PDA

View Full Version : Local Company

tiedeman
03-29-2006, 03:42 AM
This is something that I forgot to bring up that people might want to consider for advertising. My last three customers that I have got were not only because of price, but also they told me, "They would rather do business with a local company, compared to one that is out of town."

Put that in your pipe and smoke it http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Steve
03-29-2006, 03:50 AM
I totally agree with this. People like to make connections especially with services where a company will be on their property.

You want to know who is on your property taking care of your yard.

Ned
03-29-2006, 04:21 AM
I too always target locally, first and foremost.

Many people think that Independent or Small Studio graphic designers get most of their jobs online. This is far from true. I advertise online, I even get referrals from all around North America, but I expect to get my work locally.

I remember one potential client in L.A. who had called me from a word-of-mouth referral, and was quite shocked to learn that I was all the way up in Canada, and not in a SoCal suburb (to account for the strange area code). Unfortunately, he had called me at just the wrong time, when I wasn't able to work for the rest of the month.

It's funny that people think with the strength of the internet these days, that graphic design is an internet-based business. Which the amount of cut-rate bargain-basement designers being outsourced from India and the likes, people are becoming more and more driven to find a local studio to deal with!

Steve
03-29-2006, 09:47 AM
That is fascinating insight Ned. I guess the internet has basically allowed anyone to offer graphic design services online. But quality and talent will never be ubiquitous.
Once someone finds a talented designer, I would think they would tend to stay with them over the long haul.

ritchiem
03-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Oddly enough I have had 3 local clients and over 40 from the States, 2 from England and 1 from Australia.

I am from Ontario, Canada. And word of mouth advertising via the web surprised even me.

LOL, the only bad thing about it is the time zones.... I once had a guy call me at 1:00am looking to have a website designed.

Steve
03-30-2006, 09:22 AM
HAHAHAH yea that is something else http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

It's amazing who you can reach!