PDA

View Full Version : Commercial vs. Residential

musician/lawnman
06-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Hey gang,

I have built my business about 95% residential clients and have done a few big commercial bids in the past week or so (still no word on if I got them or not). But to be honest I kinda hope I don't get them & may turn them down if I do. Seems to me everybody out there wants the big commercial jobs so bad that it's so cut throat it's not worth it.

Say for example there is a 5 acre commercial property, everybody wants that big contract so bad that the going rate seems to be $9,000-$10,000 a year. If you break it down it's much lower margins thatn the already tight residential market!? My average residential area lot is 10,000 SF. So in terms of square footage 5 acres is equal to aprox. 22 residential lots. What I make in going out & servicing 22 lawns in day (which is about what I do daily) is nearly what these contracts pay per month!?

So I ask the guys who focus on commercial properties..... what gives?
If I can go out with 1 helper & in a day (16 total labor hours) make almost as much on residentials as a big commercial property pays for a month(that will take 2 guys a half a day 4 times a month=2 days=32 total labor hours) Why the hell does anyone do it? If you were just starting out & needed the work I could see it, but the companies that focus towards this are usually well established.... I just don't get it? I can't get passed that what I get for 22 residentials monthly is over a grand more per month than these places are paying for the same square footage. I'm not hurting for work by any means (thank god) and I don't "need" these jobs. I got calls from my advertising so I went & bid them, what the heck right? I looked at them several ways.... by sq footage, by time, accounted for the fact that one big account means less travel, fuel, even oil changes & brakes.... Still don't see it. I bid the jobs a decent bit over what they are currently paying but still less than what I think it's worth to me really so as I said earlier.... I'm not gonna cry either way over these. I just hope maybe somebody can help shed a little light as to maybe a big advantage I'm not seeing here? I consider myself more intelligent than the average idiot but maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong angle? Thanks in advance. Sorry to be so long winded.

Little's
06-27-2008, 12:21 AM
The benefits I could see are small in size, but add up. Like for instance you said less gas, travel time. But also less people to deal with (sometimes customers can take up a ton of your time chatting, or this and that), 1 bill instead of 20. Less paper work, less stamps. I think you do more in a day than most other companies, so they may be sevicing 10 residentials in a day, so half a day job would only replace 5 of them instead of your 10 or 12. So the pay seems better for them.

UniversityLandscapers
06-27-2008, 12:37 AM
What I like about commercial jobs is you can usually quote a bit higher, since the person taking bids for the job isn't the one paying you. They don't care what you charge, so they're not going to be offended if you bill them a bit higher. I've just taken on 3 commercial accounts, 2 at $300/month and one at $350/month. All I have to do is cut the grass twice a month (none of them take over 2 hours) and do a bit of weeding/other stuff maybe once every two months. It's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

musician/lawnman
06-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Little's,

Yeah, I see what you are saying, but by gaining one big account & adding a large income, you also risk losing that one account all of a sudden. In this case that account would nessesitate me purchasing a 2nd mower too. So I'd spend more on the machine than I'd make off the account this year. Granted I could take on more accounts like it. But I don't think I realy want to. I'm not having any trouble picking up more & more residential accounts and as I continue to do so they are getting inevitably closer & closer to each other, making me even more efficient as my travel time & distance bettween each one gets less. We do alot of lawns yes, but I do a nice job (not a mow & go). I don't miss anything and I treat each lawn like I would want my own done. This is gaining me huge refferals & a great reputation. I guess my situation maybe different in the number of accounts I can service per day, but if you only service 10 res. a day... than these big accounts would take you all day.... maybe smaller machines? You get my point either way it's not apples to apples....

Dave,
The accounts you have seem good & that's a different story, the mid sized store front or condo accounts seem to pay comparable, the huge developements, hoa's, church grounds, medical complexes don't seem to pay the same here. It's like they get a massive discount for the volume of work? (seems to me about 40% off). That kind of dis**** really skeews the dollars per hour ratio for me ya know what I mean?

Thank you guys for your replys here

Steve
06-27-2008, 08:40 AM
I think one of the factors that should be taken into consideration is the direction you want to take your business.

