PDA

View Full Version : Designing a logo

Steve
07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Sherman wrote me a great letter and I wanted to share it with everyone because I bet others are finding themselves in a similar situation.

He was using excel to create his logo. He said "I did it in XCELL but do not know how to save it as a file i can take to a printer that is compatible, and i am not sure how to clean it up."

I am no expert at this and there are plenty of others on here that are real graphic designers but from what I know is I would make the logo in a graphic program first off. Make it as large as possible too so it will look good when scaled.

Do you have a graphic program you can make it in?

VPS Lawn Care
07-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Sherman wrote me a great letter and I wanted to share it with everyone because I bet others are finding themselves in a similar situation.

He was using excel to create his logo. He said "I did it in XCELL but do not know how to save it as a file i can take to a printer that is compatible, and i am not sure how to clean it up."

I am no expert at this and there are plenty of others on here that are real graphic designers but from what I know is I would make the logo in a graphic program first off. Make it as large as possible too so it will look good when scaled.

Do you have a graphic program you can make it in?
Hey steve wish i did,but i appreciate ya trying to help, i guess i will wait on it , from what i have seen they are costly and cant't swing one at this time. thanks for the help though, and when i get something figured out i will post it.

Steve
07-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Here is a way to keep things cheap.

Go to this link and look through the hundreds of free lawn care business logos

http://www.gophergraphics.com/index.cgi?page=artists

Download one, edit it and you will be ready to roll!

Show us what you come up with!

VPS Lawn Care
07-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Here is a way to keep things cheap.

Go to this link and look through the hundreds of free lawn care business logos

http://www.gophergraphics.com/index.cgi?page=artists

Download one, edit it and you will be ready to roll!

Show us what you come up with!

Steve here are a couple i came up with. Which one do you think looks best, more professional? i am leaning towards the 2nd one

Steve
07-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh good job! Yea I like the 2nd one too! Very nice work!

How long did it take you to make that?

VPS Lawn Care
07-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Oh good job! Yea I like the 2nd one too! Very nice work!

How long did it take you to make that?

After alot of tweeking i would guess about 2 hours. Gunna have it for the long haul, ya have to like it, ya know...lol

Steve
07-03-2008, 01:42 AM
I like it when a logo can be kept simple. Are you going to be getting this on your truck or trailer or anything like that?

VPS Lawn Care
07-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I like it when a logo can be kept simple. Are you going to be getting this on your truck or trailer or anything like that?

Yes, i just ordered 4 decals 4 door magnets, 4 window decals new buiss cards, and 5000 door hangers, all with the logo and name on it.one thing is though all my friends and family asked me why i put LAWN CARE under the logo in lg form and Volusia Property Services small form under that. I told them my thought behind it is, the main thing i want people to see as soon as they glance at my sign on the truck and trailer is that i am in the lawn buiss. so then if thats what they need they will look for name and number on the sign. if not like this and more typical, i think people dont even read the signs unless they are really looking or just curious to see what co it is.

Little's
07-03-2008, 05:06 PM
one thing is though all my friends and family asked me why i put LAWN CARE under the logo in lg form and Volusia Property Services small form under that. I told them my thought behind it is, the main thing i want people to see as soon as they glance at my sign on the truck and trailer is that i am in the lawn buiss. so then if thats what they need they will look for name and number on the sign. if not like this and more typical, i think people dont even read the signs unless they are really looking or just curious to see what co it is.

That is logical and will work just fine I'm sure. I also like the second image. Looks good.

musician/lawnman
07-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Sherman,

I can't believe non of the graphic artists on here have chimmed in here yet but if you are hell bent on the do it yourself method... Check this out. There is a program called mylogomaker. I bought the full version at staples for less than $50 as I recall (I think was closer to $35) but they have an online version you can design, view, & then buy your image.
http://www.logomaker.com/?source=2.1484.2

Hope that helps some!
-Chuck

Steve
07-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I can't wait to see how your marketing material comes out!

Plan-It Graphics
07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I am going to attempt to address this matter as clear as I can and hopefully its not too confusing....
Using programs like "excel"(which should never really be used for graphics) or MS Word, MS Paint etc is that they are not in high enough resolution. Programs such ar Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop are some of the more widely accepted programs for the graphics industry.

The first thing to consider is that most professional printers want your design in 300dpi(minimum), most programs such as the ones above are done in 72dpi. For example, if you wanted to use a logo on a marketing piece that was 4"x4" in 300dpi the logo would have to be at least 1200x1200 pixels. Anything smaller than that would lose image quality when enlarged.The same applies to images. If you found an image online, that you copy and pasted, it MUST be large enough. Always remember that your computer screen on most programs is showing you 72dpi, so even though it might look like a 4"x6" image that you can use on your postcard, it really needs to be approx. 4.5 times that size.

If your logo was created in "Vector" format this allows the image to be enlarged to any size with no loss of image quality.

Hope this clears some things up, there is more to it n some cases, but this should answer some questions.

Bob

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/jetskibob1/footer.gif

Steve
07-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks Bob, that is helpful!