PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Lighting Business

Totally Green
06-27-2008, 10:36 AM
I intend to try holiday decorating as a Fall and Winter income source. Where can I find good information on tools, supplies and techniques for operating this type of buiness?

Steve
06-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi Gary,

I just did a search for holiday lighting and there are a bunch of older posts on this. What got you into thinking to offer this service?

Also, will you be offering outdoor decorations for different holidays, say for instance like halloween?

What's your plan?

Steve
06-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Here is a quote from another post "Most of our contracts are between $300 and $800," he says, but a few, where thousands and thousands of lights are used and professional displays are installed, cost homeowners as much as $15,000 to $20,000 and more.

"You can get a nice setup from between $800 and $1,200," he says, showing off a photo of his favorite job, which is understated, but arranged in perfect lines on bushes and along a garlanded archway at the front of a home."

We often talk about doing things to gain media attention. How about putting a display together like this one at your house? I bet you would get people talking all around your area and even make it into the newspaper.

Be outrageous with your displays and you will get attention that can translate into more business for you.

What do you think about this?

Totally Green
06-30-2008, 10:54 AM
I ordered a lawn care buiness book from another company and they recommended holiday lighting. As for which holiday's we would deal with, I will probably keep things minimal for the first year. I read some of the posts and I think the concern about liability is a good one. That's part of the reason I'd like to find a good book. I want to learn the proper way to install and distribute the lights as to minimize the chances of overload or some other unforseen disaster.

Steve
06-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I haven't checked out the newer L.E.D. lights yet but I am thinking they must use a lot less power which could make it easier for you.

If overloading circuits is making you pause due to potential problems, you could do a lot of other outdoor decorations that didn't include lighting.

Halloween, Thanksgiving. They are all great times to offer outdoor decorations without lights.

Totally Green
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
I have done some research on LED lights. You're right. They do use less power and with a life span of about 100,000 hours, I think this would be my choice. As for liability, I don't want fear to limit me to just yard art. Have you had any experience with liability insurance, workers comp, etcetera, in the lawn care business. The liability and damage insurance for my store (no workers comp) is a little over $1100 a year. When would you think a startup lawn care company should get coverage? I'm worried that we really need it but are not financially ready for that added expense.