PDA

View Full Version : New Business starting problems?

rwslippey
06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice regarding marketing and general business...

I started about a month ago trying to get a business together (actually long story short it was a couple years ago) (few years ago had the business running with two large commercial contracts, church and a childrens camp... witch kept us busy all summer long... however I never (at the time) relized to potential and eventually after these orginizations lost funding and started useing volunteers we never seeked any more business... but I am back at it again , and , I'v had flyers up... been passing out cards.. no call , not a single one... did some research on businesses in the area... the largest charges fuel surchages so the latest flyer I put up a few days ago was the fuel surcharge flyer with the free mow promotion.... still now calls. curious what I am doing wrong or if the market in this area is flooded or if its just not appealing to my area?

I drove around town a few days ago and wrote down the addresses of homes that seemed to be occupied and had uncared for lawns. these addresses consist of about 66 and I was planing on sending a postcard to the addresses hopeing to generate atleast some estimates. Some thing to atleast get me going. looking for some ideas on that...

I gues my question is, what am I doing wrong and how do I change it (atleast before the summer is over???)

Thanks everyone in advance

Team Gopher
06-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi rwslippey (http://www.gopherforum.com/member.php?u=6045),

My first question I would ask is, out of all the people you know in your area, how many know you are in business? How many of your friends? Or friends friends? How many of your family members? Your neighbors?

The basics of it all is that you need to let these people know. Are you handing out business cards? Are you using craigslist.com?

Are you involved in any local community groups?

VPS Lawn Care
06-23-2008, 12:24 AM
kinda new myself, but what i have learned ( mostly on this forum) is that you need to target the types of cust. you want. pick them out then send them the flyers, i found a great deal of good ones that are free to download on this site. Always start the mesage off with a grabber of what will benifit the cust, why they need you. i have sent out exactly 235 flyers ea. week for the last 5 weeks, and all of them to the same potential custs. the 1st week i only had 1 request for an est, and i did not get that one. The next week i got 3 new accts. i thought about time, 3rd & 4th week i got requests for a total of 7 est. and i got 4 of those 7. but last week was the best, from mon to sat had aprox 30 calls, did 19 est. got 12 jobs, 9 for the rest of summer, 3 1 time deals. so far i think this is what has worked for me, also i use craigs list, have got a couple that way, now up to 23 accts in just 2 1/2 months. well anyway, good luck, at times it seems like it wont happen and then boom it does, all at once.

rwslippey
06-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the reply steve,

Well, unfortunaly, I am not a good salesman, witch must change... I used to work with ADT as a Sales rep and decided it was time for a change due to , no income as I wasnt good at sales so I moved on and now I am here...

I am currently working with a few friends renivating an apartment above the store, I deal with the store owner on a daily basis as I am doing the electrical work for outdoor lights ( bad area more light the better) so far she has been happy with my work as far as electrical goes and their are some plans for additional work (cameras , more lights, lighted sign, ect ,ect , ) I probobly hand her a business card everyday for the business. electrical work has too many bumps in the road so.. I can do it and I am doing it now to mkae money ( do what you got to do)

Back to the business!, I have flyers in multiple stores in the area... a gas station and most people I talk to I hand a few business cards to and try to get them interested in handing them out. I have a few friends in different industries (tree work is a big one) and they usually hand alot out for me on the job... most of the people I am wokring with know I am in business but yet I'v given one estimate witch I underestimated the price and still didnt get the work.. (asked a store own if I could put a flyer up in the store and got asked for an estimate of her rental property)

I am working on signs for my truck and maybe for a few freinds to ride with them on their vehicles for a while to see how much of a posative influence it has.... Still no calls... I personally and as a horrible ex sales rep can honestly say my netowkring skills are not work but I have been talking and handing business cards to everyone I possibly can.... I have a nice designed business card ( in my opionion I know a graphic designer would laugh at me) and just updated my flyers with a free mow....

I have been woundering if it is too late in the season to get people interested.

A few weeks ago would have been great as it was very hot and very hummid ( I'v neve said this before but I cant wait to see some humidity)

rwslippey
06-23-2008, 12:42 AM
at times it seems like it wont happen and then boom it does, all at once.

That'd be nice... my luck something would break the day I got the thrity calls...

