PDA

View Full Version : Overgrown mutant lawn I tackled yesterday

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Check this out.... Yes, in the 2nd picture..... that is my mower sitting in the front lawn to give you a height reference. You can only see the top of the seat & roll bar. hehe This thing was waist high, it was at my shoulders while sitting on the mower. Here's some before & afters.

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 09:31 AM
By the way... that was mulching it, not bagging it! Not bad huh?

VPS Lawn Care
06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey music lawnman, you dance funny hehe....Good job man, looks great!

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Hey music lawnman, you dance funny hehe....Good job man, looks great!

I think that's up there for the member of the month thing? I didn't put it there so idunno?

Steve
06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Wow! Those are some great pictures. What was the deal with that house? Was it a foreclosure? Why was the grass so high?

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 10:45 AM
A rental that was vacant for a while apparently. They just listed it with one of the property management companies I do work for & they told the owner if they wanted to get a tenant in there it's gotta look presentable. I get alot of these this time of year. $$$$

Steve
06-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Isn't it amazing that these beautiful houses are out there and just sitting there?

You gotta wonder if the lawn is falling into disrepair, how is the rest of the house doing?

What is your view of what property management companies do versus what a lawn care business does? Do you think its something you would like to offer in the future?

Or would you ever like to get into real estate in the future and rent out homes yourself?

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 08:50 PM
I think property management might be a PIA but I would love to have the capitol to play in real estate. I think I could do very well with it. But I gotta build the wealth 1st to play in the big leagues later!

Steve
06-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, I do wonder. Say you offered 'property management' services, could you somehow perform them for a % of ownership of a home that was rented?

You don't need capital when you can leverage other things, like your skill set and business infrastructure.

Maybe this could spark some ideas.

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Not sure I follow you here....
A percentage of ownership? Like ok I'll manage it but I get 10% when you eventually sell?

UniversityLandscapers
06-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Nice work on that...what type of turf do you guys have down there? With the bluegrass/ryegrass we have here, every lawn you cut that's over 3" ends up looking brown and ****ty since the base of the plant is basically dead at that point. It looks so clean considering it was mulched.

musician/lawnman
06-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Thanks Dave,
We have mostly Bahai (average builder grade for the area) or St. Augustine, then variations of the latter... Floritam blends etc.
We see Zoacia (if I spelled that right?) every now & then. Rye grass isn't real common but I've seen it here & there.
We are getting so much rain right now I think if the grass was under a tent it could suck enough moisture to live out of the air.... I have 1 customer with a mixed lawn that gets it fertilized by trugreen, It's so thick after 7 days I have to cut it making 5-6 passes & it still doesn't look as good as that lawn did & it was waist high. His lawn is sooooo thick & healthy it's sick!

clarklandscaping
07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Im interested in what you charged to do this lawn.

Little's
07-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Might be something to look into, but here in CA. you have to have a real estate lic. in order to run a property management business. Not sure if ti is the same elsewhere.

Lukacs Property Maintenance
07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
did you find any dead bodys. thats really high grass. did you do any weedeatin first?

musician/lawnman
07-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Nope, POWER PLOWED IT. (just mowed the sh!t over) :eek:
I mowed this one, then did all the line trimming/edging, blew the clippings into the middle of the lawn off the concrete, mowed that again (to mulch it up), then blew it off again. I would have trimmed the edges first but I wasn't walking thru that crap. Could be snakes, or gators, or.... bodies in there. lol

Steve
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
LOL I love that expression. Power Plowed it HAHHAHA :D

musician/lawnman
07-09-2008, 10:50 PM
LOL I love that expression. Power Plowed it HAHHAHA :D

Well it fits right?
I did another one today, I'll try to upload & post the pics maybe tomorrow.

UniversityLandscapers
07-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I cut the grass at a Swiss Chalet today...bout two feet long, pretty brutal. Mowing lawns like that makes me wish I had a riding mower, which makes me want to but one soon.

Steve
07-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Dave,

Can you take some photos of these cabins? I'd love to see some of the architecture of them.

UniversityLandscapers
07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Oh...haha. Swiss Chalet is a chain of chicken restaurants in Canada.

musician/lawnman
07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Here's another mess cleaned up.

Steve
07-11-2008, 05:13 AM
Very nice! How long was that grass? How long did it take to mow?

musician/lawnman
07-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Was around 2 feet. Took about an hour & then 15 min or so trimming the bushes & cleaning that up.