PDA

View Full Version : New Business, Big Hopes

HilgendorfOutdoorServices
07-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi everyone I've been researching a lawn care, landscaping, and general services company in my eastern Iowa area lately. I recently decided to fill the papers out, get some marketing material done, and start to promote my business in the area here. After I had been doin my homework for a while I found this site and these webisodes and decided to join...my setup currently is a new: Toro Walk Behind Mower, Stihl Trimmer, Pressure Washer, Spreader, Tampers, Shovels, Rakes, Ladders, Drills, Sledges, etc.....2008 F150 STX, and some past lawn and landscaping experience. I am a full time Design Draftsman for Nestle Purina company and have pursued this business as a personal side thing with hopes of seeing where I can take it. SO, I just want to say hi to everyone and I'll be on the forums!

Steve
07-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi HilgendorfOutdoorServices,

Welcome to our forum! Can you explain to us your thought process of what goes on in your mind when you are sitting there as a draftsman at your fulltime job. Why lawn care? Why do you want to run your own business? What is pushing you to change things like this in your life?

I bet others reading this are sitting on the fence not able to act and here you are acting so you are way ahead of the game.

07-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Well I am 22 right now. I have done the mechanical industry thing since I got out of high school and some parts I like, some I dont. The biggest factor I have come to hate is reporting to an office day after day, opening the same program day after day, and collaborating with the SAME people...the "daily routine" stresses me out to the point where I wanted to pursue something that wasnt this at all. I have always helped people on cutting grass and landscaping when in high school and I liked doing that. I pursued starting it on my own mainly because I have a mortgage and a truck payment and all the other crap that comes along with that so I could not justify going to work for someone else doing this stuff for the pay would just not cut it. I do plan to stay at my current career and just see where I can take the new business here. Ive been hitting the flyers and the business cards hard and have gotten back some good response for only goin out there for a week. My first job is scheduled for this Wednesday just about a mile from my house so Im content.

Steve
07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Very interesting!

What kinds of things have you been doing to network in your community to promote your business? Either through friends, family or associates?

07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Well I have a decent amount of family that lives in my area so when people see my last name on a flyer, that alone I think gets to catching their eye since it is a well known name....I am a good people person and will do what I can to please a customers needs...I make sure to look professional and stay organized.

I believe I have a good marketing trick that Im not sure ive seen on here...probably because its not a real common thing, but it works guaranteed. My mother owns her own hair salon...she has big mirrors that sit at the counter that people look in to when they are gettin their hair cut. Placing a flyer up in the top corner at reading level somewhere on that mirror gets them to look at it and bring something up to the hair stylist(my mom) and then she fills them in...gives them a card, and so on...she has lots of customers and lots of them considered elderly to where they dont want to or cant do the vigorous lawn work anymore, or they know someone that needs service...its set up perfect cause they have to look at the mirror and its automatic to just look at stuff up there that is posted and read it, and when ur flyer is the only thing up on the mirror, ur good to go!

Steve
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
That is interesting!

Have you considered having your mom hand out like lawn care gift cards? $10 off lawn care or maybe 10% off?

Then you could market your mom's business along with yours. Something like get your grass cut and your hair cut!

Have coupons for both!

That could really grab attention and help you both out!