PDA

View Full Version : Advice to those who don't advertise?

Steve
09-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Some LCOs prefer not to advertise and only get work from word of mouth.

Do you feel this is good or bad. What would you say to those LCOs who have this view?

tiedeman
03-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I am going to revive this topic:

It all really depends I guess. I know one local LCO, the largest in the area, and since I have been in business, she has never advertised, but everybody knows her around town.

A newer company needs to not only advertise, but think it as branding. Getting your name out there for perhaps in 10 to 20 years, you may not have to advertise like the company I mentioned above

Steve
03-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Quote[/b] ]A newer company needs to not only advertise, but think it as branding.

Could you tell me more of what you mean by this?

tiedeman
03-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Well, even if you don't get results from advertising, you are getting your name out there, which is called branding. It's a way to basically put your name in front of potential customers, for months, or years down the road they will remember you and call you up for service

Steve
03-20-2006, 11:13 PM
As I sit thinking about this I am not sure. I want to say that starting out, you need to raise money fast so your marketing has to give you the most bang for the buck. But then later as you go for the long haul you do want to build more and more of a brand.

I do wonder how many new business people even consider branding when they get started. Or how many years are they in business before they start to think about that.

tiedeman
03-20-2006, 11:16 PM
To be honest this is how I look at it and it might be a bad way to look at it:

If my marketing works great for me, then I call it marketing. If my marketing does not work out and I get no customers from it, I call it branding.

Kind of a way I look at it. No matter what you don't lose (but honestly, I think that you lose when your marketing does not work).

Steve
03-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Let me start another post on this. It opens another can of worms.