the blades for that mower after about every ½ hour of use (I had to replace 3 of the larger blades on that mower in about 50 hours because they just wore down!). Whereas with the TORO 32”, on the same properties, one set of blades will last about 3-5 hours before needing to be sharpened. I cut grass in Florida, if you’ve never cut grass here then you don’t know how fast the sand will make your blades dull! But the sand also sand blasts you deck clean of everything in about 5 minutes of mowing!

Even at like 1.5 – 2 mph with only 10 psi in the tires, that thing would bounce the H**L out of me!!! It cut like crap – compared to the TORO’s I’ve used on the same properties.

If you can't tell, I'm kind of pi**ed at myself for ever even considering purchasing that mower. Both the mower & the service that I got from Hustler suc**d!!!

I had more issues (negative) with the mower, but I know you’re probably tired of reading this, I know that I’m tired of typing this.

:mad:

Steve
07-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I am very sorry about that. Did you know anyone who had that mower? What did you like about it initially that made you choose it over others?

kolawns
07-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I am very sorry about that. Did you know anyone who had that mower? What did you like about it initially that made you choose it over others?

I knew others with older Hustlers & they loved them, hence I THOUGHT I was making a good business decision. But, from what I can tell, most everyone dislikes the newer Hustlers & Hustlers customer service.

tomcat172002
07-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Well thats good to know about Hustler. I didn't know they were that bad. I use a Scag I had a 36 inch Freedom Z, I traded it in for a 48 Freedom Z. Scag has good customer service and there mowers are pretty good from my experience.

kolawns
07-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Well thats good to know about Hustler. I didn't know they were that bad. I use a Scag I had a 36 inch Freedom Z, I traded it in for a 48 Freedom Z. Scag has good customer service and there mowers are pretty good from my experience.

good to know

realhuntin
07-28-2008, 01:17 AM
I have used many different Manf. and I personally like SCAG best over all, I have purchased a used Hustler 2003 model, 72' with a 28 hp Kaw and have had ZERO problems out of it, when I bought it in late May 08 it had 785 hours on it and it now it has little over 900. I dont think it stripes as well as the SCAG's I have but it does OK, if you don't cut side by side. I take very good care of all my equipment and the LCO (friend of mine) has a whole fleet of these Hustler's and if anyone is harder on equipment than they are I'll take that dare. These guys are rough and tough on those things and they have lasted better than the old X-marks they use to use. (which isn't saying a lot about X-mark). The Hustler I have will be sold or traded off next spring and I will replace it with a new SCAG. One of my Scag Belt-Drive Walk Behind 36" over 15 years old and still "trusty and very dependable" you can see for yourself here, http://scag.com/showyourstripes.html
scroll down to Date Submitted: 5-30-2007 one of the first submitted.

I'm truly sorry to hear about anyone that has bad luck on equipment purchases no-matter what Manf. they chose.

Good Luck
Tim