The one estimate was for a fairly normal sized lawn and I offered 45

turns out the cust got a quot for 15 to cut and trim... somethings wrong with this

my target I think would be elderly as their are alot of elderly postential most in the area are retired and can generally afford it from retirement (lot of work in this area with apparently decent benifits)

and (here i go sounding weird)

for the most part I can get along great with the elderly, I always make a good impresion on most of the older generations and they are usually very please with me... guess my grandmother did somethin right haha...in additinal to that this area is full of extra work to be done...some abandoned properties, home, ect but elderly I think would be the target as it does get hard exspecially in the humid weather for them to take care of it themselves and it becomes alot to keep up with for them (sometimes it need to be cut 2 and 3 times a week in this area)

Goodluck and thats for the info

curous though what did you send your potential customers that worked so well?

VPS Lawn Care
06-23-2008, 01:26 AM
Well my DaD always had a saying and i Quote " KISS< Keep it simple stupid", and that is the therory i used when making my flyer. I would post it here but not sure how to, but it was kinda like this........

IT's A Hot And Humid Day!, Don't Feel Like working In the heat today? Have a cold drink, and i will take care of your lawn

Basic Pkg.101 Mow, Trim, And blow........Free Est.

Pkg 201 Mow, trim, Blow, edge, maintain beds........Free Est.

We also Do Hedge trimming................Free Est.

Tree Trimming..............................Free Est.

Hard Scapes......................Free est.

And Much, Much, More........................Relax, Give me a call for your Free Est.

VPS LawnCare
Dependable,Professional - Always

Hope this helps

Team Gopher
06-23-2008, 03:15 AM
You all are really doing a great job with what I read so far.

I would post it here but not sure how toIf you can, send me an email (slow@gophersoftware.com) of the flyer and I will get it up on here.

I think the sales skills you will learn as you go. The big thing now is getting some customers so you can see you really can do this. Once you start getting them, you will have more confidence that it will work.

If you find you are bidding a lawn at $45 and someone else is doing it for $15, you don't want that customer.

One of the ways we see on here time and time again that works is going door to door and handing out flyers on weekends or after the work day. Say hello and give them an estimate on the spot too.

Think of getting your business going as if you were running for mayor. You want everyone to think you are such a nice guy and that you will take care of their lawn care needs.

Craigslist is great cause it's free but because of that, there is also a downside that everyone uses it.

I would think that if you walked your neighborhood and said hi to your neighbors and handed them a flyer, you would see more customers coming to you. You don't need to be a salesman to do this. All you need to do is just say hi and let them know you are their neighbor.

Also as far as is it too late to get started. It's never too late. Right now is a great time to use the 'make the switch' flyer we have in the free flyer section.

Also here is a great post to check out

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=6543

I did a search on 'getting started late.' There are a ton of ideas in some of those other posts too.

Does this help? Are you planning on trying more things like this or others to market your business?

rwslippey
06-23-2008, 01:57 PM
I just emailed my flyer and business cards...

VPS Lawn Care if its okay with you I'd like to see that flyer you have for refrence what works for you might work for me...

Rwslippey@Verizon.net

Thanks...

rwslippey
06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Hmm,,

this JUST came to me...

I was thinking of the future of my business here and figured I'd share the idea with eveyone here... in most places in the country lawn care slows down in the winter months, but on the other hand I'v noticed that alot of local equipment rental companies acctually seem to amp up in some stages of the winter...

I figure youd get two things out of this.... advertiseing and a little extra cash in the slow months...

I figure its winter as a business your slow and don't need all of your equipment you have heck you can probobly do the customers you are dealing with at the time with just your truck... (ok sure little back breaking but your not hauling a chopper off the back either)

local trailer rentals would make a great use of your equipment instead of sitting and rusting in the winter...

I'll admit in my area their are alot of "do it yourselfers" and sometimes they have the need for a trailer , so they come and rent your trailer with your sign on the side of it... theirs your advertiseing rideing around on someone elses gas dollar in the winter.... what do you guys think of it... might be some insurance issues but fine print alwasy screws everything up... (think I'm jumping the gun ALOT!)

Another one I just came up wiht... I am pretty good friends with an equipment rental company up the street and I know another one about 20 min away (big company too) wounder if I would interest them in some advertiseing with my signs on their trailers and other equipment that would go hand and hand with my company?

Steve
06-23-2008, 06:59 PM
I like the creative ideas. You should explore them more and see if they are feasible!

