PDA

View Full Version : Hello !

TDC
07-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi all,

I'm a podcaster (I do a podcast about classic muscle cars) and was digging around on iTunes and found GopherHaul. I'm really enjoying the shows and there's a lot of info.

A little back story, my Father was a Fireman for 25 years, and between 1984-1987 he ran a lawn service, I remember his cars said he was a "Horticultural Consultant".

Anywho, he started out by selling his 1969 Camaro, and bought a new 84 Chevy pickup, a used Toro Groundsmaster 52", a Toro commercial self propelled 2-stroke (they were brand new then), leaf blower, and new basic (bump feed) string trimmer (I still use it to this day on my lawn)....

He got a few residential jobs, and then he landed a condo complex. He and I would hit it early in the morning (I was 14 at the time), and he mowed while I used the push mower to "trim". I basically ran through along the buildings & around trees, so he could fly through using the 52. Then as soon as I was finished using the trimming mower, we broke for lunch, and then when we got back I used the string trimmer the rest of the day. By the time I was finishing up, my Father would be behind me with the leaf blower, blowing off the areas that raising the deck on the 52 wouldn't clear.

The complex asked him to trim the trees, bushes, & edge the walkways. This was not in the mow contract, and we would do this as needed, I don't know what the agreement was. I do know this, I HATED it. It was a lot of waiting, then picking up bits and chunks, and raking. I actually preferred the string trimmer.

Well, when I turned 16 and could get a regular job, I did, and my Father would grab me early in the morning on days he needed help. This was a turning point for him because he was at the point in his business when it was time to expand, or hang it up.

He chose to sell the business.

I got into computers and the whole sitting on my butt in front of a computer and I've lost so many jobs over the years (dot bombs) that I thought very seriously about getting back into cutting again.

My wife is totally against it because she's scared, and thinks it will fail so why bother.

I've also noticed that 90% of the lawn care business is made up of a Mexican workforce. The big companies here in St. Louis like "Top Care" and "Brickman" are out there in force. I don't know if any of you have these types of operations (but I'm sure some of you do) and how do you complete?

I would love to get a couple big jobs, and when I mean big I mean like an office park and neighborhood common ground areas where there is so much grass, that you're cutting all day at one location.

The other thing I think about is winter work. I've heard, but don't know for sure, but what I hear is that plowing flat out destroys a truck. Is this true?

Also, since I've been away so long, WTF is up with all the ZTR's zipping around like they're in the Indy 500? Do those things REALLY do a quality job while ripping along at almost 10MPH?

Is this something to look into? I'm looking to replace a $45k/yr salary by cutting, is this even realistic?

BTW, Steve, I love the show, btw if the people you're skype'ing with are somewhat computer savvy, have them set up their computer with an audio application & record their side of the skype conversation. Then, they compress it to an MP3 file, and send it to you. Then you edit all of it together and it will sound like you're all in one studio.

Scott
:)

Steve
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi Scott,

WOW What an awesome introduction! You totally rock! Good for you with all this going on!

Also, since I've been away so long, WTF is up with all the ZTR's zipping around like they're in the Indy 500? Do those things REALLY do a quality job while ripping along at almost 10MPH?

No, LOL just because they can go fast doesn't mean they should be driven fast hahahaha.

Is this something to look into? I'm looking to replace a $45k/yr salary by cutting, is this even realistic?

Sure!

BTW, Steve, I love the show, btw if the people you're skype'ing with are somewhat computer savvy, have them set up their computer with an audio application & record their side of the skype conversation. Then, they compress it to an MP3 file, and send it to you. Then you edit all of it together and it will sound like you're all in one studio.

You are totally right about this. The technical side of the podcast has been kind of an after thought so far. It was just like, lets get this done and put out on the web and make it better the next time.

Have you thought about taking your love of hot rods and lawn care and mixing them together?

Call it Hot Rod Lawn Care! Why not! It would create a theme that would really help you stand out. Make your website a 50's style website. Take some pictures of you in a hotrod with your hair greased back and some smokes in your short sleeve shirt, rolled back.

This could really rock! Put flame jobs on your mowers and your truck and trailer. Put a fake hood scoop on your trucks hood with chrome rims!

What is stopping you now from picking up small jobs and getting the gears turning?