PDA

View Full Version : Our site was down for upgrades

AMW Graphics
03-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Just a note:

Anyone that was going to our site yesterday may have noticed it was down. It is back up now, we moved to faster servers. This will decrease page load times and the time it takes to switch to our SSL (secure) server.

Also downloadable products will download at faster speeds (usualy at least 1MB/Sec.).

tiedeman
03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
sounds great Tony

Steve
03-05-2007, 01:46 AM
Do you host your own systems or do you have a service take care of that for you?

Would you suggest that company for others needing such a service?

AMW Graphics
03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
the short answer is "both".

The long answer is we use godaddy.com for all of our sites. which hosts all pictures, html, downloadable products, etc. but the database that keeps all contact info from our forms (like request a quote, contact us, and a few others) is hosted onsite. this just keeps our customers info in house...instead of a huge building in CA. We also backup the webservers automaticly to the "in house" server 1 per week.

I would highly recomend godaddy to EVERYONE. They have basic hosting at less than $40 per year + $10 for your domain name...so for LESS than $50 you get:

The largest hosting company (there is a reason why..lol)
24 hour tech support (and they are good, fast, friendly)
5000MB's storage (5 gigs)
250 gigs of data transfer (Not to many landscaping company's could need more!)
500 email accounts
10 MySQL databases
50 email forwards
free forums, blogs, photo galleries,
NO AD's (of course since you are paying for it..lol)

THis MIGHT sound like an AD, but i dont make a penny from them...they are just the best hosting company around IMO.

We have had websites online for over 10 years and used our fare share of hosting Co's and will never leave them.

here's what they did for us the other day.
They asked to move our whole graphics & signs site (over 50 gigs) to new servers to speed up the time it would take to go from our "regular" webserver to our "SSL" server (there was an almost 1 min. delay. which was causing lost sales) and speed up the forms, conection speed, etc.

They even asked if we would like to pick the day and time they did the move (as our site would be un reachable) so as to not interupt the move.

I will also mention that a LOT of the "little" hosting companies are just a "store front" for someone reselling godaddy!
and they usually offer LESS EVERYTHING for more money per year.

...like i said the long answer...lol

Steve
03-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Very interesting stuff!

I don't know if I saw this or not but have you considered hosting lawn care websites now?