You could also do some home repair work in the winter. Handy man things that your local community members may need to get done.

What about snow plowing? Holiday decorations and lighting?

rwslippey
06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
I usually come up with some good ideas for business but never have the money to invest in them... wait I think everyone has that problem....

I am actually doing some handyman work right now...
I have some work I am doing for a local store... installing some light outside to light up the front of the store... and a side alley... (bad area)

I acctually have had several people ask me to look at their electrical in the home but I am really not licened to do the electrical witch could probobly turn out bad for business.. but everyone that has asked me in front of the store(busy store) I have given a business card to and explained the situation... and offered other services...

Heres a question I'v never asked... how do you get certified to minor electrical work (lights, additional outlets or repairing outlets that are faulty)

Steve
06-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I usually come up with some good ideas for business but never have the money to invest in them... wait I think everyone has that problem....

If money wasn't an option, what would you do?

Have you ever thought about installing landscape lighting? Maybe that could be done without a license or maybe you could install it and have an electrician look it over.

Heres a question I'v never asked... how do you get certified to minor electrical work (lights, additional outlets or repairing outlets that are faulty)
I don't know. Do you have any friends in the area that are electricians? Maybe they could shed some light on that?

rwslippey
06-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Unfortuanly electrical is a hard thing to get into in my opion and I'd rather not have to deal with licenseing and other issues ....

Usually to my knowledge you have to work for another electrician then you take test and get licensed and I kind of think I'd like lawn care better... less "opps" factor... tomorrow I am working back at the store... I'd like to try and make up a sign that I can leave at the job site where I am doing Handy man work and see if I get a response out of it... something to give people a number to call and see if it helps any....

UniversityLandscapers
06-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I feel sorry for you, it's come pretty easy for me just by advertising on the internet...I made flyers but have never actually handed any out.

I guess it depends on the type of people around you. I live in a province that has the highest rate of internet use in Canada, which has one of the highest rates of internet use in the world (and the highest rate of high speed internet connections in the entire world)...so internet marketing seems to be the way to go. I have a slow week this week, because I didn't get many calls, but they always seem to come in waves. My luck has come from craigslist and Google Adwords, which is what I would suggest...but that's about all I can think of.

Steve
06-24-2008, 09:08 AM
My luck has come from craigslist and Google Adwords, which is what I would suggest.

Dave, I think this came up in the past, but what would you suggest other lawn care business owners use in their ad words?

rwslippey
06-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Has anyone ever tried mailing postcards out to a list of customers...

how has it worked out and what was the general cost per 100??

UniversityLandscapers
06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Dave, I think this came up in the past, but what would you suggest other lawn care business owners use in their ad words?

Use a wide range of keywords when setting it up...I don't actually manage our adwords account, so I don't really know how it works. But this year, we added a much wider range of keywords and have been generating more hits from that. For example, instead of just "lawn mowing" or "lawn care", add "grass cutting" "grass mowing" and other combinations, to try and anticipate what people would be searching for. 40% of the population in Vancouver are immigrants, many of whom speak poor English, so we had a brainstorming session to try and come up with things that Asians/Indians would search for when looking for someone to cut their lawn...that was our creative idea, but it doesn't seem to have generated much business, since we still only have one Asian customer.

rwslippey
06-24-2008, 09:27 PM
I have had experience with AD words... within another business I worked with... my experience with adword is... Its useful to an extent to get traffic to your web site however it can get very exspensive... their are better alternatives to adwords... Its known as SEO

From the research I'v done in the past I'v seen search engine optimization give better results and for the most part it is free (free for money anyways It does get time consumeing)

In the past with another business I ran , I was spending month after month with adwords with negative results( negative meaning the money goes but no business comes)

Once I started shutting down the adwords and concentrating on Search engine Optimization I noticed more traffic going to my website and it just took time not money...

Steve
06-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Sherman wrote me and sent the two files, let's see if these attachments work.

He said of the first file "Steve this is the last one i sent out, of the 5 week period, it did the best."

What do you all think?

Also Sherman, why did you design it in excel? Was it just easier for you to do that? Have you experimented with openoffice.org yet?

Steve
06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Here is a screen capture of one of them as well

rwslippey
06-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Wow, this are awsome... I like this!

Think I may change it up and use this tomorrow...

