PDA

View Full Version : When you started!

05-12-2008, 09:14 PM
OK..I have not seen it yet! So I wanted to be the first to post! When you first said to yourself..I wanna go into business for myself. What did you think? Did family/friends back you with your idea? Did your scare yourself at first with it? How long did it take you to get jobs/customers? And what would have you done different before you started?

1. What did I think? (man am i really doing this)

2. Did family/friends back your with your idea? (yes not one person said i could`nt)

3. Did you scare yourself at first? (More stressed that scared)

4. How long did it take you to get jobs/customers? (within one week..takes time or at-least it did for me)

5. What would I have done different? (more thought out ways to talk to people) But its a leaning curve!

Just wanted to see what others have to say about when they started!

Steve
05-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi Darren,

Welcome Darren and thank you for making such a great post on your very first posting!

This forum really has surprised me in many ways. First off, I would think everyone would go through a rough time getting themselves started. Mainly because friends and family disapproving.

Here we are, most of us, in the U.S. which is a capitalist society yet there is just not enough acceptance for those adventurers out there who want to start the adventure of a lifetime, a business.

In my opinion, people just want you to get a job and above all else, they want you to get by, but not by them.

I have read many books where the authors went through difficult times with their family and friends trying to get started, yet amazingly enough, many of the stories I have read on here haven't had to deal with that much negativity. Which ultimately is good but it really surprises me.

The only reason I have been able to come up with thus far is that because this is a service based business, you can get started with very little money and start making a profit, potentially at least, with your very first customer.

I'd love to hear your reflection on all this and from others as well.