PDA

View Full Version : AMW Graphics Question

Steve
03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi AMW Graphics,

You had said in your other post you were involved with landscaping in the past.

Could you tell us about your experience in the green industry and why you decided to get out of it?

Also why did you choose to get into the sign industry?

How are the two fields similar or different?

AMW Graphics
03-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Well we used to do lawn care, landscaping, pressure cleaning, & snow. To make a real long story short, still have the pressure cleaning & snow. the pressure cleaning is now its own biz. (www.AmwPressure.com), set that up a few years ago. the "snow" side of the lawn care biz. is still going, but mainly due to contracts, and prev. obligations. this is going to be our last year with the snow, unless our customers talk us into it...but i dont see that happening..if anything we would just sub the stuff out. so the snow equipment will be for sale soon.

Now for the sign biz. I got sick of paying to get my stuff lettered....more or less the 1st biz. name i used (with the lawn biz.) i had paid to have vinyl put on 2 trucks, 1 trailer.. then i got a partner about a 2 years in...changed the name to some thing dif. and had the vinyl removed..new name & info installed...then 1 yr. later my partner had some issues and didnt realy understand how a biz. works...(which is a whole dif. LONG story..) got in a fight, mainly verbal..and ended up having to change the name AGIAN...so after that I decided to get into the sign biz. Little did i know that ZTR mowers are cheaper then a lot of sign equipment...or i might have done things dif.

the reasons we stoped the lawn/landscape are almost endless..
but here are a few of the "big" ones..

Health - the mowers, blowers, whips, ect. where causing some med. issues to be worse for me.

Family - worked WAY too much, still do but its dif. .. I have a wife, *an 11 yr. old daughter, and 1 on the way (june).

The market - in 1 season we lost about 25 customers to the "$10 per cut flyer" in $30-$40 areas..

Customers - Had a few realy good commercial customers that died, sold to new owners, moved, ect.
and there are lots of little reasons to..

I miss it some, nothing better then the smell of fresh cut grass in the morning...and then you get paid for it on top of it!..lol Some times i bug a few people to let me go work for the day just for "fun" .

that is the "SHORT" story..

(hope this all made sence to you..)

Steve
03-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Great Story!

I was just thinking that I remembered an AMW truck from last year. I found the pic here. Was this yours?

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/uploads/post-1-00836-amw_truck_1_gf.gif

AMW Graphics
03-25-2006, 12:04 AM
yes sir ..
that would be us..

Steve
03-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi AMW Graphics,

You know what would be really neat, showing us some pictures how you make the signs from beginning to end. I know i would like to see this.

AMW Graphics
03-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Ok, I will see what i can do.
Give me a day or two and I will come up with something.

AMW Graphics
03-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Here is an example of how we make signs, I know its not very detailed.

Steve
03-30-2006, 12:53 AM
That is so cool! The final product looks so crisp!

I bet having a bunch of those signs can really help improve your business.