I have no plans for tomorrow as of work right now so my intentions are to start working door to door in a few neighborhoods I plan on leaving a flier to those homes that I don't get an awnser.

has anyone had any experience with this practice? how well has it worked?

Steve
06-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Brandon, a member on the forum, was doing it and he found a lot of success at it.

Do you get involved with any community groups? Churches, vfw's, volunteer organizations? You could utilize them too.

Can you do anything in your area to build goodwill and get media attention? Do you see any smaller lawn care projects you could do to help someone local or even your town out?

rwslippey
06-25-2008, 11:05 PM
I contacted my a couple of town near by...
1st was closed at 1pm???
2nd the administrator was on vacation
3rd said their was no work (really ignorent)

so hopefully one of them will come through at some point...

I plan on stoppeing by the VFW (where my grandfather is very well known and liked)'

and their is a barbershop in town (again my grandfather is very well known and liked)

Hopefully something will pane out tomorrow

Little's
06-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes I did a lot of door knocking and it did work well for me. Here is a couple tips that worked.
1. Go to neighborhoods that are mostly owner occupied. The majority of renters will mow their own lawns, and the people they are renting from wont pay for lawn service.
2. If no one answers, leave a business card at the door. If someone does answer, hand them a card before (or while) you are introducing yourself so they dont have a chance to say "no thanks" and shut the door.
3. I never used flyers, only business cards. Just never had the extra money to print them.
4. Never drop flyers in driveways. This just upsets people because then they feel like they are having to clean up garbage in their driveway. As a note, there is a landscape supply company in my area that puts a small flyer and some gravel in a sandwich bag and tosses them on everyones driveways and the people I talk to get upset over this because they always have to pick it up and dispose of it. Very tacky.
5. Keep it simple. I used to say (and it varied just a bit depending on my mood), "Hi, my name is Brandon (while handing them a card), and I own a landscaping business locally. Do you have any questions or concerns with your yard you would like me to answer for you today? Please call me if you do. Thank you for your time."
6. And last. When you give someone an estimate. Wait 2 days, then call back and let them know you havent forgot about them, then ask if they have any more questions about your service, etc. it gives them the impression that you wont skip their service or flake every now and then like some people do.

One more thing. If you have insurance and a business lic. you can go to the property management companies, and get tons of work. It may be hard getting your foot in the door, but once they see you are doing a good job, the work will be endless. 75% OF MY WORK COMES BY WAY OF FAX MACHINE. several jobs every day!

Hope this helps. Business has been a little slow for me also, so when your out there beating the streets, just remember that I probably am too! :)

Steve
06-26-2008, 03:56 AM
75% OF MY WORK COMES BY WAY OF FAX MACHINE. several jobs every day!

WOW! Brandon that is awesome! Is that lawn care or tree care? Are these one time jobs or seasonal?

How do you deal with the faxes? Do they fax you and ask for an estimate on a specific job or do they just say, 'can you do this for us and then bill us?'

Steve
06-26-2008, 04:01 AM
I plan on stoppeing by the VFW (where my grandfather is very well known and liked)'

Could you potentially look over the place and see if there is anything you could do to spruce it up? Maybe plant flowers or something and then just see if they could let the members know you did it?

It could be a great way to gain new customers and also come out looking like a shining star! I bet your grandfather would be proud.

You could also send out a press release to the local paper and tell them how you are honoring local veterans by cleaning up the vfw landscape. Let them know your grandfather is a member and you wanted to help them.

I bet you would get some press coverage.

rwslippey
06-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Being an ex-salesman (and being completly horrible at it)

I think I found more help here then I got from my sales manager haha.... (other than) Sell Sell Sell....

I printed up serveral of the fliers simular to the ones that you posted and I plan on leaveing them at the doors where no ones awnsers ....

Also I am working on getting some information (backflash here....

when I was working at this before we had a contract with a church (graveyard whole nine) the local media cought wind of another cemitary that had 3 owners some 25 years ago but they had all passed and they have beens struggleing to find the relatives (to care for the property) The property is still deserted to this day... and lawn care has always been a problem but the media did a nice job and talked about the church that we maintained being very neatly manicured while the cemitery across the street was overgrown and (while we were not mentioned it did give us a congrats and nice work from the church members) so hopefully in the future I can maybe get ahold of someone within the boro and maybe sponsor a volentery cleanup of the area and provide food for volenteers and (i chock when I say this but maybe fuel to help.... unfortuanly the property is just way too big for me to cut... with just the advertiseing...

