PDA

View Full Version : Edging job

pkemeralds
05-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi,
My husband just started Lawn & Home Exterior Services biz - in our second week. Going better than I expected. (Love craigslist.org)
Anyhoo, he is working an estimate for lawn service for upscale neighborhood. Our basic service is mow, line trim & blow. This client wants edging, we're looking at approx. 200 ft.
We're in Central Indiana. Any idea what we should charge? Would like a $ for one time only as well as add on for regular client.

Steve
05-08-2008, 05:58 AM
Hi pkemeralds,

Welcome to our forum!

Does anyone have any ballpark figures they can share with her on this job?

pkemeralds
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the welcome.
I just started exploring this forum and there's just so much to see and we have a lot to learn.

I love the video cast. Great idea! Your's is the first I've seen on a forum. What a way to connect!

And you're right I'm just looking for some kind of guide line. So far we're trying to guesstimate how much time to edge and clean up (230 ft) if we can get an idea on time &/or price, it would really help us out.
we have an opportunity to get a steady customer but if we overbid it we could lose him.

Steve
05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
How long do you think it would take to perform this service?

What do you charge per man hour?

UniversityLandscapers
05-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Are you talking about edging as in going around by hand and cutting out an edge? Or just edging as part of the regular maintenance?

ProCut TM
05-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey pkemeralds,

edging is pretty much standard service here in FL everyone has curbs and sidewalks. I do up charge for a first time cut if the edge has not been done before as this takes a lot longer to do and you will usually need an edger and a shovel.

like Steve said just think of how long it will take you to do and what you are worth per hour, then go from there.

Good luck with the bid

JL

pkemeralds
05-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the responses.

We ended up trying to calc the time. Machine edge & cleanup. Guesstimated the hours, may have overbid, haven't heard back so...
We bid the 230+ feet at $60. If it took 2 hours, that would be $30 per (maybe a bit high for Indy) but if it took longer the hrly drops.
Anyway appreciated the input.

Steve
05-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Will you be doing any follow up to find out what they thought of your bid? If so how long will you wait?

Steve
05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Here is another great post to help you calculate your operating expenses which will then help you create a bid price that is right for you.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum....;t=7954 (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=35;t=7954)

Let me know if that helps.

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your question is concerning edging. *Are you putting down edging around a flower bed or are you speaking of running a cutting edger to detail a driveway or sidewalk? *You didn't give us much information to work with.

What equipment do you have and what are your costs for this job?

If you are putting edging down, I think your time estimate is low no matter how easy the job. *Have you discussed the type of edging to be put in place? *Are you running steel edging or cheap pvc?

If you are running a cutting edger, is the structure to be edged around greatly overgrown or is it a simple driveway that was edged at the end of last mowing season?

Commercial grade edgers are often rated at 60' to 90' per minute for jobs such as driveways. *Manufacturers' numbers are often inflated for real-world scenarios but 20' per minute should be within your reach depending on the intensity of the job. *230'/(20'/minute) = 11.5 minutes of edging time....even at 10'/minute your time is less than 25 minutes. *Cleanup, travel time, customer contact time, etc might round out an hour...or it might be more depending on the job.

Since you are just starting out, you should check out this website for a wealth of information about the lawn care business. *It also includes estimating calculators to help you figure jobs like this:

Let me know if you need more help:

Keith

ProCut TM
05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Quote[/b] (pkemeralds @ May 09 2008,9:03)]Thanks for the responses.

We ended up trying to calc the time. Machine edge & cleanup. Guesstimated the hours, may have overbid, haven't heard back so...
We bid the 230+ feet at $60. If it took 2 hours, that would be $30 per (maybe a bit high for Indy) but if it took longer the hrly drops.
Anyway appreciated the input.
That's cheaper then I would have bid it. You might get it send a follow up letter. Did you put an expiration date on the quote? I have "price will remain firm for 30 days from this quote" on the bottom of mine.

JL

Cliffwesternnewyork
07-28-2013, 05:07 PM
I have found that being straight up with individuals and looking up average price on google, I have found the going rate is one time deal at least $50.00 an hour, with cleaning everything up. But I charge at least $25.00 an hour

Georgia Grass
08-04-2013, 03:49 PM
When we start a new customer, we usually charge a cleanup price for the first cut, which includes the first edging (which can be a real chore if it hasn't been edged regularly before). Depending on the scope of the work and the condition of the property, the cleanup charge can be anywhere from $100 to $1000. We have a Little Wonder walk behind edger (has a 4hp Honda motor) that makes short work out of those initial edging projects. After that first edge, for subsequent visits, we just use our Stihl stick edgers.

Georgia Grass
08-04-2013, 03:53 PM
BTW, this may be a little bit off topic, but you should consider offering bed edging as a separate service. Get a good powered bed edging machine, like a Brown Bed Edger and will be able to do the jobs quickly with great looking results. We charge $1 per linear foot for bed edging, which can add up quickly.

Georgia Grass
08-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Here are some sample bed edging pics:

Steve
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Those sharp edges really make the lawn look like it's professionally cared for. very nice work!