Have you thought about how big you would like to take your business? Then how will you fuel it? Would you fuel it with commercial jobs as you grow?

All Aspects Landscaping
06-27-2008, 09:40 AM
well guys... here is my .02...
residential is the way to go... were in south jersey, where every pickup truck has a mower in the back... they go after these small commercial properties cause the misconception is that they pay better... might have been so in the past, but companies now are hiring people to cut costs... so they are going thru contracts with a fine tooth comb. With residential, as you as you have a good reputation, if you fall within $5 dollars of all the other bids, youre gonna get the job. i recently combined my crews and was able to downsize my cutting crew to three guys... they are cutting... and no BS... upwards of $8,000.00 a week... that right... over 180 accounts, and my foreman just called and said they are done for the week... 10:30 on friday morning. With those numbers, I cannot see why id go underbid myself on a commercial property... in fact, all this recession BS, I just gave all my guys a $1.00/hr raise across the board. Its all about efficiency with residential. My guys dont speak with the customer unless they have an issue that needs immediate attention, otherwise they call the office. And to address the issue of billing, since we've switched to automated billing, we bill out over $3500.00 of weekly lawn service every sunday. Payroll capital is never an issue now. And it cost a little less than invoicing with paper and stamps. My advice is to keep tightening your routes and know you limits... take a map of the area that you do work in and created boundaries... and you will make money!!!!

Gentlemen, we are in a different age now... the computer age... everyone is online with a website and talking about going green... time to stop talkin and start doing... especially with the industry we are in.

and be sure to check out our forum for our clothing line!!

www.thefriction.com/forum

musician/lawnman
06-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Thank you Jamie! I was seriously starting to wonder if I had lost my mind? Or if I was the only one to notice this trend in the market?
Nice to hear someone else has crunched the numbers & came up with a similar conclusion. Well, I spoke to one of the administrators at one of the commercial jobs I bid today, seems they can't make a decision to award the contract to anyone for 2 weeks when they have a board meeting, but the lawn will need service next week. I offered to cut it the once or twice at a per cut rate & said it would give them an opportunity to experiance the quality of my work & for me to see how long the job takes me, at that point I explained, once I've done it a time or 2 I might be able to adjust my bid in their favor if it takes me less time than anticipated. The idea seemed we recieved, more like Ias doing them a huge favor by being willing to do so. So I think I'll have a chance to check it out hand on (this one at least) first & it'll get my foot in the door. So we'll see.

Steve
06-27-2008, 09:46 PM
That is fantastic! Great idea Chuck.

How long do you feel it will take you to service this property?

What % capacity do you feel you are working at now? Can you still fit in more weekly customers or are you reaching a point where you would have to form another crew?

musician/lawnman
06-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I belive it will take about 4 1/2-5 hours to service it, well see right?

With my current crew (me & one employee) with our current equipment, I believe I am now at about 98% of what we can do weekly. This week was insane. Worked a full week, dropped my help off at the end of the day & did a few more solo, Can't afford all that overtime! I have about 7 to go do tommorow solo. Which isn't much, but considering I schedual to get my lawns done mon-thurs, this week bettween rain delays, new lawns that we're CRAZY overgrown & breakdowns.... (broke a belt, no doubt due to the tall lawns, & today had a blade seized on.... tall friggen lawns! had to have an auto shop use an impact to remove it) we ran over into a full day friday & as I said above .... saturday too.

Hoping to add a 2nd machine to my arsenal & that should boost efficiency, if it's not enough I'll add a 3rd guy to my crew. That should do it. More than that I don't want to grow. Growing too fast is no good either like we've spoken about earlier. The other thing I may do if it's too much is drop all my per cut accounts to make room for the more steady, reliable, annual service accounts. I anticipate I'm going to have to do that shortly anyway.

