PDA

View Full Version : Networking Really Works

tiedeman
03-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Another little hint that I have learned a lot this past week alone: *Get out there and network with local businesses.

I had two phone calls just today because a local business guy, even though he does not use my services, recommended me to customers. *

Then I actually had one guy track me down around town for I could help him out with his lawn. *He said that the local hardware store (my buddys store) recommended me. *

Amazing what a little networking can do.

Steve
03-30-2006, 01:11 AM
You know what would really be neat? What if you hosted a business owners night somewhere? Like a gathering of business owners once in a while to meet each other and hang out? Like at a restaurant or bar or bowling alley etc?

You could really use it as a way to reach out to more business owners.

tiedeman
03-30-2006, 01:13 AM
Actually, they currently have something similar to that with the local chamber...it's like a referral over breakfast thing. *It's where you come and network. *I was thinkining about doing it, the only problem is, it costs you $50 a month per meeting, and you only meet one hour a week, and if you miss two meetings, you are kicked out

Steve
03-30-2006, 01:19 AM
I am all for networking but what I have seen at least with local area chambers of commerce is that there isn't really a fun bond with them.

If you did something informal as it may be, it could be a lot of fun. Plus you would be the leader of it and everyone would think you are the go to guy.

tiedeman
03-30-2006, 01:23 AM
That is true. I will not be renewing with my local chamber again at the end of the year. They have dropped the ball so many times. All they concentrate on is the businesses in the downtown area.

My buddy (The Ace Hardware guy) and I, along with a few others have thought about forming our own chamber business, but that one now is not doing anything at all. If you are not in the downtown area they do not put you in press releases, you get your newsletters and mailings a week late, they purposely leave you off certain announcements, or they don't even invite you to things. It's horrible

Steve
03-30-2006, 01:29 AM
This would be a great opportunity for you to meet people and then possible even do projects for your community.
When you know other business owners, you can get things done.
Could you come up with a list of fun things to do in the area and change it once a month? It could be a lot of fun and worthwhile.