PDA

View Full Version : Marketing dollars

grounded
06-23-2008, 05:15 AM
what has a new and old customer cost your business to retain them for this season in advertising dollars (avg.)

(total advertising dollars spent) / ( total customer base) = cost per customer

We spent $ 6.83 to acquire and retain new and old customers (weekly mowing accounts) this season and was wondering what everybody else has spent?

Thanks for the reply

Tom

Steve
06-23-2008, 05:29 AM
I would say that is a fantastic acquisition cost per customer! Nice job! I look forwards to hearing more from others.

What kinds of things did you do this year to keep old customers and get new ones?

grounded
06-24-2008, 04:50 AM
Most importantly - we kept our name out front, fresh in the mind of our existing customers each month (November - February).
Pushed for referrals and targeted the areas we wanted to work with fliers.
Staying focused on target areas helped keep acquisition cost to a minimum

I must say that our website is picking up more traffic and estimate requests from stray customers.
My thought on this is: fuel prices chased a lot of lowballers out of the area or out of the business all together. I have seen landscape business's for sale on craigs list. Almost makes you wonder what they know and I'm about to find out!

We're going to ride out the storm, stay strong and hopefully next year will be even better.

Tom

Steve
06-24-2008, 05:22 AM
Very interesting thoughts!

Most importantly - we kept our name out front, fresh in the mind of our existing customers each month (November - February).

What suggestions do you have for start ups on how to keep their names out there in the winter months?

I have seen landscape business's for sale on craigs list. Almost makes you wonder what they know and I'm about to find out!

Would you buy lawn care accounts from such lcos?

grounded
06-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Keeping our name out front by way of postcards to all past and present customers with a $5.oo discount coupon.
This Works very well and I am always very surprised at the 2 year old coupons or an advertised price quote from last season that comes back to us.
where do they put these things for such a long period of time? - and remember that they even still have them!

Regarding buying accounts: I would be more interested in the LCO's reputation and equipment condition. Buying accounts is nice but there is no guarantee that the client will keep you on - even with a contract (which we don't use) so in the end, your left with reputation and equipment.

Steve
06-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi Tom,

When you are offering your $5.00 discount, is it just a general $5.00 discount or do you promote other services in conjunction with it?

We have seen many different marketing offers on here, do you have any thoughts on why you choose $5.00?

Steve
07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Has anyone else calculated their customer acquisition costs?

StartALawnCareBusiness
07-23-2008, 03:01 PM
what has a new and old customer cost your business to retain them for this season in advertising dollars (avg.)

(total advertising dollars spent) / ( total customer base) = cost per customer

We spent $ 6.83 to acquire and retain new and old customers (weekly mowing accounts) this season and was wondering what everybody else has spent?

Thanks for the reply

Tom

Tom:

You have done some great analysis of your customer base.

I am interested in a further breakdown?

How much does a brand new customer cost to acquire per dollar of revenue he generates

vs.

how much does an existing customer cost to retain per dollar of revenue he generates?

If we can get a general feel for the answer to this question we can get a better understanding if it is worthwhile buying customer lists from other LCO's and how much should be paid for those customer lists.

Looking forward to your answer:

Keith