If I can I'd like to get through this season running one truck, one crew. At our current growth rates I figure next spring I may buy another little truck & trailer, let a crew handle most of the work with that rig, & free me up to service some of the higher end accounts, do estimates, sales, & pop up to check on them at random. I'll run solo so that my employees will never know where I am or when I'll show up to check on them. My father always had issues, catching employees doing side work for cash on the clock with his equipment. I remember one time he heard his guys we're doing a lawn across the street from a client of his, but they never reported it to him. So he waited patiently biting his tongue.... the next week he asked me to take a ride with him, we showed up while they were doing the side job & my father lost it... hehe. He Fired these 2 guys, had em remove the company shirts off their backs & told me to drive the other truck & trailer home. I was like what do you mean dad? He looked at em & said "you azzholes better get f*ckin walking, Don't you even look at me you peices of sh!t" (it was literally like 8 miles from anywhere & pre-cell phones).
He was pissed off..... The way he handled it still makes me laugh though.

Steve
06-28-2008, 04:33 AM
Chuck,

As always, you have great insight and you sparked a lot of thoughts in me as I read your post.

Here are some of my thoughts on this.

If you were to add more crews, could you think of them as franchises? Where you want them to work their butts off to make as much as they can to make more money for themselves and for you.

I don't hear too many other lawn care business owners doing this and I do wonder why.

Could you pay the crew a salary and then split 50% of the profit with them. Or maybe you could pay them flat out 50% of the profits without a salary to each of them with the crew leader getting a higher %. Kind of like how the fishermen get paid in the TV Show 'Deadliest Catch.'

If you were to work the figures, how would that come out for them? Good or bad? I don't know for sure. Maybe you would need to have a base salary of something.

Then what you are doing is harnessing their energy and creativity as you provide for them an infrastructure to perform it from within. They won't have to start up a business of their own. They will in a sense have the benefits of running a business and more because you handle all the behind the scenes, office stuff.

On top of all that, you let each employee know that you will pay them $x amount of dollars if they catch another employee stealing from the company with side jobs. Maybe make the number big, like $500? Something that you hope you never have to pay out, but it would make the other employees nervous so they wouldn't try to all steal from you. Then if an employee catches a crew chief doing side jobs, the crew chief gets fired and they will get the job, provisional if they can handle it.

This should help you keep to a minimum the need to have to watch over everyone all the time. And free your time up to do other more important things to help the business grow. You could also implement a gps tracking device for the vehicles so you could always check and see if they were where they were supposed to be.

Then, you would have the time to build up your persona as the go to guy in your community for lawn care and landscaping needs. You could become the green thumb ambassador for the area you service. This would bring you in a tremendous amount of new work. Think of yourself as a Dave Thomas of Wendy's. You and your image sells the business while your staff performs the service.

Then you are working on your business, not in it.

What's your thoughts on that?

UniversityLandscapers
06-29-2008, 02:40 AM
I work in a similar situation to the "franchise" idea that you were talking about. The owner of our company, who oversees all the landscape installation, gives me the equipment etc. and then I work on my own managing the "landscape maintenance" portion of our company. In turn, I take 60% of the profit as my pay. There are some legal issues though, which we are trying to legitimize this year. In reality, I am considered a "contractor" to University Landscapers, which would make me self employed. However, if I am a contractor, then I am not covered by our Worker's Compensation coverage. So last year, he paid me an hourly wage, then adjusted the number of hours to work out how much I made.

We're trying to figure out how to make it more "legal" this year, and we think we may be able to include me in our WCB coverage as a contractor, but we're still waiting for some paperwork from Revenue Canada.

The main thing I'm getting at here, is that you have to be careful how you organize these sub-units to make sure that it is done properly within the law.

Steve
06-29-2008, 02:44 AM
Dave,

That is fascinating! I do believe it is possible to make this work. You can pay a salary and then offer a % of profits.

Now tell me this, if you were to start your lawn care business tomorrow and plan it out where you paid your staff a salary and a % of profits, how much profit would you share with them?

What would work best and be ideal for you, to keep the employees honest and happy and what would keep them to want to push for more company growth?

Can you share with us what your ideal situation would be?

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Steve,

Good Ideas & definately food for thought. I suppose it could work like that, I'd have to crunch the numbers pretty hard to see how it might play out & check different scenarios. You'd almost have to make it a base + bonus type situation.