I am working on gettin ahold of an old friend of my grandfather's who tends to the VFW a couple days a week and talk to him about what we can do for the VFW.. (another thing I will have going with veterains is I am also of military backround ...) Speaking of I'm wearing my ARMY shirt right now (no no uniforms yet)

Brandon, thanks for all the advice... I'll let you know how it all works... unfortunaly I got a late night call and had to go take care of something for a family memeber last night so... late start today but, most people will be comeing home from work soon so It could pane out..

Rob

Little's
06-26-2008, 03:49 PM
WOW! Brandon that is awesome! Is that lawn care or tree care? Are these one time jobs or seasonal?

How do you deal with the faxes? Do they fax you and ask for an estimate on a specific job or do they just say, 'can you do this for us and then bill us?'

I work with 2 PMC's and when I first started doing work for them, they used to have me give them a quote first. Now they just fax me the job and I will bill them monthly. Unless the jobs are more than $250, I give them an oral quote, and they usually just approve it and I get it done.
The work is both trees and landscaping work. A lot of tree trimming, irrigation repairs, and yard clean-ups. They also have me bid on weekly yard services for them, but I end up getting underbid on most of those for some reason.
I have found they really appreciate the jobs getting done quick. If they have to wait a week or more, then they will call some of their other vendors.
The faxes come in as a work order with the address, job description, and renters contact number. I check the fax machine when I get home, and fit the jobs in my schedule for the next day or 2.
The PMC's each manage about 1500 properties, so you can imagine they have plenty of work to go around. It was fairly easy getting my foot in the door. Here's what I did. I was driving by a home with an overgrown yard that had a for rent sign in the front lawn. I called the # and told them I could take care of it right now for them. They said I had to have my ins. and bus. lic. on file with them first (I already knew this). I struck up a little conversation with the lady so she would remember me. I took my paperwork in the next day and asked if they had any work right away. "Not at the moment, but we'll call you".
I waited 2 days, called back and asked the lady again. "Not at the moment", she said. I waited 2 more days and called again. "Well, I do have this one...", I was in. From then on it has been non stop. Persistence pays.

At least once per month I bring in either Starbuck's or fruit smoothies to all the ladies in the office. Around Christmas time I send them a basket, a Christmas card, etc. I doesnt cost me much compared to what they pay me, and it keeps me in their minds. :D

VPS Lawn Care
06-26-2008, 05:33 PM
not a problem, that is why i sent them to steve so anyone is welcome to use, hope you have as much luck as i did with them, good luck

rwslippey
06-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Thats sounds pretty good... I have a few properties around here such as the one next door witch is always overgrown and looks really trashy( built but built wrong and they have to fix it .... permit problems or something)

I called 2 townships and a boro near my home the first one I had to leave a message , the second the person dealing with that was on vaction intill july... and the third was very rude and told me that they don't have any properties that need that kind of work (lie.... ) go figure the one that was rude should be renamed to amandon city...

I will probly send a letter to all three and call the message one back tomorrow and when the girl gets off vacation I will call her back....

as far as today worked out.. I ran into a few issues but kept on going but I am very disappointed...

I started really late due to a late night call last night and over sleeping... (bad for business)

I stopped at six homes within a couple of neighborhoods (go figure last week nobodys lawn was cut and today everyone's was.... I talked to two people out of the 6..... the first said " I don't own the house" and slammed the door (with his grass knee high and 4 doors barking outragously)

the second I talked to for quite a while about business and how the heat was makeing it too hard for him to do some of his yard work (unfortunatly he is wants to tend to it now that it isnt so humid but.... he said later this summer when it gets warmer he will call if he needs anything... and he also told me to talk to a few of his neighbors who had a nice sized yard and usually pays good but can't get someone to consistenly come back and cut it (always looking) turns out he worked and retired from where my grandfather retired...

Tomorrow I'll be back at it... I have to finish some work up at the store and then moveing on.... Haven't got any calls back from the other 4yet... but we'll see what happens...

I noticed today that their are alot of other people doing the same exact thing I am... the only way i can figure to be different is price and I made an impresion with the gentleman I spoke with today He had someone else looking at his lawn and they wanted 65 dollars plus fuel surcharge.... I told him my price was 45 and he seemed to like that... I am confident that he will call if he needs anything...

darn I am long winded...

