PDA

View Full Version : Headge shearing job

Lukacs Property Maintenance
07-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Have some before and after pics of some cedar hedges.All done by hand.Shering is the job i love doing the most, besides lawn care. Anybody else have a favorite thing you love doing?

Steve
07-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh you did such a great job with that!

How long did it take you to do that job?

If you were to do it again, what would you have done differently?

Little's
07-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Wow those cedars look nice! You did a great job. Did I rad that right, you did them by hand? You dont use a headger?

My favorite thing to do is tree trimming. Its a blast and quite an adrenaline rush climbing them.

VPS Lawn Care
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Good job man you have a nack for it, great to do what ya love huh? I love the grass, a good stright line cut, stipping, all diffrent pattern's and a super clean edge, when edgeing it.

hey i have a question for you since i hate hedges but seem to do alot, when they have them mulched under the hedges how the heck do ya get all the darn leaves out of the mulch after hedgeing?

07-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Good question.

!st question. It took about 7 1/2 hours. Two people.

2nd question. I prefer doing it by hand because when you do bushes with dence foliage it can take only one slip or wrong move and there gose the perfect round shape you want. When i'm working on tall hedges or a long strip of hedege then ill use the gas shears. I have never gotten complaints when i do it by hand. I have been asked to come back and do a better job when i've done it by gas shears. Its gona happen.

3rd question. When i am going to do a shearing job my clean up usually can be done 2 ways. One way is the lay a tarp down on the ground under the side of the hedge your working on, shear that side then pick up the tarp by all four corners and drag it to the trailer. Clean as you go. The second way is just as easy. I have a stihl electric blower/vac. The blower/vac is just a machine i can convert to a leaf mulching machine. It will such up tonnes of crap out of the mulch and rocks. It mulches it and puts it in the side bag for easy disposal. This machine dose a better job then if you picked up all the debris by hand.

Anybody else have a favourite job? (shearing, mowing, etc.)

Mike

UniversityLandscapers
07-28-2008, 08:02 PM
My favourite job is laying turf...there's a really satisfying feeling when you look at a lush green lawn that's just been laid.

08-21-2008, 04:53 PM
I haven't installed sod yet. Its on my list of things to do. Is it hard to do? What equipment do you need?

Mike:rolleyes:

UniversityLandscapers
08-22-2008, 01:21 AM
I haven't installed sod yet. Its on my list of things to do. Is it hard to do? What equipment do you need?

Mike:rolleyes:

If you're ripping up the old sod, it helps to rent a sod cutter, or just go at it with a skid steer if it's a big yard. Any lawn over 2,000 sq ft or so, it's nice to have a skid steer, both to rip the old out, and bring in the new soil.

You don't need to have any fancy equipment, just an eye for level. You rip out the old, then bring in 3-4" of new, turf blend soil (50% sand, 50% compost). You have to level the soil with a big levelling rake (or with a raking machine if your lawn is huge), then roll it once or twice to get it nice and firm. Then you just roll out the turf on top. Always have a complete border running around the outside, then you just lay it down, using a drywall saw (we call it a turf knife) to cut where you need to. It's pretty easy going once you start laying the sod.

08-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Do you use bone meal or starter fertilizer. How long dose it take to do the average city lot. I'm thinkin about 24 man hours eh?

Mike