Like years back I ran (was the general manager) an independant auto repair & maintenence facility.... The owner was NEVER there. Maybe once a month he'd pop up to check on things & say hello, In return I'd make a (pretty good) salary + 10% of the net at the end of each month. By doing so It kept me motivated to avoid breakage, screw ups, over or under orders for parts would cost you either too much in parts or you'd lose business by not having parts ready to go.... So I ran a tight ship. But after 2 years I had been growing his business significantly from where it was gained a good reputation.... He got real greedy & wanted more & more.....He set the goals for me so high I never could have hit them without screwing people over. I reminded him how I had turned his store around from a failing business to a thriving shop & now that things are going well & steady the increases he wanted were unrealistic and that I didn't "have to" work for him. I also explained that my salary wasn't enough to make it worth all the hours I was putting in & that if he refused to renegotiate the goals I would be resigning. He refused, I quit. A couple years later he sold the business as the store was no longer profitable.

So similarly you want a set up like that. If you pay the guys a percentage of gross, they won't mention a weird squeak coming from the mower because that means downtime this week & less money for them on friday.... they'd run it til something broke.... If the repairs hit their pockets too, maintenence is cheaper than repairs so you'll hear about potential problems.

Lot's to think about there. But an interesting idea.

Steve
06-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Chuck,

You got a lot of ideas to work with here.

Can you elaborate more on this so we can talk about how it went wrong?

He got real greedy & wanted more & more.....He set the goals for me so high I never could have hit them without screwing people over.

How did the 'goals' work? Was it more than 'salary + 10% of the net at the end of each month?'

Tell us your thoughts on how it went wrong and what you would have done differently to avoid this?

If you pay the guys a percentage of gross, they won't mention a weird squeak coming from the mower because that means downtime this week & less money for them on friday.... they'd run it til something broke.... If the repairs hit their pockets too, maintenence is cheaper than repairs so you'll hear about potential problems.

I agree, ideally you would want it set up where all of this would be factored in so the employees would want to take care of the equipment and make it last as long as possible.

The % bonus could be based on a net possibly? Where it included expenses, so they would want to keep expenses as long as possible. Meaning, you don't want your equipment to break or get stolen because that would take away from your bonus. Is that what you are thinking?

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Where it went wrong? Well, kinda like we may average out our $ per hout to see how we are doing..... A maintenence shop especially on geared towards oil change, trans, radiator services, gear box services, filters etc. Looks at their car count (# of cars coming in) & their ticket avg. When I started there a base oil change was $24.99, $26.74 with taxes & fees. for 6 months before I started the averaged only $8 over oil change in sales. Average ticket just shy of $35.... His goal at the time was $12 over base ($38.74) Within 2 weeks of my getting there & had fired some bad apple employees (attitude issues), hired their replacements, Cleaned up the store, stocked & organized it, & got the ticket average to $45 per car..... a huge change when you are running 40-50 cars a day, 6 days a week. 2 months in he raised the expecations from $38 to $42 avg. but still bonuses the first year there were huge as I always exceeded goals by a mile & the profit was good. Year 2 ticket average goal went up to $46 , then going into year 3 he wanted $50 I think..... plus car count was dropping a bit then due to an economic slump after 9/11 and people were getting a bit more thrifty. He wanted $4 more per car, & a 10% increase in car count for the year in a town that wasn't growing & an economy that was slipping..... I would have had to sell people more work than their car needed to get the ticket average to offset the falling car count (which only leads to pissed off customers & an even more rapidly falling car count) so basically he wanted me not to make my bonuses so he'd have more money. Ungreatful for what I had done for him.... I moved on.

I don't think I could have done anything much different. Was just an *** of an owner who wasn't thinking clearly, blinded by greed.

VPS Lawn Care
06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Lot's of good idea's Steve!, i am pretty new at all this but this insight is great. helps with putting a picture of the direction one could go with an LCO. Even if not using all of those ideas, they could have a great deal of potential....cant wait to hear lawnman's thoughts on it also, for he also is very insightful, and has good ideas, Good use of brain power guy's.

Steve
06-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Yea this is good!

Chuck,

Here is what I am wondering. If the owner had set it up where you got a base salary plus a % of the gross, would you even need to have mandatory goals?

