PDA

View Full Version : My fall promotion

justin_time
07-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Here's what I'm thinking of doing in the fall

Let me know what you think

Steve
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Very nice work Justin! Do you have a stump grinder or will you be renting one?

If you are renting, it would be great if you could line up a bunch of stump jobs on a certain day/days. Then you really could increase your profits.

Give us the low down.

justin_time
07-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Very nice work Justin! Do you have a stump grinder or will you be renting one?

If you are renting, it would be great if you could line up a bunch of stump jobs on a certain day/days. Then you really could increase your profits.

Give us the low down.

I will be renting the stump grinder. It will cost me 100$ a day to rent it so I hope I will get a few jobs out of it

Steve
07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Fantastic! So when do these go out and how many of them?

justin_time
07-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Fantastic! So when do these go out and how many of them?

Not sure yet.. probably just 1000

Steve
07-24-2008, 03:32 PM
How will you be distributing those?

Also, I don't know about this, but do all tree service companies offer stump grinding? If they don't then maybe you could market to them too.

justin_time
07-24-2008, 05:03 PM
How will you be distributing those?

I will send those through the Canada Post office. I only have to pay 10 cents per flyer.. I find it cheap then doing it door to door

Also, I don't know about this, but do all tree service companies offer stump grinding? If they don't then maybe you could market to them too.

In fact, the closest tree company out here is about 1 hr away and I'm sure they don't want to come out here to do work so yeah.

I am hoping to get myself a little professional chainsaw course so I can do trees.

So that's why I am offering stump grinding because I know alot of my current customers have lots of tree stumps and they want to get rid of them

Steve
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Oh that's very interesting! Who knows, maybe you will be on to something here offering tree service.

Good stuff!

musician/lawnman
07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Looks good Justin,
Simple & to the point like advertising should be.

justin_time
07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Looks good Justin,
Simple & to the point like advertising should be.

That's what I learned in school is the rule of Kiss

K= Keep
I= it
S= simple
S= stupid

Little's
07-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Hey Justin. Like the flyer. Maybe the stump grinding will become a good extra for you. I send all my stumps to a guy I know. He stays very busy grinding. He has a Rayco grinder that he spent over $30,000 on. I think renting is a good idea. Then you can test the waters without making a huge investment.

On a side note, you may want to check your expiration date on your flyer. I think it says 2008 instead of 2009. It would suck printing 1000 of them with a bad exp. date!

justin_time
07-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Hey Justin. Like the flyer. Maybe the stump grinding will become a good extra for you. I send all my stumps to a guy I know. He stays very busy grinding. He has a Rayco grinder that he spent over $30,000 on. I think renting is a good idea. Then you can test the waters without making a huge investment.

On a side note, you may want to check your expiration date on your flyer. I think it says 2008 instead of 2009. It would suck printing 1000 of them with a bad exp. date!

Well we are in 2008 aren't we ?

quickcleanlawn
07-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Thats great, I like that. Just in time for fall! nice work :D

justin_time
07-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Thats great, I like that. Just in time for fall! nice work :D

That's one reason I name my business Just in Time Yard Services

So that I can use my business name in that kind of sentence and make it play on words :D

I am so smart... SMRT... DOH !!! (Simpsons) lol

quickcleanlawn
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
when are you going to pass them out ?
just curious, how soon before fall do you start promoting ?
same for winter spring and summer ?

justin_time
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
when are you going to pass them out ?
just curious, how soon before fall do you start promoting ?
same for winter spring and summer ?

Not sure if you have snow down there but fall usually starts mid september so I'm gonna send them then. Probably Sept 15. It is a monday so it will give them by Oct. 1st/2008 to sign up if they want to save (use that coupon)

Because I am assuming my lawns will be done by mid september so yeah

justin_time
07-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I got to send about 1250 flyers at 10 cents each.

I got printing cost of 10 cents per flyer. But I'm trying to think of something to print on the other side of the paper.

Maybe advertise for next year ?

I don't know...

Steve
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Well what other services do you offer in the fall / winter that you want to promote?

Plan-It Graphics
07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
I thought i'd see what I could do with your stump grinding flyer.

What do you think?

http://www.gopherforum.com/uploaded-files/images/stump-postcard.gif

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/jetskibob1/footer.gif

Steve
07-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Is Bob the man or what! WOW Nice work!

justin_time
07-31-2008, 05:17 PM
I thought i'd see what I could do with your stump grinding flyer.

What do you think?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/jetskibob1/Permagreen/stump.gif

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/jetskibob1/footer.gif

What do I think ?

I LOVE IT :D :D

Except I don't do aerating though

Any possibility that we can get those printed ?

Steve
07-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Maybe this is the year to experiment with aeration! :)

Big Lebowski
08-09-2008, 11:11 PM
So the grinder costs $100 per day. What are you charging to grind stumps? How long does it take to grind a typical normal sized stump? How far down do you grind it?

Sorry for all the questions but, I have thought of offering this also. I have also been thinking of pool service a lot lately too.

Steve
08-10-2008, 07:31 PM
I found this information on another site (http://www.costhelper.com/cost/home-garden/tree-removal.html) and I hope it helps you with your stump grinding bidding.