Steve
06-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Thats sounds pretty good... I have a few properties around here such as the one next door witch is always overgrown and looks really trashy( built but built wrong and they have to fix it .... permit problems or something)

I called 2 townships and a boro near my home the first one I had to leave a message , the second the person dealing with that was on vaction intill july... and the third was very rude and told me that they don't have any properties that need that kind of work (lie.... ) go figure the one that was rude should be renamed to amandon city...

I will probly send a letter to all three and call the message one back tomorrow and when the girl gets off vacation I will call her back....

You got a lot going on and I am happy to hear it! I love hearing all the updates. Don't give up.

I was thinking about something as I read your post. You called the towns up looking for properties to help clean up or town areas? Well, I am guessing if none of these people that are going to answer the phone are going to be too interested in this then why not just do it on your own. Find an area that has a lot of traffic and is an eye sore. Just clean the place up and take pictures of it as you go. Contact the local paper. Tell them how you tried to contact the town and no one seemed to care. Then tell them YOU CARE. You are a resident who also 'happens to run a lawn care business' and you want to make a difference. I bet this gets you some press attention. Also maybe create a little write up. In fact if you do something like this, we can help you do that on here. Then send it to the paper!

If you did this often enough, you would become the golden boy of the town!

That would be great for business.

Little's
06-27-2008, 01:12 AM
I was thinking about something as I read your post. You called the towns up looking for properties to help clean up or town areas? Well, I am guessing if none of these people that are going to answer the phone are going to be too interested in this then why not just do it on your own. Find an area that has a lot of traffic and is an eye sore. Just clean the place up and take pictures of it as you go. Contact the local paper. Tell them how you tried to contact the town and no one seemed to care. Then tell them YOU CARE. You are a resident who also 'happens to run a lawn care business' and you want to make a difference. I bet this gets you some press attention. Also maybe create a little write up. In fact if you do something like this, we can help you do that on here. Then send it to the paper!

If you did this often enough, you would become the golden boy of the town!

That would be great for business.
Hey Seve, that is a great idea. I think I might do that in my town. Although there is a group of fiesty old ladies that I might have to compete with.
You could really make a story if your town had you arrested for trespassing. But you know what they say, any publicity is good publicity! :D

Steve
06-27-2008, 01:45 AM
Well say for instance you kept it simple at first. Say there is an area that has a lot of garbage around it. Like a park. Something where you could help out by cleaning up an eye sore without it being too much of a problem.

Could you get arrested for being on town property and cleaning stuff up? Maybe, but my view is, if you are helping out doing a good deed and people see it, no one is gonna bother you.

To get approval to do something like this at times is like trying to move heaven and earth to get through the bureaucracy.

Sometimes a little initiative is all it takes to get attention.

The world is full of places we can all lend a hand to help out if we just take a moment and think about where we would get the most bang for our buck.

You could really make a story if your town had you arrested for trespassing. But you know what they say, any publicity is good publicity!

I can't find the article now, but every once in a while a group will go out in a town and pay a parking meter when it's over due. It was a good will gesture that got them media attention and I do believe some people were arrested for it!

When people trying to do a good deed are arrested, it does seem to draw a lot of media attention.

rwslippey
06-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Well heres some more going on..

Talked to a friend this weekend... also in business (tree biz) has a nice job he just finished for someone... and the guy is looking for someone to lay top soil down on his front lawn and seed it... any ideas on how to quote this...?

Steve
06-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Check this post out on how to estimate top soil jobs.

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7137

Does this help?

Also, being that he is in a complimentary business, can you co market with him? Like hand out door hangers with your company on one side and his on the other? Or maybe implement some other marketing ideas together?

rwslippey
07-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Finally... got my first job... :D

well not quite lawn care but I guess it could be concidered landscaping but...

Well... friend in the tree biz called and said he just cut a tree down and prior to him bringing down the tree a large limb had fallen and broke the neighbor's fence... so its a repair job... but its still the first job so... theirs hope!!!

Steve
07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Congratulations! Did you take pictures?

rwslippey
07-10-2008, 10:20 PM
no picture....

pretty much just a broken fence... and tomorrow it will be fixed... however they are looking to have a few shrubs planted...

Steve
07-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Rob,

Consider taking pictures of everything you do. It will help you with your website to show before and after work. You can also use this in your marketing material!

Keep up the great work!