You can only squeeze so much out of each sale and beyond that it will have a negative effect as you saw happen.

Wouldn't you be motivated with getting a % to do the best you could without the mandatory goals?

Then the owner could have opened other shops and had a competition of sorts to show each store what the other was doing.

If you worked at one store and saw that the other had a higher average sale, wouldn't you do all you could to step it up without feeling forced to?

Couldn't this all be implemented into a lawn care business?

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 10:42 AM
We'll the reason for the goals was if you didn't hit them , you didn't qualify for the 10% of the net bonus. So he was making sure it was going to be well profitable enough that he wouldn't really "feel" the impact of paying you a bonus before he'd pay ya one at all.

He did have 6 stores, I don't know if they own any of them anymore?

I guess it would be like telling your lawn crew that they get 10% of the net at the end of the month IF they take a stack of door hangers out & average say 2 new accounts per week throughout the month. If they only get 7 new accounts they are not qualified for any bonus regaurdless of profit or loss.
The whole system was built to be the brass ring kept just out of reach... but I exceeded his highest expectations for years so he just kept moving the ring further & further out.

Steve
06-29-2008, 08:09 PM
It is very interesting to hear.

I guess the question I have about it is this. If you didn't have to hit those goal figures to get your bonus %, do you think you would still try and push growth as much as possible because you knew, the more sales you got, the more you got paid? Or no?

VPS Lawn Care
06-29-2008, 08:12 PM
from what my accountant told me after i asked him about this is that if the employee was calassified as a sales/ serviceman that they can work on commision ( in Florida anyway) and the employee would be covered under the workers comp coverage of the owner....FYI

Steve
06-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Sherman,

What have you taken from this discussion so far? If you were to set up your business to employ multiple crews, what kind of business system would you implement?

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah I would, & did try all the time, the numerical goals were just a way of defining the target. example (to make the numbers simple) 100 cars x $40 ea = $4000 If you got there with 80 cars at a $50 ticket average you still qualified ($4000). If you did 100 cars at an average of $39.95 you just missed your bonus by $5 bucks in sales. Of course they wanted more than 100 cars a month but that was just an example....

Steve
06-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I think all these experiences are going to help you build an awesome lawn care business.

Have you thought about what size you would like to build it? What would be ideal?

musician/lawnman
06-29-2008, 10:11 PM
I have no Idea..... Sky's the limit right now..... I got a phone call tonight at about quater to 5 & was out doing the estimate less than an hour later. I landed an HOA, Mowing common grounds in the development, 1 model & 14 homes, More are being built eventually the development is to have about 300 homes I think. I was introduced to a few of the residents & they are already asking abbout additional trimming & Pruning. Business is friggen BOOMING! Gas prices suck & my bggest issue is I need another machine, a bigger trailer to fit it, & a 3rd guy on the crew. By the way I need those upgrades like ummmm... yesterday. Anyone wanna buy stock in a company & put up some working capitol? hehe

All Aspects Landscaping
06-30-2008, 02:40 AM
i might have to come to florida and show you how its done little man....

musician/lawnman
06-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Little man? :)
Well bring it on pee wee!
haha ya know I'm kidding there, no disrespect intended!
Hell, as much as I think I've got it running efficiently... Something tells me that if you looked over my operation & gave a few pointers, I'd be willing to gamble that by years end they would save me more than the plane fare costs. So Buddie, you name the F'n date! hehe

VPS Lawn Care
06-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Steve, Well a map has many paths, it all depends on the road one chooses to travel. This is the question, how does one choose?
I kinda have an idea i have been working on, and it is based off off something that alot of fast food resturants use called a co-op type of thing. i worked for 15 years in a food dist. buiss. and what they do is a bunch of these owners get togeather and pool some money and the increase thier buying power. kinda thinking what if there was a organization that had a group of members , owners of say 10 or 20 or more got togeather and pooled thier knoledge and had a couple people do all the leg work for power buying, sales, unified billing, and book work, the things that tie us up even when the working day ends and it begins? the could have like a monthly board meeting or something each owner would still own thier own co. but kinda sub out the sales, billing, buying?? This would create a stronger nego pwr with suppliers, and help with more efficent routs for the owners. Kinda like a franchise except the owners all still owned 100 % of each of thier co. and their co. names. Say these people went out and drummed up the work, then based on like territory or ea. acct could go before the board of owners to decide what lco this new cust would work best with for location..well the potential could be unlimited.... just a thought i came up with from reading this thread....any thoughts on this, or other ideas?

