PDA

View Full Version : Backlash against owner of bikini lawn care company

Steve
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
From Lee's site.

Here is a story from Lee's site. What's your view?

My view is, what ever you do, no matter what it is, you will offend someone. So don't let it get to you. If this becomes a big mess, then get out of it for a while and sponsor a men's team and bring along some "Tiger Time Girls" to cheer at the games.

Always make lemonade from lemons.

Quote[/b] ]August 21, 2007

Backlash against owner of bikini lawn care company
Memphis, Tn.
Lee Cathey's claim to fame is Tiger Time Lawn Care. At a customer's request, Cathey will send women in bikinis to do your yard work. But it may be the bikini cut that forces Cathey out of an organization he's been part of for years.

"It's an act of perversion," said Dewayne Lufcy. "It's degrading to women."

Lufcy is a parent. He doesn't appreciate Tiger Time Lawn Care or its owner. Owner Cathey serves as part of the Shelby Youth Sports League. "I don't want my kids affiliated with him period."

Lufcy says he's thinking of pulling his children out of the league in protest.

"That's okay, that's their opinion," said Cathey. "It's no different than going to the beach. It's no different than seeing models on the runway."

Cathey says he loves giving back to a league in which he used to play. Since 1994 he's helped an organization with children ages 6 to 14 participate in football, track and cheerleading. "It's fun. It's something I enjoy. Working with 300-400 kids every year, year in and year out."

We couldn't find many people to speak against Cathey. In fact, just the opposite. Chris Barker told us Cathey is "just a dedicated person who loves kids and loves to watch them grow and earn the discipline that they get from sports."

Lufcy on the other hand says he's not convinced and he's not giving up without a fight. He plans to voice his complaints in front of the Shelby Youth Sports League's Board of Directors during a meeting next Tuesday.

Andrew Douglas

Ernest
08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
I almost do not see how it is degrading when the woman is willingly doing this on their own terms and they are not being forced to do this. Just take a look at hooters there are alot of people who do not approve of the waiters uniform. I think it is the women who are insecure about who they are that have the problem. It's amazing how one person can take an idea and actually apply it to something, and make it work and continue to grow with it. Keep up the good work Lee and don't let a few sour attitudes stop you.
Tommorrow's another day.

Steve
08-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Ernest,

Thanks for your input. Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you were getting negative feedback for something you were working on or doing involving your business or other parts of your life? How did you handle it and what advise would you have for others in dealing with such issues?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
08-29-2007, 09:46 PM
I haven't had any negatives yet with my current endeavor, but this is what has worked well for me in the past in my other job.

Separate opinions from verifiable factual information. Opinions are commonly formed from personal beliefs fueled by half truths and other misinformation.

Timing and facts are the key to dealing with negatives. Pick your battles, don't get drawn into those circles on somebody else's terms.

When the time comes, concentrate on the positives and facts.

Should the opportunity presents itself to confront the other person to be specific in claims they have made, always put it to them in the form of a question.

When done right, it puts the monkey on their back to justify their position. You may not win them over, but it is possible it may be the last you hear of them.

Steve
08-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!

Do you ever find it to be the case that there is success behind doors that others guard? What I mean by that is, you have an idea you would like to experiment with and you present it to others. You get some negative feedback but decide to push on anyways only to find the idea has merit and is profitable?

TigerTime
08-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Here is an update to the story. It is great.
This one lone individual showed up to make this big negative situation for me. Well it ended in a big time positive.
Members of the youth organization started a petition in my behalf and many hundreds of signatures were but on it.
The organization after seeing it dropped it like a hot potato.
It really goes to show if your treating people right they will back you in many different ways and some you do not expect. People came out to my football field that has not been around in years to show their support.
You gota love it.

Steve
08-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I am very happy to see you had such support! I can't get over that!

I think it is fantastic. This shows the level of goodwill you have between you and your community!

Ernest
08-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Good Form!http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I have not had any negative out put so far besides people saying that I am crazy and that I can not do it, But I just giggle and say sure I can. and ask theme why not? but then they can not give me a straight answer.
and I have to give qutto's to s.p. martin lawn care for his input, it makes sense.

Steve
08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
From my experience, I have heard so many stories of those who wanted to start a business and when they bounced the idea off their family or friends, in general the majority were told they were crazy to think or do that.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
08-30-2007, 05:03 PM
People that tend to be negative in their opinions of what you are attempting to establish, are controlled to a significant extent by fear. It can be fear of failure, fear of the unknown, and even fear of success. Mix in some jealousy and lack of initiative, and you can see why you face such negative feedback.

When confronted with these people, run the other way! Seek out like minded folks.

Remember these sayings, I use them all the time.

Life is short, eat desert first.

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

There is no rewind in life.

Cemeteries are large collections of unfulfilled dreams and untold ideas.

StartALawnCareBusiness
09-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Quote[/b] ]Life is not a dress rehearsal.

My favorite aunt used to tell me this all the time growing up. She also used to say "Shrouds do not have pockets" meaning that you cannot take it with you so you might as well enjoy it while you can.

I think you're right on the jealousy factor too.

Lee, congrats on garnering such positive support. Did you make peace with the guy? Maybe he had the best intentions and his kids' best interests at heart. I hope he went away understanding your point of view. It's cool when everyone wins.

Keith