PDA

View Full Version : Edging Problem

Totally Green
06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
When we edge, a lot of dirt is thrown onto the sidewalk or driveway. We don't like blowing everything into the street so we normally blow it into one area and sweep/bag it. This is costing a lot of time. We are considering a vacuum but don't know if it can be used on dirt. If it can be used on dirt, does anyone recommend a certain model? Hope someone can give me some advice.

clarklandscaping
06-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Try raising the wheel on your edger and try not to plunge the blade so deep into the soil. You only need the blade to just touch the dirt as its spinning. As a result you will also find that you can no longer use the concrete as a guide but this takes no time to get used to. Hope it works out for you.

P.S.
Also you will find that your edger blades will last you a little longer than you were previously used to.

Totally Green
06-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks Shane

Steve
06-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Let us know if that helps!

I'd love to see some before and after pictures of how this new technique effects the cleanup.

You could show one picture of a lawn you didn't do this with and another picture of a lawn you did do this with.

UniversityLandscapers
06-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I often kick up dirt when I edge, although I use a string trimmer, so probably not nearly as much. I blow everything back onto the lawn, unless it is along the street curb, then I blow it up against the curb so that some of it flies over and the rest just sits there. Usually, there are cars parked on most streets though, so I ignore the stuff that goes onto the road.