All Aspects Landscaping
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
we'll have to talk some shop when i come down there in Jan/Feb... let the kids and ladies swim, and we can "work" while taking in the sights..lol

-PeeWee

Steve
06-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Steve, Well a map has many paths, it all depends on the road one chooses to travel. This is the question, how does one choose?
I kinda have an idea i have been working on, and it is based off off something that alot of fast food resturants use called a co-op type of thing. i worked for 15 years in a food dist. buiss. and what they do is a bunch of these owners get togeather and pool some money and the increase thier buying power. kinda thinking what if there was a organization that had a group of members , owners of say 10 or 20 or more got togeather and pooled thier knoledge and had a couple people do all the leg work for power buying, sales, unified billing, and book work, the things that tie us up even when the working day ends and it begins? the could have like a monthly board meeting or something each owner would still own thier own co. but kinda sub out the sales, billing, buying?? This would create a stronger nego pwr with suppliers, and help with more efficent routs for the owners. Kinda like a franchise except the owners all still owned 100 % of each of thier co. and their co. names. Say these people went out and drummed up the work, then based on like territory or ea. acct could go before the board of owners to decide what lco this new cust would work best with for location..well the potential could be unlimited.... just a thought i came up with from reading this thread....any thoughts on this, or other ideas?

Those are great ideas. I haven't seen a co-op in the lawn care industry as you described it yet. Except maybe a lawn care association, but I think that might be a little different.

Were these fast food restaurants a collection of franchise owners or were they all just independent non franchised facilities?

What other things do you feel you learned from the food distribution business that you have been able to apply to your lawn care business?

VPS Lawn Care
06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Those are great ideas. I haven't seen a co-op in the lawn care industry as you described it yet. Except maybe a lawn care association, but I think that might be a little different.

Were these fast food restaurants a collection of franchise owners or were they all just independent non franchised facilities?

What other things do you feel you learned from the food distribution business that you have been able to apply to your lawn care business?

Well Steve Good Question. The answer is a lot more then i ever thought is useful in this new adventure of mine. One thing is in the old saying every action has a re-action, saying that, in the food buiss if you wanted to make more money you had to become more efficiant in what you did, because there is very little mark up in food from a dist, it's made with volume, it to is very very competitive. This does the same in the lawn care buiss also, you dont increase your price to try and make more because of how competitive it is, and you don't or cant always increase production, take on new accts, to increase your reciveables, you have to work, and spend more wisely, to get that little extra, maybe not more coming in, but you keep more of what does come in if you keep the rope tight. Control with an open mind will lead one to be a little diffrent but more profitable. back to a quote of my Father i used in the forum once b-4 K.I.S.S. "Keep it simple stupid" A simple way of saying that everything does not have to be complicated, Keep an open mind, make guide lines not rules (outside the box) But always pay attention to what works and what dont, find the simple way that produces the best result's, and even when money is tight spend it if it will make you more.

As for the the resturants all were private mom & pop places that just got togeather to increase there power...strength in numbers you know.

musician/lawnman
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, I decided things are just too insane & I needed to bit the bullet, My options were A) buy a bigger trailer & another full sized Zt (new or used) b) keep shopping for that perfect machine used (small enough to fit existing trailer, big enough to be efficient... I haen't seen anything good on ebay or craigslist etc.) or C) buy a new machine that fit the bill, & the existing trailer. So that's what I did, I got a 48" wright Sentar sport w/ a 19 hp kawasaki on it. Stopped buy my shop, picked it out, bought it & loaded it up after work today. Spent this evening reorganizing the trialer to fit everything I could in..... My chainsaws had to go (no room) I gotta mount my spare on the trailer tongue, & I have no clue where I'm putting the garbage can or hand tools (shovels, rakes, pitch fork etc.) but other than that.... I'm good to go. So this week I'll see if the addition of the mower itself helps efficiency. If not, next week I'll add a 3rd guy to my crew.

