PDA

View Full Version : Community interaction lawn sign

Steve
02-22-2007, 09:39 PM
How about this. What if you take up the community issue of safe driving and you create these signs. You could also make a page on your website about how you promote safe driving.

Maybe if people feel drivers drive too fast on certain streets you could come and place these signs along the road?

Do you think it is a good idea or not to associate yourself with a community issue?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
02-26-2007, 07:36 PM
I like the idea of being involved. Involved people make things happen.

In my home city there is a rather restrictive sign ordinance on the books limiting the size, locations, set backs, and purpose. The above sign would not cut it.

Check to see if your locale restricts or regulates signs before spending the time and effort.

Steve
02-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Have you ever seen other businesses get involved with their community in a way that appeared to be a win-win for both of them? Can you think of any examples?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
02-27-2007, 08:35 AM
There is an Adopt A Highway program that I think is sponsored via the federal DOT in block grants to the individual states. You have probably seen the signs indicating certain sections of roads have been adopted by certain organizations and they are responsible for cleaning the sides of the roads once a month.

Check with you state rep or senator to look into it. They can usually get an answer quicker than you can since they roam the state capitol grounds all the time.

Another tactic is to come up with an idea and do your homework on the costs, benefits, purpose, and all the other info necessary to convince your state and/or federal reps to work with you in uncovering grants to fund it all or in part. I've had a hand in trying that, its not easy, but can be fun, depends on how you approach it.

Steve
02-27-2007, 08:36 PM
That is a great idea! I didn't even think of that.

Adopt-A-Highway would actually really give a lawn care operator a way to show off their talents. Maybe they could even plant some flowers or something like that.