PDA

View Full Version : Boyd Coddington the "King of Hot Rods"

Steve
03-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I was a big fan of Boyd and all his automotive creations. I loved watching his show American Hotrod.

He really lived the car lover and manufacturers dream.

What did you think of him and what he created?

A little background (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyd_Coddington).

Coddington grew up on a farm in Rupert, Idaho, reading all the car magazines he could, and got his first car (a 1931 Chevrolet truck) at age 13.[2] He attended machinist trade school at Idaho State University and completed a three-year apprenticeship in machining. In 1966, he moved to California building hot rods by night and working as a machinist at Disneyland during the day. He soon became known for building unique hot rods and in 1977 he opened his own shop, Hot Rods by Boyd, in Cypress, California. His first customer was Vern Luce whose car (a 1933 coupe) won the Al Slonaker Award at the 1981 Oakland Roadster show, a prestigious award for those "in the know."

In 1988, Coddington founded Boyds Wheels, Inc., to manufacture and market custom automobile alloy wheels made from billet aluminum. His aluminum wheels were an industry first and many innovative designs are credited to Boyds Wheels. By 1997, Coddington (along with his then chief designer Chip Foose), was inducted into the Hot Rod Hall of Fame

Boyd Coddington: 1944-2008

bcseo.com
12-12-2008, 08:59 PM
It was an interesting show, but I hope the way he treated his staff was just for drama on the show. I have owned several businesses and I know the value of good people. When I find a good employee I treat them well, so they stay with me and make my business stronger. Boyd seemed to often treat staff poorly, I know I would not work for him very long.

But he did produce some beautiful machines
RIP Boyd

Steve
12-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Very true. Watching his show always made me cringe as far as the way he treated his staff. I think a bunch of them went off to work with Chip Foose. In fact, I think Chip Foose also got his start with Boyd. What a talented group they are!

I have owned several businesses and I know the value of good people.

What kinds of businesses were they? What did you like or dislike about them?

rlcs08
12-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Im sorry, but he was a D!CK! I met the man once and treated me like dirt just b/c he saw my truck and "didn't care for rat rods" I didnt really care for his type of trailer queen work either, but thought he might be worth meeting. I was wrong. I know first hand why some of his employees left him and went to Foose. I would have too...

Steve
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
What do you think causes that? I mean here he was, very talented. He was surrounded with what I thought he loved, working on hotrods, yet it seemed the love he had for it didn't shine through.

Did it all just burn him out?

rlcs08
12-15-2008, 01:32 PM
What do you think causes that? I mean here he was, very talented. He was surrounded with what I thought he loved, working on hotrods, yet it seemed the love he had for it didn't shine through.

Did it all just burn him out?

I dont think he was much of a people person to begin with honestly.

Steve
12-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I dont think he was much of a people person to begin with honestly.

He seemed so good at what he did, I just have to wonder if somewhere he lost his love for everything because running the business was tough. I think he had gone through bankruptcy in the past with his wheel business. Maybe that effected him.