PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Costs.....Revisited

musician/lawnman
06-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Hey guys I just wanted to complain out loud so to speak....

I just got done updating & entering my expense logs....

Holy Hell.... In the last 2 months with 1 truck/trailer, 1 mower & the usual hand tools I have spent over $1300 in fuel!
$650+ a month is a little nuts aint it?

Just wondering if the other 1 crew companies on here are in this same ballpark on fuel expenditure?

VPS Lawn Care
06-23-2008, 12:33 AM
:( i know what you mean, it is real hard for me just getting going and all, may i spent $487 on fuel and that was a big bite, when will it stop? Bush started all this and i guess it was a long time coming but holly crap man, i paid 4.01 a gal today and thats insane.......real tuff, i am in florida too, and , ****, just sux, could go on ranting all nite about this subject so i will leave it alone......UUUUGGGGGGGGG

musician/lawnman
06-23-2008, 07:44 PM
I paid $4.09 a week or so ago..... it's gone down a few cents but I'm sure it'll just rebound even higher.

Steve
06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
What are you doing now to keep your gas usage to a minimum? Is it effecting the way you create your routes or who you will or won't take as a customer?

musician/lawnman
06-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Steve, it does come into play a bit, but at the same time as business grows you are going to spend more to make more.
Real example:
I got a phone call today from 1 potential customer about 5 min past my boarder of where I will normally go & told them I would in fact accept the account..... 2 hours later I got a call from a friend who's parents live just around the corner from that customer.... they're old guy went m.i.a. & there pissed. He refered them to me & that's who they want doing their lawn now. Now if I told customer A no I would have cost myself the efficiency of going a little further for 1 account, instead of 2 nearby. What the hell ya gonna do ya know?!

musician/lawnman
06-23-2008, 09:39 PM
:mad: P.S. that little bug in your avatar is driving me nuts! I keep thinking theres a nat om my laptop screen!

Steve
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
LOL I thought the bug was funny.

What made you accept the first job? Did you charge more because it was outside your area?

Also how do you determine the area that will be your border of where you will and won't work out of?

Little's
06-23-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm spending $200 per week. I am also trying to minimize unnecessary driving. Trying to be more efficient in my routes, trips to home depot etc.

justin_time
06-23-2008, 10:58 PM
So far, I've paid for May 2008

Vehicle fuel - 395.72
Equipment fuel - 99.52

Total - 495.24$

Note. I do alot of driving

UniversityLandscapers
06-23-2008, 11:04 PM
I spend $100 each fill for my truck, and I go through a little over a tank each work week, plus about 2 gallons/week in my mower and a gallon/week for the trimmer/blower. So for me, that works out to about $560/month.

Next week, we get the new provincial gas tax, which will start out at $0.10/gallon and progressively rise until 2012 when it hits $0.48/gallon. With gas at $5.92/gallon, that will put it past $6/gallon next week :mad:

musician/lawnman
06-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Dave,
Either you are driving a crazy distance to mow only 4 or 5 lawns a week or you have an incredibly efficient mower..... $100 for the truck, & only 2 gallons for the mower? The ratio seems a little off....? If I stop a typical fill up is like 18-20 gal for the truck, 7-8 gal in the mower, 1-2 gallons in the tanks for 2 cycle fuel.

Just asking....?

UniversityLandscapers
06-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Haha ya...I just use a 22" push mower, so I fill up a 2 gallon can once a week. One tank of gas on the mower (maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of a gallon) lasts me 3 lawns usually (lawns here are 1000-3000 sq ft). I usually drive around 400km (250 mi) a week.

VPS Lawn Care
06-24-2008, 12:39 AM
I am currently working on a deal with another LCO in the next town over that i have 5 stops, the other lco will be trading me 5 of his ( He Is based out of this town) accts in my town, the ones that are out of his way but just down the street from me. accts are pretty much equal in size and rev. will be a good deal for both of us, will save at least 26 gal a week of gas, thats aprox. a savings of $105 bucks a week!.. switching on the 1st of july.

UniversityLandscapers
06-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Wow...that's a sweet deal. I've been thinking about something like that, but I don't really know where to begin...I guess Craigslist?

The problem is that the neighbourhood I live in is the most lucrative in the city (bigger lots, fancier houses, etc), so I think it would be hard to get rid of my suburban contracts to a company that would want to give away some of their high class city contracts.

Steve
06-24-2008, 06:11 AM
I am currently working on a deal with another LCO in the next town over that i have 5 stops, the other lco will be trading me 5 of his

Sherman, that is great! How did you set that up? What advice do you have for others on how to do that?

VPS Lawn Care
06-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Sherman, that is great! How did you set that up? What advice do you have for others on how to do that?

It is Kinda funny how it came about. As you know i have only been up and running an lco this time for about 3 month. Well i got 1 cust in the plantation cc area and then another from refferal, then another till i had 5 on the same street over there.average pays aprox $35 a week for basic 101 lawn care stuff. Well while servicing them over the last few weeks i have got to know this other lco that does most of the accts in this area. then i started seeing him in my area, alot. we both seen each other when stopping at the local 7/11 store several times a week and started talking about the buiss, and how bad the gas prices are getting, he is also a 1 man show. Well i got to thinking about it one night and asked him the following day, if he had any regular contracts in the lake estates area he said he did found out only 5 as i did in his area. It started there and now here we are. i kinda got the better end, though not by much, his accts will pay aprox $50 more a month to me then mine to him.
The best way to find out if this is possible for others to do is just strike up a conversation with the other local LCO's in your area. I find that though this buiss can be cut throught at times all we all want to do is make a living and do it the cheapist way possible, the common ground. hope this helps others to save money and fuel.

Steve
06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
That is fantastic! I am looking forwards to hearing how all this works out.