PDA

View Full Version : Stratch your head with this one?

tiedeman
03-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Ok, I have been thinking about this one for the last couple of months and it's in regards to me making the switch over to strictly lawn and landscaping applications:

Is it good to still offer your current services to new customers, even though you want to get out of doing that? What I am trying to say is, should you still try to present your image as a maintenance company, or move on, and get that out of potential customers heads, and only offer strictly lawn application work and don't accept on anything else except lawn applications?

Steve
03-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi tiedeman,

I think this comes down to the business direction goal. If the goal is to "switch over to strictly lawn and landscaping applications" then I personally would "move on, and get that out of potential customers heads, and only offer strictly lawn application work and don't accept on anything else except lawn applications?"

However if your business is growing and you still need to keep a few irons in the fire in case thinks don't work as planned, it doesn't hurt to have other revenue streams to keep you afloat.

What's your view?

tiedeman
03-20-2006, 09:36 PM
That is a good view. I have always been known around the city as a lawn maintenance company, so it's going to be hard to get it into peoples minds that I am only going to be an application company. With this in mind, I personally think that I should not accept on any new non-application customers. Because the longer that I accept those on the longer customers will think that I still offer the other.

Steve
03-20-2006, 09:58 PM
It will also be taking you away from your intended goal.

tiedeman
03-20-2006, 10:14 PM
that is so true. If I keep the business in that mindset, and my customers in that mindset, it will be really hard to direct everything towards the other goal

tiedeman
03-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Well, a situation has come up. Currently I maintain a lawn next to a potential customer that just called today for an estimate. I am thinking that sure, this would be easy money, only having to unload once for two properties, yet in the back of my mind I am thinking about telling them that sorry, I can't do it, because I am getting out of it

Steve
03-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi tiedeman,

If you decide not to do them, I would suggest not to waste an opportunity to build an alliance with another company that would like to do it. You could consider sending these clients to another company who does maintenance but not lawn application.
You would them be using this as an opportunity to build good will. It would then most likely return to you when the LCO turned application business your way.

tiedeman
03-21-2006, 08:10 PM
I am actually already teamed up with a strictly lawn maintenance company in the area. They do no applications at all.

I did that about 3 weeks ago. I dropped off my business cards to them, and they are going to send them out when they do their annual welcome letter here within the next week.

Steve
03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I think that is going to be helpful in the future with you.

It would be great if you could work with them on other things as well. How about door hangers with your company on one side and them on another?

tiedeman
03-21-2006, 08:14 PM
That is a possibilty that I never thought about

Steve
03-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Maybe you could say something like

"Two great companies, One great Price."

Come up with a plan where if the customer signs up for lawn maintenance and applications they get a discount for it.

tiedeman
03-21-2006, 11:07 PM
I am trying to do that with an interior applicator as well. We both exchanged about 50 business cards, and I know the guy personally. But I have been slowly trying to get him to do a dual marketing campaign the last 3 months.

Steve
03-22-2006, 06:38 AM
An interior applicator? What kind of services do they offer? For residential or commercial?

kc2006
03-22-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm sort of having the same problem Tiedeman. I don't want to take on many one time jobs (mulch, shrub pruning, clean ups), but I normally get a ton of them and at the moment I don't have a full mowing route so I have the time. It's just I hate doing it. It's a hard decision, do you leave the money sitting there or do you bite the bullet and do it.

If you have enough work to keep you financially happy with lawn maintenance, I'd pass the work on and tell them your strictly applications and you'd be happy to come give them an estimate for applications. You already have them on the phone try to sell yourself then.

tiedeman
03-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Mar. 22 2006,7:38)]An interior applicator? What kind of services do they offer? For residential or commercial?
The interior applicator bascially deals with bats, mice, ants, etc. that are inside the house. He also does some perimeter spraying as well. He has been doing it around here for about 20 years so far. Great guy and very friendly. He has given me a lot of advice of what organizations to join to help out.

tiedeman
03-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Quote[/b] (kc2006 @ Mar. 22 2006,9:45)]I'm sort of having the same problem Tiedeman. *I don't want to take on many one time jobs (mulch, shrub pruning, clean ups), but I normally get a ton of them and at the moment I don't have a full mowing route so I have the time. *It's just I hate doing it. *It's a hard decision, do you leave the money sitting there or do you bite the bullet and do it.

If you have enough work to keep you financially happy with lawn maintenance, I'd pass the work on and tell them your strictly applications and you'd be happy to come give them an estimate for applications. *You already have them on the phone try to sell yourself then.
Well, I passed on the job. *They were going to give it to me, but I told them because of the situation I would rather not take it. *They were actually very happy that I told them the truth about how I wont be in the maintenance side

Steve
03-22-2006, 07:08 PM
The interior applicator idea really is good! I can't wait to see what you create with them.