Typical costs:

* Small trees up to about 30-feet high, such as a Black Mulberry, Dogwood or Russian Olive, with clearance of buildings and utility lines cost about $125-$437 to remove.
* Medium-sized trees from 30-60 feet tall including the Black Alder, Black Gum and Crabapple, that are set apart from buildings and utilities run $175-$900.
* Large trees 60-80 feet high, including Red Oak, Pine and Black Locust, are estimated at $400-$1,000.
* Trees 80-100 feet tall such as the American Ash, Bur Oak and Sugar Maple can cost anywhere from $962-$1,400+.

Additional costs:

* Stump grinding pulverizes the remaining tree stump into a pile of sawdust and may be priced separately or as part of the estimate. Large stump grinding averages $169-$300. Small stumps are about $75.
* While branches and litter from the tree removal are cleaned up by the tree crew, the cost estimate does not always include hauling away the large pieces of potential firewood. Some companies charge up to $350 to haul away trunk wood from a 30-foot tree removal.
* Chipping branches may be an extra $65-$150 per hour, if not included in the estimate. Some outfits charge around $50 to haul away the load of chips.
* Hiring an out-of-the-area arborist will cost drive time plus mileage. Arborist consultations can run $125 per hour.
* Check city codes. Some trees ** either on the street or on private property ** are protected in certain areas.

Let me know if this helps

mario543k20
08-27-2008, 09:10 PM
I found this information on another site (http://www.costhelper.com/cost/home-garden/tree-removal.html) and I hope it helps you with your stump grinding bidding.

Let me know if this helps

wow good info in here!! I love the additional possibilities to make money when it comes to landscaping!!

Steve
08-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Mario are you going to be offering stump grinding services this fall?

mario543k20
08-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Mario are you going to be offering stump grinding services this fall?

Honestly... I didn't even know such a product existed :o. I've heard it was super expensive to remove a stump, and that's why most people don't remove them. Grinding the stump down seems like a much cheaper alternative, but maybe the expensive grinding of a stump is what is associated with an expensive stump removal:confused:.

I stopped by my local contractor supply store to inquire about renting a stump grinder. They rent it for $165 + tax!!! :eek: The guy behind the desk was super nice, and came around the counter to walk me to the warehouse and actually show me what one looked like and how to use it. He even let me in on a secret, he said if I came in to rent one on a Friday night, right before closing, I would have it for all day Saturday, AND Sunday since their closed Sunday. So for the rental price of one day, I could get 2 days. I have no clients right now, besides my neighbor, and a family friend, but I'm starting small and researching all my possibilities at the moment.

On a side note, I registered to Salesgenie.com yesterday, (a suggestion from another member) and I'm working with my sister who's worked in sales. I'm putting together a letter to explain what services I offer etc...

sorry for the rant. when my fingers start typing, there's no end :o

Steve
08-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Let us know how the sales genie works.

As far as the stump grinding, I think Home Depot has smaller ones that are pretty effective and cheap.

If you get a chance, stop by there and see how much they charge.

Over a two day period I bet you could get a bunch of stumps grinded.

mario543k20
08-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Let us know how the sales genie works.

As far as the stump grinding, I think Home Depot has smaller ones that are pretty effective and cheap.

If you get a chance, stop by there and see how much they charge.

Over a two day period I bet you could get a bunch of stumps grinded.

yea otherwise pricing would be all over the place. I would have to charge $180-$200 to make a profit, but if I were to get more than one request for stump grinding I would definetly lower the price. It would be a hard thing to price out. I'll stop by Home Depot between today and tomorrow, and let you know.

justin_time
09-21-2008, 10:10 PM
I've sent 475 color flyers on Wednesday and I only received 1 estimate so far.

I've seen most of my flyers in the garbage can at the post office, so does this mean people are tired of flyers ?

Plan-It Graphics
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I've sent 475 color flyers on Wednesday and I only received 1 estimate so far.

I've seen most of my flyers in the garbage can at the post office, so does this mean people are tired of flyers ?

No that is actually a reasonable response from 475 flyers.

A good industry standard for direct Mail is 1-2% response rate. But I'll tell you its been a long time since I've seen a 1% response from my mailings. So at 1% you should have gotten about 4.75 calls. That might seem a little low...

However... You are marketing a service that is VERY unique. I don't know how it is in Canada, but there just are not that many stumps that need to be ground down. For example if you did a flyer for "grass cutting" lets say, you know that just about everyone who sees your flyer, (or if you distribute them you can make sure) has a lawn. You don't know if everyone who saw your flyer has a stump that needs ground down. So you have shrunk your market. The same would be as if you marketed dog fence installation. If you mailed to every home in a neighborhood, you have no idea who has a dog or not. Even though your flyer has other services on it, the only thing that customer see is the "stump grinding."

Since customers only look at these thing for a split second, they are not seeing anything else but the main selling point. If they are interested in that, they might look at your other services, but not unless they want the main service your offering on the flyer. Make sense?

So I say if you got one from 475 that is a good response. I think many people(and I'm not pointing the finger at you) don't realize how many flyers, postcards, door hangers, or whatever... it really takes to really get a large number of sales.

Don't get frustrated, keep putting them out!!!