PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Robbins, co creator of Baskin-Robbins

Steve
05-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Isn't it amazing how all these great brands and stores are almost always started with one person and a dream?

I never knew the history being Baskin-Robbins until I read this article. What an amazing story.

If you get a chance, do a search on Irvine and read more about him. I hope his story inspires you.

Co-founder of Baskin-Robbins ice cream dies (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24488013/) - Robbins opened his first ice cream store in Glendale, Calif., in December 1945, following his discharge from the Army. He used $6,000 from a cashed-in insurance policy his father had given him for his bar mitzvah.

His cousin Sybil Hartfield bought $39 of the first day’s sales of $53, according to the biography.

His brother-in-law, the late Burton Baskin, opened his own ice cream store in neighboring Pasadena a year later. By the end of the 1940s, they had joined forces to create Baskin-Robbins. Robbins recalled they used a flip of the coin to decide which name came first.

They also decided to sell their stores to managers, pioneering the franchise concept for ice cream stores.