That's what's up with me. Now you know fellas.

musician/lawnman
07-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Check out the mower I got here:
http://www.wrightmfg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.view&productid=6AD17810-DFD8-C5C0-D2F1BAF51CA6449E

Steve
07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Will you be taking pictures? I'd love to see how you got your trailer set up now too.

Ultimately, why did you choose that mower?

musician/lawnman
07-02-2008, 06:28 AM
I chose it for a few reasons, Compact configuration-the engine is over the deck not behind it, makes for a shorter machine lenthwise.
Nice cut- I've seen the job they do & spoken to other lco, wright owners that were very happy with them.
high blade tip speed - 19,000 fpm for those high lawns (I'm not going to put a mulch kit on this one like I have on my zt, to keep monster growth easier to tackle)
convienence- Same dealer/repair shop as my other mower, showing one shop repeated business will get you in & out faster when things do start to break.
It's got a Seat! - space was limited so most typical zt's wouldn't fit, walkbehinds might have fit but I'm not walking in this heat more than I have to so i'd need a sulky too & a place to put the sulky when I take it of to put the machine on the trailer. This has a motorcycle/jetski style seat that flips up to save space and that makes it nice & easy. The wright standers are nice too & esentially the same machines, but then again you are standing.... so why not take a seat!?

I'll take some shots later & post em hopefully tonight. It's tight in there, real tight. :D but it fits!

musician/lawnman
07-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Will you be taking pictures? I'd love to see how you got your trailer set up now too.

Ultimately, why did you choose that mower?

Here is a few photos I took today, Last night I got the tubes mounted on the front of the trailer to hold all the hand tools to make a little more space & I still haveto mount the spare between them but hopefully I'll get that this weekend.

justin_time
07-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Well I think I found myself a commercial push mower

Check this thing out

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node3295.aspx?nid=62722&pid=82235

:eek: Weight 132lbs

Price :eek: over 1000$

musician/lawnman
07-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Nice! That does seem expensive for a 21" machine, then again I've never priced them as I won't walk.... I ride either on the mower, or turn the job down & ride in the truck :). Too hot for that crap here brother!
What do ya think of my new toy Justin?

justin_time
07-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Looks pretty nice... I can't wait to get my own Zero turn

Yeah my mower is a bit high but it's commercial made

Steve
07-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Nice mower! When you first said it had a seat I was wondering how it had a seat. I thought it was a stander but now I see!

How comfortable is that? I see it looks like it has a heavy duty spring there.

musician/lawnman
07-04-2008, 05:55 AM
It's not bad really. I thought it might be at first but I still figured a not so comfortable sitting position is better than hoofing it. But it's cool. Completely different machine than a typical zt. Most zt's the operator is in front of the turning point. This you are just behind it, odd feeling at 1st kinda like your on a carnival ride! It turns SO FAST without damage to the lawn it's incredible. The controls are different & take a little getting used to & it doesn't "Coast". On my zt I can have a cig in my hand & let off the controls to take a drag & keep going straight, on this you can't. If you let up on 1 control then you just did a U turn & if you aren't holding on with that other hand... your now laying in the lawn! It does a have a big seat spring which is nice, it's like 2 stage. Has minor give for little bumps but if you go over a hole in the ground by accident & the machine jolts or something it gives alot & you hardly feel it. Nice smooth ride & cuts great even at a high speed. You have the option to stand up on these which I have tried & I'll say I wouldn't hesitate to buy a stander in the future either. Changed the break in oil yesterday, this thing has no drain plug! It's got a valve coming out of the engine case with a nipple on it, comes with a 2 foor clear plastic hose. Install hose, put hose in jug, open valve, close valve, change filter, add oil, done. NO TOOLS! I am very impressed with this machine so far.

Sorry to be song long winded, I type fast & sometimes doen't even realize how much I've typed!?

Steve
07-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Well this is certainly going to be interesting to see how this mower helps increase profitability and allows you to expand.